Crabbing/prawning help

Hey guys/gals

New boater/fisher here. Am looking at taking my boys out crabbing/ prawning. we are in the cowichan are and have gone out of the Cowichan bay launch and the crofton launch. We set some traps today but all we seemed to get were red rock crab, Can anyone give us and idea of where we can find dungenous? No im not looking for your "secret" spots just a little friendly help to some newbies

thanks All

Check your charts to be sure you are setting on a flat sandy bottom. Chicken will produce the best results and must be fresh. Good luck.

Crabbing has been slow for us, this year but we haven’t tried your hood. I would do some trips into the islands and look for commercial crab trap strings. Usually in 30-150 feet of water two bouys with two other bouys a couple hundred feet away. Wait for a very low current day and set near them or recreational crab traps. I’ve had good luck with chicken backs and salmon scraps, but have better luck in the fall/winter/spring.

Hey guys/gals

New boater/fisher here. Am looking at taking my boys out crabbing/ prawning. we are in the cowichan are and have gone out of the Cowichan bay launch and the crofton launch. We set some traps today but all we seemed to get were red rock crab, Can anyone give us and idea of where we can find dungenous? No im not looking for your "secret" spots just a little friendly help to some newbies

thanks All
Ladysmith harbour and off of Chemainus or Saltair seem to be pretty good for dungies when I've set there.

As for prawns I'm not sure down this way. I live in Crofton but do all my prawning by Gabriola. I use the pellets amd square traps.

In Cowichan Bay go out from the boat launch to the other side of the bay, out from the sawmill. Or farther towards Osborn Bay in about 180 feet of water, or head down on the boat launch side of the bay off Cherry Point Beach.

Back