SeaStar Kicker Cable Tie Bar

My 2 cents: I slid off the trailer in port Renfrew a few years ago to discover the tie bar was seized in the kicker tilt tube. I had to force the motor to turn so I could get to a dock. the small stainless rod was bent into a U. Since then I always turn the motors before leaving the house and twice it was seized again. I did the following and have not has a problem since.
I drilled a slightly larger hole in the solid rod shown below. It lets the unit have a little play when going in and out. In the solid rod not the top piece.20200926_075039.jpg
When trailering the boat or when parked in the garage I always turn the motors so the small stainless rod is in the main tube and the large rod is extended on the kicker. This protects the small rod.20200926_075119.jpg 20200926_075119.jpg
Sorry to post it twice.
I always remove the large rod from the kicker tilt tube at the end of the season. I put a stainless tube brush in a drill motor and clean out the tube. I soak paper towels in coleman fule and wrap them around the brush and clean away. And I have tried many different greases and the one pictured is the best. Since using it not a single seize.20200926_075557.jpg
This works for me. The grease is thick and is used on fittings under salt water. I use it on the hubs on the trailer as well but you need a battery operated grease gun if it is cold outside.

Really good advice, Civano.... but (FWIW): Seastar recommended the opposite when storing over the winter outside in the elements: they recommended turning the kicker hard to starboard so the thicker part of the bar is stored inside the kicker tilt tube. I found that oxidation and binding seems to occur more in the kicker tilt tube then on the main outboard side of the set up.

I finally started carrying a mix of Corrosion X and WD-40 in a small bottle with a brush attachment and continually doused the thicker tie bar on the kicker to keep it lubricated . Even doing that, it kept sticking in the tilt tube. It was a nail-biter when I did my long trips up to North Coast....can you imagine bending a tie bar while out on the water????

My new boat has a stainless steel tie bar tying the kicker to the port outboard. Sigh of relief, but now I get to worry about whether or not the electric servo motors that steer the main outboards will fail.....

sometimes I miss the good old days: throttle controlled kicker not connected to the main, steering by hand, smoker of a fish peeling line, rod in one hand, throttle in the other, Nantucket sleigh ride and lots of adrenaline going on

Last edited:
Back