Shore fishing Victoria

Hi, I'm a trout/salmon fisherman from southern Ontario. I'll be in BC in a few weeks (mid July) and I'm staying near the cowichan river for a few days, then back down to Sidney/Victoria for another few days. With the water levels like they are, I figure I better have a backup plan from the river/lake fly fishing. I fish for salmon off of piers here, and I hear you can catch them with similar techniques in BC. I'm wondering if there's any point in targeting salmon off the shore at this time, and if not, will there be bottom fish to target? What baits, structure, distance offshore and depth should I expect there to be fish? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Do you know all the regulations and requirements for salmon fishing in B.C. ?
I'd be glad to help you learn how to do it but you have to want to do it legally.
Message me if you want to know more...

A buddy of mine was fishing there last night, he was telling me he talked to a fellow there who claimed to have caught a 31 pounder within the last few days.

Fish tale? LOL
I grew up and spent my youth fishing off of Ten mile point, I've seen plenty of Tyees caught from there! Not surprised at all...
Cast out far and let your lure sink 20+ seconds and work the steep wall off of Ten mile point, the Hogs hold tight to the wall off the point, when you get close keep it deep with out snagging bottom
I lost my share of lures there. Stick around for slack tide the scuba divers often show up and do their dives and some times they come up with a bag of lures and sell them back to the fishermen for cheap.

Yes in decades past there has been Tyee caught off Ten Mile Point from shore but they have always been rare events. I have also seen 15lb Coho caught from Shore off that Point. For that matter I know of a Tyee caught from shore off Otter Point west of Sooke that was in the mid 50 lb range.. These were all years back when there was more and bigger Salmon around South VI. If I was to go back to shore fishing for salmon I would say Otter Point is your best bet.

A little tip on buying lures off the divers. If they are Buzz Bombs make sure you test them by blowing a little breath through them and if you can’t, pass on those ones. There little sea critters like to build their shell inside them and clog them up if they have been down for a while and your line won’t go through them.

I miss the mid winter Blue Back Coho Fishing from shore off Ten Mile Point that has been closed for years now. You would have a dozen or more guys tossing out the short stubby heavy white Buzz Bombs with some pink nail polish added to them into the big waves and then yanking them out onto the rocks. Some of them were clipped and when I sent in the heads they were from the Bellingham Hatchery. Good memories of loading up on four nice Blue Backs on Boxing Day and cooking them for a change from all the turkey, it was a bit of a tradition. It was also great for Coho in 1986 as the govt. made sure the hatcheries turned out a lot of extra Coho for the Expo tourists.

The salt water regs. sure have got restrictive. I remember when you did not need a Saltwater fishing license at all to sport fish in the ocean and the regs. were about half a page long with the main one being you were allowed four salmon, any species as long as they were over 12 inchs in length and barbs were allowed so less got off. Rockfish and lingcod etc. - keep as many as you want. Never had one but I understand you could also buy a putter license out at Sooke ( around $10 dollars) that would allow small sport fishing type boats to sell their catch – basically having a small commercial license. Dam – the old man is rambling on again, - that’s what happens when you get old boys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to fish 10 mile point and the 9th tee at Vic Golf Course and do pretty good on springs back in the day.No tyee
but fish up to 24-25 lbs.Saw a 42 lb. spring caught off Otter Point back in the 80's as well.Chrome and Pink Pearl
buzzbombs seemed to work really well,especially the small 2.5 inch ones.

was casting off the rocks in sooke today played over 15 fish. limits of pinks and lost 2 chinooks in the low teens. 2.5 oz pink Zelda jig was the ticket. was a better day today fishing off the rocks than in a boat someday!!!!!!!

Back