Sechelt Inlet Crabbing?

Corey_lax

Crew Member
We're going camping at Porpoise Bay in June and I'm contemplating bringing a couple crab traps and an inflatable to see if we can get some crab. Is the crabbing any good out there? I can't find much information. I'm not bringing my boat so I'll likely just paddle out a ways in a dingy or something.

I think you might have to head up into the inlet. Porpoise Bay is rammed jammed with "live a boards" so you might want to give it some thought before consuming anything caught that low into the inlet.
Valid point….

If you head up the inlet towards Sandy Hook there is some good spots, always did pretty good. Mind you haven’t fished in that area for about 10 years

Mike

I know some of the locals were complaining that the area was being over crabbed , but always worth a shot
Might as well give it a whirl. We’re just camping and I’ll likely bring an inflatable so it’ll just be something to try out for a day and see what happens

If your inflatable has a outboard id try casting some buzz bombs by the hatchery. There is a small cove. or head up to 9 mile point. Just south of the sckookumchuck is good for lings too

If your inflatable has a outboard id try casting some buzz bombs by the hatchery. There is a small cove. or head up to 9 mile point. Just south of the sckookumchuck is good for lings too
Yes, I have a 8 horse yamaha. The hatchery doesn't look too far so might give that a whirl.

been at Sechelt Inlet 2 summers ago, We had a great fishing time but crabbing didn't go well, soaked the cage for couple hrs but nothing inside also my bait was untouched. I tried soaked the cage at Davis Bay and Bonnie too but no luck. some local man told me, couple years ago there was big time illegal crab fishing happened.
Anyway have a fun

been at Sechelt Inlet 2 summers ago, We had a great fishing time but crabbing didn't go well, soaked the cage for couple hrs but nothing inside also my bait was untouched. I tried soaked the cage at Davis Bay and Bonnie too but no luck. some local man told me, couple years ago there was big time illegal crab fishing happened.
Anyway have a fun
We used to get boat loads just off the public beach at Davis Bay. That was 15 years ago though

It is still like a commercial fishery off the Davis bay dock but skip that. If you want crab, take your boat and dunk it at coopers green in Halfmoon Bay. Boot over towards the entrance to Bucaneer Bay and drop the trap generally out from the govt dock a ways and then head to the Gap for some beach time. Snag the trap on the way back and you should be good to go, makes a great adventure out of the day and you are in protected waters the entire time.

There's a ridiculous crab spot frar from our cabin but June is a near write off for me until the end, or I would run you guys out. It's like 5 mins out from the marina.

Anyway have a blast, if anyone is a mountain biker you gotta hit coast gravity just up the hill from the camp ground. There's a great trail just past the entrance to the bike park that dumps out right across from the camp site too.

There's a ridiculous crab spot frar from our cabin but June is a near write off for me until the end, or I would run you guys out. It's like 5 mins out from the marina.

Anyway have a blast, if anyone is a mountain biker you gotta hit coast gravity just up the hill from the camp ground. There's a great trail just past the entrance to the bike park that dumps out right across from the camp site too.
Nice! My wife and I mountain bike but that might be bringing too many things for a quick trip. I’ll keep that in mind for a low key trip when it’s just us and not a big group

Ya CG is a full shuttle park, and there's trails for all levels. I'm heading there on Sunday so my kid can try and break his new transition patrol I had to scour the ends of the universe for.

The entire coast is riddled with amazing riding. Even for has beens like me.

Last edited:
Quick update,

There are thousands of baby crabs on the beach in Porpoise Bay but there is only one in the ocean. We set the traps 6 times and only had one undersized dungy.

My buddy thought a fish was fighting hard and it turned out to be a sea cucumber

The costco inflatable is a great cheap boat and my freebie 8 horse Yamaha runs like a top.

Inlet has been pretty dead for past 5 years or so - hopefully it will come back at some point but from a couple of test sets done this year, we are not even getting any undersized. Davis Bay seems to be remaining strong.

Back