So now fishing is over whos going hunting??

quote:Lets keep this on track ok please no need for arguing, enough said!!!!!!

It is a long standing question as to which 300 Cal mag is the best. Look on any hunting forum and you will see this same debate. But that's all this is a debate. There is no need for you to go all parental on us!

I was sipmly letting this fellow know there are 308 calibers that can more than get the job done on a moose. Bottom line 300 mag and 308 norma mag have very similar stopping power. The 308 NM used to win many competitions for 1000 yrd shots. Personally though I like the tradjectory of my 25-06. That bullet comes out the muzzle at a sizzling 3,700 fps. But only good for deer really.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

quote:Originally posted by wolf

At the muzzle it is going just over 3300 fps and at 100 yds it is 1.5 inches high zero at 300 and at 400 it drops down 7 inches.Past that I dont know, The first animal I took with it was a moose shooting across a lake which was over 450 yds on the range finder and put it just above his hump and he dropped instantly I was then hooked on it.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Pahhhhh

Thats nothing....my 300 Rem Ultra mag shoots a 180 grain Nosler Accubond at 3310 fps:D:D:D It also swallows 92 gr of Reloader 22 everytime I squeeze the trigger[:0][:p] Two inches high at 100, dead on at 310 and 6" low at 400.

Love the balistics of flat shooting calibers because it takes away the guess on how high to hold inside 400 yards, which is about as far I can shoot with a good rest and the animal standing there. I shot a caribou at a measured 427 yards, but would rather get up close and personal, if they will allow me:D

Good luck on your hunt and takes some picts.

Cheers

SS

Those are pea shooters boys ....lol
I shoot a 378 Weatherby Magnum with no break or magnaporting...300 grain Barnes X with 114 Grains of powder 3065-3100 fps.
I dropped a 50 inch moose at 550 yards on the rangefinder with 1 shot,and no signs of a bullet inside...clean shot thru, its a fun gun to have when the Griz are around.:)
The best part of it all is where it stands when you hit it is where it falls. No chasing it down:)
ANd when you let your buddies take a round[B)]
But like everything....everyone has an opinion, as long as you get out and have fun and hunt ethically thats all that counts.

Good hunting boys and Good luck:)

It always comes down to confidence and knowledge of your gun and calibre. when i shoot somone elses gun it takes aprox 1-2 boxes of shells to fully feel comfortable to hunt with it. I borrowed my grandfathers .308 for hunting one trip and was not cofortable with it. I told my partner i would not shoot anything over 150 yds. The moose we saw was about 300 yds. so i let him shoot it for me. I also am the kind of hunter who just wants to be a part of the hunt. I enjoy watching a buddys excitment and joy just as much as it being my own. He tells me that one year i will fill his tag. But he knows i wont hold him to that.

Cheers,

-Steve

I agree 100% fishflyguy, if your not confident, it just wont happen, and if your afraid of the gun it just doesn't work in your favor.

Shot a fork for the freezer last Thursday night.[^]
Heading for Quenel for week of Nov. 11. Hoping for a wall hanger![:p]

Lots of deer around localy this year.

StriperJack... That's a canon! You would have to pick me up off my a$$ after shooting that thing. Maybe you should dust it off and I'll take you out for a blacktail hunt[:0]

Tips

if i don't get any trout from Lanford Lake are there any big bucks to take down and mount?
i've always wanted to hang some antlers over my pool table! [:p]

Very cool Graham did you take the famous sandwich maker???LOL

Yes Jack you have the biggest uuuummmm gun:D:D:D LOL LOL

A buddy of mine had a 375 H&H that shot a 300 gr slug I fired it once and only once that was enough for me as it was too short for my long arms and kick the s$%t out of me LOL LOL funny thing was the guy who owns it is about 150 lbs wet and about 5 ft 5

Ill stick to mid to long range 30-06 and that new 7 mmstw good enough for me....

5 weeks and counting till chasing whitetails in sask!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Here is a few pictures of my buddies trip....I told him if he shoots a moose bigger than mine, I am back to hunting...He is getting close, my biggest is 60inch hes at 55

moose.jpg

ram.jpg

Nice bull moose that sure didnt come form central bc thats for sure LOL. word is so far moose hunting around the prince george area has been slow had a buddy come back hunting the rut and they only got 1 out of 3 tags!!!!! too damn warm and the rut stopped he said.

Bad year for every thing (I guess so far) hopefully sask turns out ok went there a bout 5 years ago and the chinook winds came in for a nice high of 27 and there wew were with snow boots so we hunted in runners LOL.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

my buddy said there were 3days that they could have no shirts on and tan, thats how warm it was.

Definately a wierd year thats for sure

Traveling through the black diamond area i see a lot of deer.Thats on the 22 hiway in alberta.Also for elk on the crows nest pass.Someone should shoot them for they are a menace on the roads.There are some masive bulls.from cranbrrok to bellvue.Although hunting them would be unsportsman like because they are standing in the middle of the road lol

thanks the runt

quote:Originally posted by striperjack

Here is a few pictures of my buddies trip....I told him if he shoots a moose bigger than mine, I am back to hunting...He is getting close, my biggest is 60inch hes at 55

moose.jpg

ram.jpg

Striperjack

Is that sheep from Alberta???

Nice moose.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Back just a week ago from an Alberta run. Loads of whitetails about, managed to fill out all of our tags in right short order, including one fine 5x5! Sweet! Saw lots of moose (no tags of course) and even the odd elk.

Now planning the Island blacktail sortie, then likely back to Alberta in November for mulies and whatever...

Been a great hunting fall thus far, certainly hoping that continues!!

Straight Shootin' Gentz!:D

Cheers,
Nog

No luck the other day......seen a few nice bucks but not close enough as i hunt with a bow!
Maybe bring my camera next time for proof.....lol
back out tonite.
Cheers all

Well I guess its back to hunting now....I ve gotta justify my reason for buy my new quad....Picked up a 2009 Grizzly 700, took it for a blast after picking it up and the love for the bush is back...Gonna have to head north in the spring and chase some Grizzlies:D

Well I guess its back to hunting now....I ve gotta justify my reason for buy my new quad....Picked up a 2009 Grizzly 700, took it for a blast after picking it up and the love for the bush is back...Gonna have to head north in the spring and chase some Grizzlies:D

Well going back up to try again for that elk and maybe get a deer
2 weeks now till sask and its getting cloder back there!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Well going back up to try again for that elk and maybe get a deer

Best of Luck on the Elk Buddy! Kenny tagged out on a HUGE one up that way just shortly ago, so there still is a few about. And if the deer ain't a giant, I'd certainly appreciate a good caping job ;)

On other fronts, the Fallow cull is nearing the end. On Stand-by for the offshore, awaiting the passage of this latest Ugly. Then back off to Alberta again (hooked on whitetails!) with a stop in the OK on the way back for the same. Hope we both find some success out on the COLD Flatlands!! [^]

Cheers & Straight Shootin'!
Nog

Back