Seasport cabin floor project etc

I was able to lay down a couple coats of gelcoat over the repaired section of the bulk head this weekend. The 2nd and final coat with the wax added. The white gel coat looks pretty bright against the rest of the bilge but it is going to be under the fuel tank so no matter.

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 550
We also put the motor back in the boat on Saturday. Here it is all hooked up to the fork lift looking all bright and shiny.

Attachments

• 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 546
Motor went back into the engine compartment with out a hitch ie no damage, so it was a success.

Attachments

• 006 (2).jpg
    006 (2).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 546
Next up is changing the intermediate housing on the volvo leg. I had an old pitted intermediate housing that I had scrounged up a few years back that was used to replace the original, which had developed a crack. I've now scrounged up a non-pitted housing that we will install this week.
Then the fuel tank goes back in and then work on the floor inside the cabin. I almost forgot about the darn cabin floor ;) which was the catalyst for all of this other work. The fiberglass guy I had lined up to do the floor has waffled out on me so it might be up to me to do it. Therefore I may be asking for more advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes great work MRWood. Keep the pictures coming, I love these threads. Nice to see an older boat getting a face lift and tummy tuck, maybe even a boob job. LOL

I'm back. There is good news and bad news with my little (getting bigger) project.
The good news is that I have the leg back and all tuned up. I had someone change the intermediate housing for me and do a little maintanance and change some bearings. I then sanded it all down and painted. All turned out pretty nice. Pics to follow.
The bad news is that I found some water damage/dry rot in the area of the bilge that my fuel tanks bolts onto. This lead to some cutting and further discoveries. I believe the stringer and floor damage is limited but I will let you guys give me some advice on this. Pics to follow.

Here is a pic of the leg after changing the intermediate housing. My neighbour thought I should put it back on the boat as is but I didn't like the calicoe colour.

Attachments

• 009 (2).jpg
    009 (2).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 293
Painting it up in the garage. Not totally professional but not bad.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 294
I'll have to post a pic of the leg after the season is up. It might be back to the calico colour :)

Sir Reel....thanks for the info. I do have a small section that is not cut out that this product could be good for.

Here are some pics of the deck section I've cut out to expose the stringers and bilge sidewall stringer. The section that was wet was the bilge sidewall section. There was a glassed in 2x8 that was on the upper section of the bilge wall, this is where the fuel tank was lag screwed in. That 2x8 core was shot as well as the glassed in plywood bilge wall. Still not sure how water was getting in but it had over the years. Some water must have got in thru the lag screws I'm sure.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 312
Things were damp there so i kept cutting and removed part of the deck to see what we had.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 310
Better go further to see how that middle stringer is

Attachments

• 024 (2).jpg
    024 (2).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 305
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 305
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 308
middle stringer core was dry rotted for a few feet out from back cabin wall. Better remove some foam, tried to be delicate with it but that don't work well. Just hack it out with the end of the pry bar. Foam was all very dry so that was somewhat encouraging.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 302
I then prceeded to cut out the rotton section of the stringer and cut down the fiberglass skin down to an inch or so above the hull. The mid stringer and bilge wall section that is left behind are all solid. Floor is dry and solid where I have cut out to. Reach my arm in there and feel around underneath the floor all is bone dry. So this is where i have gotten to.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 299
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 298
It's 15C and flat calm out front....I just want to go fishing....where is Tabatha from Bewitched when you need her.

Back