So now fishing is over whos going hunting??

Are you serious about the snow?????that would be too cool if we had snow!!!!!!!yes we got one of those and a bugle see any deer???

barbender yes it is. Guy didnt like it "kicked" too much for him it really isnt that bad considering a normal 7mm. The barrel is a hart walker and when I took it to the gunsmith and told him what the guy was asking the words out of his mouth was if you dont I WILL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I thought I'd be done with hunting when I moved to VI but with all this hunting talk I'm getting the itch to dust the old rifle off and go shoot something.

Any spots around Sooke that a guy can go get Bambi or even Winnie :D:D
Not sure about ownership status of the land around here. Don't feel like getting in trouble for trespassing...umm...anymore.

cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

Hey wolf what kind of balistics do you get with that rifle? I would assume that there is little drop if you can sight out at 300 yrds. How does it compare with a traditional 7MM?

At the muzzle it is going just over 3300 fps and at 100 yds it is 1.5 inches high zero at 300 and at 400 it drops down 7 inches.Past that I dont know, The first animal I took with it was a moose shooting across a lake which was over 450 yds on the range finder and put it just above his hump and he dropped instantly I was then hooked on it.

I like it because it has a clip but only had one and yes lost it up moose hunting on the bike luckly had my moose down and we had another gun in camp took me a bit but finally found a clip only place that sold them was the factory and had to beg to get them to send me some so I bought 3 of them just to be on the safe side.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:At the muzzle it is going just over 3300 fps and at 100 yds it is 1.5 inches high zero at 300

I think they call that a frozen rope. That must be some serious kinetic energy on the receiving end. Do you shoot Noslers? Was the rifle made locally? Sorry I get more excited as I get older about hunting rifles than I do about swimsuit models (ok ok it's a tie). A friend of mine has a custom made 300 H & H which I found to have very average balistics.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

At the muzzle it is going just over 3300 fps and at 100 yds it is 1.5 inches high zero at 300 and at 400 it drops down 7 inches.Past that I dont know, The first animal I took with it was a moose shooting across a lake which was over 450 yds on the range finder and put it just above his hump and he dropped instantly I was then hooked on it.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Pahhhhh

Thats nothing....my 300 Rem Ultra mag shoots a 180 grain Nosler Accubond at 3310 fps:D:D:D It also swallows 92 gr of Reloader 22 everytime I squeeze the trigger[:0][:p] Two inches high at 100, dead on at 310 and 6" low at 400.

Love the balistics of flat shooting calibers because it takes away the guess on how high to hold inside 400 yards, which is about as far I can shoot with a good rest and the animal standing there. I shot a caribou at a measured 427 yards, but would rather get up close and personal, if they will allow me:D

Good luck on your hunt and takes some picts.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Sitka sounds almost exactlly the same and like you love how flat it shoots I use the same powder but use hornady lead I tried sierra,and a few others barnes was the worst (for this gun) as they went in sideways, personally think noslers are overpriced and over rated for reloading I have been using hornady for almost 30 years and they group well and have put many an animal up in the meadow in the sky.For this gun it shoots about a 1 inch group at 100 yds so to me it was the best configuration for this gun.

The first time I went out to chase whitetails in sask had my ol trusty 30-06 my guide yells to me get out and shoot the far one on the left "its a shooter" set up shoot notice my bullet hit the snow about 100 yds shy of the buck both my cousin and the guide gary are pissing themselves laughing as I know what has just happened !!!!! I been had I am from the westcoast where we accually have trees not flat as hell asked themm how far awy the buck was ...............
OOOOOOOHHHHHH about 800 yds he says!!!!!!

Hence the flatter shooting gun now!!!!

It was made in the 90s when that caliber first came out and was the rage I think it was from old gordens sporting goods.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I too love Hornadys, but they will not hold together at the velocity of the 300. I have used them in my .270 for 25 years and have never had a problem and they have taken sheep, goats, black bears, all the deer, elk and numerous moose.

