Scotty Downrigger Release Clip Modification For Braid/Stronger Grasp

kmcghee

I was asked in another thread what I do to mod my Scotty clips, so I thought I would make a post.

So when I switched to braid I found that the Scotty clips did not pinch near hard enough for my way of fishing: I like to hold the line tight so I can crank down on the reel, remove as much of the bagged line as possible and bend the rod over smartly so it can spring up and hook a fish better.

I found that the Scotty clip was not up to that, especially when I switched to braid so I came up with this. Pictures say a thousand words but basically I removed the rear center piece, drilled out the two holes for an 8-32 stainless bolt and used a combination of nylocks and regular nuts to spread apart the plastic much more than stock. This has created a nice stiff hold on my lines and works great for me. Swivel to help with tangles/give a nice place to attach the line to. If I want more I can just back off the nylock and the regular nut and widen it.

67624172_345645086385247_5895340263030652928_n.jpg

braid will not hold in the pads thats why most run a mono top shot ...
going to kick your self when the braid gets tangled around that bolt .. snap off in the making ....

others have done away with the hard setting clip and put in a a cut down fuel rubber hose. or a larger bead in between the two legs .

or you can just get the hair trigger release clip that scotty make

braid will not hold in the pads thats why most run a mono top shot ...
going to kick your self when the braid gets tangled around that bolt .. snap off in the making ....

others have done away with the hard setting clip and put in a a cut down fuel rubber hose. or a larger bead in between the two legs .

or you can just get the hair trigger release clip that scotty make

Sorry but I have been fishing this setup for years in all types of currents and weather and have never had it tangle. It works great with no issues.

fair play just be open to opinion and a possible situation which could occur.

Clever and if it works well for you that is all that matters. For myself, I think the bit of stretch a mono topshot gives me is a good thing when using braid for mainline.

whip on a mono twig to your braid and run a std clip
have used braid for a lot longer than most and 50 lb braid test will not hold with tips bent right over even if set right back in the pads ...hence i use a mono top shot like most ....
as to the guys who run deep 200' +
let see what they say.
not knocking it just saying i have seen line wrap up around the release clip and i even mod mine to 250lb mono .
it happens from time to time ...

whip on a mono twig to your braid and run a std clip
have used braid for a lot longer than most and 50 lb braid test will not hold with tips bent right over even if set right back in the pads ...hence i use a mono top shot like most ....
as to the guys who run deep 200' +
let see what they say.
not knocking it just saying i have seen line wrap up around the release clip and i even mod mine to 250lb mono .
it happens from time to time ...

I run 30 pound braid and it holds perfect with the tips bent right over, with the line set halfway into the pads on this clip mod, and it releases on fish of any size of merit.

Interesting modification, and it is great that it works for you. For me though it is easier to just use a topshot and change it out once in a while. Knots are easier, less visibility, and it would seem to me that it will pop out when using the rod a lot easier as well.

kmcghee

I use something very similar to your set up. Sorry no pictures but almost identical.
I also have no issue with the braid coming out of the clip.

Last time out we where fishing the green can 260 ft with lots of currant no issues with the braid not holding in the clip.

I don't prefer the top shot method to me the knot has a chance to fail, as well with mono you lose the sensitivity of the bites on smaller fish thus dragging around small fish.

Cheers Scott

kmcghee

I use something very similar to your set up. Sorry no pictures but almost identical.
I also have no issue with the braid coming out of the clip.

Last time out we where fishing the green can 260 ft with lots of currant no issues with the braid not holding in the clip.

I don't prefer the top shot method to me the knot has a chance to fail, as well with mono you lose the sensitivity of the bites on smaller fish thus dragging around small fish.

Cheers Scott

Agree with you on all accounts, I love the fact that I can adjust it to the point where I can be confident any fish of size I am allowed to keep will pop the clip with a ton of tension on the line. little bag in the line and nice bent over tips. I use two more of those clips attached to my rod holders which hold my line at the reel front, keeps them from tick tick ticking and allows me to crank the line tight, bend the tips and keep the drag at a happy place where the fish can run right away if it pops the clips.

I modify by inserting a piece of fuel hose in between the clips (with the line for the clip running inside the fuel hose). That also works but is not adjustable like your method. That said, I switched over to a bit of mono top-shot and just use the regular clips.

Well my invention is nowhere as high tech as yours kmcghee all I did was cut an ear plug in half and cray glued a half on either side of the pitching clip. I’ve been running this for four years now never had any issues.

Agree with you on all accounts, I love the fact that I can adjust it to the point where I can be confident any fish of size I am allowed to keep will pop the clip with a ton of tension on the line. little bag in the line and nice bent over tips. I use two more of those clips attached to my rod holders which hold my line at the reel front, keeps them from tick tick ticking and allows me to crank the line tight, bend the tips and keep the drag at a happy place where the fish can run right away if it pops the clips.

Yep I do the same when fishing deep set the drags for playing the fish and put the clips on. When bite happens Basically reel the clip into the reel body and the clip comes off no hassel getting the clip off. I don't us them when fishing shallow 50 ft etc as there is less reel creep

I have a problem with the clip not holding on my top shot I wonder if a higher pound test would help? Does it help to rough up the surfaces of the clip with say sandpaper?

Back