Greetings from Peru - An amaizing fishing day

Hello BC Anglers

First at all I want to thanks Brain Kowalko for his help to complete my registration in this extraordinary Forum...

I live in Lima-Peru and as all of you, Fishing is my passion. I like to practice both: Fresh and Saltwater fishing. Major part of the year I go to the beach for Surf Fishing with a spinning rod, and sometimes on-board for some trolling. What do I look for??? I love fishing Corvinas (some kind of Weakfish or Seatrout), Lenguado (Pacific Flounders), Cabrilla (some kind of Grouper), Robalo (Snook). In winter time, I rather to go to the highlands looking for trouts...

I like to complement my fishing passion doing my homemade lures which is not common here. Almost 99.99% of sport fishermen buy their fishing stuffs. Sometimes I prepare and edit a video to publish it in my Youtube channel.

I think showing this video you will figure out the way of surf fishing that I do at the sea.

Once again, in this fishing trip I went to the beaches of Ica. Ica is located about 350Km southbound from Lima driving through a highway, and then you have to turn westbound and drive about 90km of offroad in the middle of desert until reach the ocean... My objective was to look for some Corvinas and Lenguados.
In this video, you are going to see an amazing crazy party of seabirds. They came very close to the shore in their middle of hunting-eating-time frenzy. I am sure you will love it. The sea was blue, the water was clear, no wind, and was a shiny day.
Afterwards to enjoy the show of the birds’ party, we began to fish.

You will see some casts I done from the shore and some captures I had in this wonderful day.

A special consideration for this way of fishing, is that we need to try to do long casts (as possible) to get better chances for fishing. Just to let you know, I used a 9' Surfcast rod, Van Staal Reel VS150, 30Lb braided line, and my Attila Slim which weights about 47gr (1.5oz). To reach the better places, I need to cast about 90 to 110 yards or even more, basically for two main reasons:
First, to try to drop my lures behind the seaweeds mats that are spread everywhere along the shore. It is a natural barrier and trap, and your lures, spoons, etc. can easily stay hooked to them;
Secondly, because reaching deeper waters your odds increase to find places where the Corvinas are in activity and hunting.

Well I hope you like the video, please send me your comments, they are very welcome. Also, in case you are interested to see how to do the Attila Slim, you can watch my video visiting my channel in Youtube. Have a safe fishing, Antonio

Here is the link to the video:
[fbWrHAc0lwU] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWrHAc0lwU

Hot action is always good, no matter where you are. Thanks for posting.

welcome to the forum, my daughter just got back from peru a coupla months ago. maybe you could post us some of your famous peruvian ceviche recipes in the recipe forum.

cheers nicnat

Hello and thank you for your thoughts....

Nicnat, let me give you my own Ceviche recipe:
- Fresh raw fish cut in chunks , about 1 inch by side (use white meat fish)
- freshly squeezed Lemon (use those small green lemons which are highly acid concentrated)
- salt, pepper
- Hot chili, chopped very small
- Some Parsley and garlic
- Lettuce and Sweet Potato

I begin preparing a fish broth with the fish bones and head. I add some celery and parsley.... None salt ...when it is ready, screen it and I let it until cold. Once it is cold, put inside the refrigerator.

Cut the fish into chunks, and put it in a stainless steel bowl. Put this bowl into a second and bigger one with ice, to keep the fish fresh.

Squeeze the lemon. For 1 lb of fish chunks I suggest to have at least a half glass of lemon juice (remember it has to be freshly squeezed)

In a blender, put the following all together: the lemon juice; some fish chunks 5 or 7; salt and pepper; some chili; some parsley; little bit of fresh garlic... Start blending... when every is mixed, do you remember the broth??? it is time to use it. Add up to 4 Spoons of broth to the blender, to reduce a little the acid... mix all together for some seconds.... Try and taste the flavor...be sure it has the right salt and pepper, the right spicy taste ...if not you can add a little more of any of the ingredients you are using.

When it is ready, pour the mix to the bowl with the fish chunks and mix...it is better to use a wood big spoon for this step.

Serve it in a large dish. Put some lettuce leaves as a green mat, and then add the fish with all the juice you may also add some parboiled sweet potato slices .... EAT IT !!!!

welcome to the forum, my daughter just got back from peru a coupla months ago. maybe you could post us some of your famous peruvian ceviche recipes in the recipe forum.

cheers nicnat

Last edited by a moderator:
Back