The accubond is a great bullet with a BC that ensures that it shoots flat. They are not that expensive, compared to Barnes or Trophy Bonded and with the powder I burn, what is a few more cents anyways:D

I did the same thing in Alberta about 10 years ago, thought a buck was about ~300 yards out after a couple of shots and nothing happening, except the buck in afterburners, we paced it off at ~550[:0]. I wondered why the buck looked a little small.[:p] Now I own a Leica RF. No mistaking distances now!!!

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Most embarassing hunting story ever. Was hunting moose up in Williams Lake 5 years ago. My rifle decides to part company with the scope so I borrow a buddies 45-70 lever action. It was zeroed in at 150 yards. No problem I think. Well a bull steps out following a cow. Bull gets within 45 yards. I put the crosshairs just below the hump and pull the trigger. Big bang and the moose scurries into the woods. Figuring the animal is down I walk in to collect my prize. Cant find the animal or any blood. Turns out I shot over top of the beast. I then realized the 45-70 is not really a rifle it is a mortar. You have to lob the shells at what ever you are shooting at. I still get embarrassed at that story.

last year i was hunting just north of fort st john. and i was glassing a large slash and a nice bull walks out from behing a stand of willows. i used my mill dots and it turns out to be aroud 600 yds i only had my .308 browning leaver action with me. so i get to a nice rest and put the cross hairs 2 feet above the hump and squeeze the trigger the bull reared up on his hind legs and fell backwards. my accubond bullet went thru the front quarter the lungs and heart and was in the skin on the opposite side. i will never let someone tell me a .308 is not enough gun for moose hunting. i measured it out to be 627yds. my best shot in the book.

Steve

I tell you a embarrassing story of missing a bull at 45 yards and you counter with a story of master marksmanship. Yeah thanks. I think I will take up golf....

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

last year i was hunting just north of fort st john. and i was glassing a large slash and a nice bull walks out from behing a stand of willows. i used my mill dots and it turns out to be aroud 600 yds i only had my .308 browning leaver action with me. so i get to a nice rest and put the cross hairs 2 feet above the hump and squeeze the trigger the bull reared up on his hind legs and fell backwards. my accubond bullet went thru the front quarter the lungs and heart and was in the skin on the opposite side. i will never let someone tell me a .308 is not enough gun for moose hunting. i measured it out to be 627yds. my best shot in the book.

Steve

So what would he have done if he just ran away??? or you gut shot him??? or broke his front leg???? By the time you walked the 600+ yards to get there, he could be 1/2 mile away........:(

Crazy, hail mary shots like that with an under gunned firearm is what gives us hunters a crappy name. Good shot, maybe, lucky....hmmmmm probably. The 308 is not a long range cannon designed to shoot animals at long distances. At 600 yards you would need to hold over 74", that 6'......and it only has a 1000 ft/lbs of energy.

Not doubting you killed the moose, but I believe you were much closer than you think. 600+ yards is a long friggin way out there and with a 308........

and if you measured the distance with a rangefinder, then I will shut up:)

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Yes, i understand that it was not a smart shot to take. but in the moment i guess i dident stop to think. three weeks after that trip i bought myself a winchester model 70 .300 mag and i took it to the range and i was shooting 4 liter jugs of water at 500 yds no problem. the gun is amazing.

So you want a funny screw up story ehh... Well this one is my best. Last year i was hunting Black bear in Pink Mountain and i was walking and saw some fresh sign so i stopped and i walked thru some tall grass ( about 5 feet) and over a shoal and i heard somthing so i stopped and about 7-8 feet infront of me a full grown black bear boar stands up out of the grass, and looks down at me. At this point i was so caught off guard i fall on my butt while trying to load my gun. the bear turns and runs away into the timber. I never saw another bear the whole trip. I went straight back to camp to wipe my butt. Goes to show you that you never know what kind of situation you can get into. Had it been a Sow with cubs or a grizzly i wouldent be writing this post rite now.

