Rebuilding Scotty Release Clips

Marley

The mono line on my Scotty rigger clips is worn and I am going to rebuild them. What pound test mono should I run? Planning to crimp them.

Has anyone done something innovative that I should consider?

Thanks

The mono line on my Scotty rigger clips is worn and I am going to rebuild them. What pound test mono should I run? Planning to crimp them.

Has anyone done something innovative that I should consider?

Thanks
I just made a couple of custom length ones up yesterday @ 66” . I use 150# test , partially dues to the fact I have 100yard roll of it on hand.

I just made a couple of custom length ones up yesterday @ 66” . I use 150# test , partially dues to the fact I have 100yard roll of it on hand.
I saw a roll of 150# of trilene at pacific angler for about 25 bucks that i was considering using.

Same approach here. Bought a roll of 150# mono line at PNT in Parksville. Use crimp fittings, replace the yellow ”mits” on the clip and good to go. I make mine custom lengths to suit how much extension I have on the rigger boom.

Some guys use weed whacker line, tuna cord is another option.

Last edited:
Tied up a couple with some 2 mm para cord I had leftover from my downrigger setup. I also saw another member post about adding heat shrink to the snap to get a better grip on the braided line so I tried that as well. I like it so far. See how it preforms on the water.

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpeg
    IMG_0861.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 130
Tied up a couple with some 2 mm para cord I had leftover from my downrigger setup. I also saw another member post about adding heat shrink to the snap to get a better grip on the braided line so I tried that as well. I like it so far. See how it preforms on the water.

I like that rubber heat shrink idea.

i make up my own , use 250lb mono and crimp got mine at PNT forget the crimp size but size it to what you require.... make them so there long enough to be slotted in the dual rod holder when the ball are just tracking in the water.....and use a chimney sweep rod with a hook on the end to pull the trailing clip in the water rather than messing with the weight retrievers or moving the riggers ....

This stuffs pretty cheap on Amazon comes with some crimps. I make my own now, took a few stacker clips I had and made a bunch of regular ones, good for a while now. Harbour chandler sells the snaps for like $2.50 each, a bit smaller but they work fine.
IMG_3662.jpeg

Back