Rebuilding Scotty Release Clips

hi have to take some pic's and show you boys and lasses how i do mine ... feel free to copy but happy for what ever works for yourself we all learn from each other ........

hi have to take some pic's and show you boys and lasses how i do mine ... feel free to copy but happy for what ever works for yourself we all learn from each other ........
Post it! Love seeing how the veterans roll. @ship happens your set up loots like a commercial boat set up lol, love it

This is where in my experience, if your using 20lb balls, swivels and crimps are a no worky situation. The roller does not like it. I don't know how many balls have busted off coming through the roller. We tried every swivel known to man. Every size.

Tuna cord is expensive and wears out quickly. Gangen is less than half the price and twice the lb rating, plus it doesn't wear out. So we went to this setup. I have been permanently attaching the clip for years, however this past year switched to all 500lb gangen. Just tie a loop knot where you want the clip to be located. I tied it up a couple feet from the ball so I can run dummy flashers and not get tangled. Loop knot is the stop, and loop knots for everything else.

Used to change the rubbers on clips once a year when they start slipping, then my bro put a nut in the clip. Now it's so tight you have to feel how tight you put the line in. Works like a hot damn.

View attachment 98097

View attachment 98094View attachment 98095View attachment 98096
I like this setup

EXACTLY what I do as well but for some that be kinda difficult for them LOL

Great demo. What's the advantage over simple 250 lb. mono with crimps at whatever length you prefer?
the release snap goes to the second eyelet on the finned cannonball usually dont snap onto the gangion if the lower 300lb stuff gets any damaged it can be changed out quite quickly ( if you have a few spares already as back -ups )...

for stacking i just use one orange bead 20' feet up and snap just under it when coming up it will trip at that point then i just use the green button to tease the rest up and taking the stacked clip off before the loop to loop knots ...... dont have to many issues fishing solo even IMG_0453.JPG

Same approach here. Bought a roll of 150# mono line at PNT in Parksville. Use crimp fittings, replace the yellow ”mits” on the clip and good to go. I make mine custom lengths to suit how much extension I have on the rigger boom.

Some guys use weed whacker line, tuna cord is another option.
Good choice! I also did that once. Crimp fittings allow for easy adjustments based on your needs.

Good choice! I also did that once. Crimp fittings allow for easy adjustments based on your needs.

This is what I like as well. A roll of Berkley 150lb mono and crimps. You make them the length that works best. I also use this mono for making my Halibut leaders and use crimps again to get the exact length that I like.

I've had trouble with both of my retrieval lines not holding when I pull them in.I've changed out the lines and their still slipping.Do you guys change out the line holder thingamabob gadgets?

I've had trouble with both of my retrieval lines not holding when I pull them in.I've changed out the lines and their still slipping.Do you guys change out the line holder thingamabob gadgets?
I had the same thing happen. Trotac had basically the same thing but made of aluminum I think they were called clamcleats maybe.

Go back to my post and take a good look at the swivel base and have a look at the cam cleat there. I've got loads of them on the shelf. Think they are around 15 bucks each. Aluminum with a roller

Back