Well just got back from the island trip for elk and came back empty handed goes like this, as I didnt have the tag was not going to shoot,I really wanted my buddy to get it all by himself went up first morning to a fav spot (from last year)
and there they were close to 20 elk on the ridge so we made our 2 mile walk to get them as we can spot them from about 1000 yds away but you got to hike around the side of the mountain to get to them.

Get my buddy to sneak up on them he gets to 200 yds and he fires 3 shots ooooohhhhh ooooohhhh I watch from 50 or so yards behind him watching the big boy walk into the forset never to be seen again he proceeds to tell me after many years of hunting this is the first time he has ever gotten the shakes (buck/elk fever)then he tells me he stopped counting tines after he got to 8 points on one antler and it was crowned on the top with points so who knows how many it had but it was a trophy of a life time for sure. we saw a few more that day no bulls day 2 we found a little bull but he wanted a bigger one LOL LOL so what am I supposed to say????? we should have shot this one but it happens after that it was too nice man did it get warm it was 27 degress on sunday and monday so we saw nothing even the trophy west guys had spotters everywhere looking never seen so much activity out there.

We be going back in mid november hopefully.

Here is the pic of the one we should have shot!!!!!
1stdayElk3.jpg

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:. i will never let someone tell me a .308 is not enough gun for moose hunting.

I have a 308 for moose hunting, but it is a 308 Norma Magnum I just use factory loads. Norma factory loads for the .308 Magnum drive a 200 grain Vulkan bullet to a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2903 fps. I'm thinking it has lots of stopping power. The Hornady Handbook shows that their potent 220 grain InterLock bullet can be driven at a MV of 2300 fps by 60.5 grains of RL-25 powder, and to a MV of 2800 fps by a maximum charge of 75.1 grains of RL-25. You should see the butt of the rifle has been melted due to recoil on some home made moose stoppers!

I read that
quote:the reloader will find that the .308 Norma will handle bullets heavier than 180 grains every bit as well as (or better than) the .300 Win. Magnum, and considerably better than the new short .300 WSM and .300 Rem. SAUM cartridges. Due to its combination of standard length, a longer neck than most of its competitors, and excellent Norma brass, the .308 Norma Magnum may be the all-around best .300 Magnum cartridge for the dedicated reloader

You can have your 300 mag!

Take only what you need.

Being a 200 gr bullet, what is the trajectory like? Thats what i like most about the .300 is the fact that i can shoot distance with less drop ( depending on the distance it is zero'd in at) by the sounds of the velocity the .308 norma must shoot extremely flat. any idea what it puts out with a 180 gr?

quote:Being a 200 gr bullet, what is the trajectory like? Thats what i like most about the .300 is the fact that i can shoot distane with less drop ( depending on the distance it is zero'd in at) by the sounds of the velocity the .308 norma must shoot extremely flat. any idea what it puts out with a 180 gr?

The 308 Norma Mag is beyond a hunting rifle. It is more of an AMW. (Anti-Material-Weapon) or a very long range sniper rifle.

Take only what you need.

Lets keep this on track ok please no need for arguing, enough said!!!!!!

As for a 308 norma mag my uncle had one and I wish I could get it great gun, with this day and age of techknowledgy a rifle choice comes down to personal preferance on what caliber you may or may not want to use mine was simple the price was right.
When you look at all different factors do you really think a moose at 200 yds whos gets hit with a 30-06 150 gr. bullet going 2700fps or a 7mm 180 gr bullet doing 3000 fps is thinking WOW that was that 30-06 or a 7mm that got me!!!!!!!!!;);).

All the rifles we on the forum have mentoined WILL do the job what separates is the type of hunter thats using them the good or bad I have seen alot of very bad hunters over the last 30 yrs some just dont respect the animal they hunt and totall disregard of the animal they have killed we have all seen. its called hunter ethics some have it some dont.

Keep it on track.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

i agree, i saw a guy shooting a moose with a .243 and 500 yds, and i knew he was hitting it, but it ran for miles. i could have shot the guy. its all about the choices you make and your confidence in yourself and your gun. i have made bad choices, but been lucky also. and after more reasearch on my calibres i know what i can and cant do ( a few good days at the range helps also)

Back