scent on your gear?

Do you have any documented research that clearly supports your assertion that smell is the least important (other than masking human scents) and does little to increase one's chances of catching salmon? As you say "The salmon olfactory system has one of the, if not the keenest". Smell is used to attract many other fish species, what makes salmon so different?
Nope... Didn't mean it that way, sorry! I have documentation that clearly states All are important! Just trying to explain, they need to be kept in proper prospective and order! There is little reason to use or add any scent, if you are not first going to attract a salmon? Smell is is not the principle "attractant," it is the last sense that usually comes into play there. It is the first that comes into play if that bait doesn't smell right - by no means is the least important! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Spraying WD40 into the ocean seems a little misguided, even if it does produce the occasional hook-up. But I believe that this thread was asking about what different people use or don't use on their gear. One person said WD40 does not work, another said it does, and now the wheels are coming off. You post lots of intelligent and thoughtful material on here Charlie, but I don't think JO's response was particularly "strong". Just a little disagreement. And besides that, you said yourself you spray WD40 on all your gear, so what's the difference. The ocean and the wildlife don't care about your intent, the petroleum in the water is the problem (your problem too, I gather). Also, it seems like we are splitting hairs by arguing about whether a particular product attracts fish

X2 Steelhead S2

now getting back to the op question:cool:..
I personally do not use "Extra" sents or "Jellys" on anything I use for fishing. 99% of the time(notice I didn't say110%):rolleyes: I'm trolling/mootching anchovie's or cutplugs, but have been useing more and more hootchie's lately, but IMHO I think that these extra sents are more for "catching fisherman" than fish....
yes I'm sure they have their place and worked for many ,just that I've never needed to use them........YET!;)

Nope... Didn't mean it that way, sorry! I have documentation that clearly states All are important! Just trying to explain, they need to be kept in proper prospective and order! There is little reason to use or add any scent, if you are not first going to attract a salmon? Smell is is not the principle "attractant," it is the last sense that usually comes into play there. It is the first that comes into play if that bait doesn't smell right - by no means is the least important! ;)
Charlie. Do you have any scientific research references to support your assertion about the "proper perspective and order of importance" for attracting salmon (i.e. smell being the last sense to come into play) that you could share here? If so, I would like to see them and hopefully learn something. It is not clear to me how salmon can have such a very acute sense of smell, as you have previously stated, but then you say it factors last in the role of attracting salmon. By providing such references you could help shed more factual information to help sort out this debate.

You want to start a real controversy and suggest that a women touching your bait (keep it clean) or spoons,hootchies may produce more fish because of the fermones she produces. Certainly seems to work on my boat because my wife's rod is which ever rod has a fish on. LOL

It is true, once a woman touches my bait the hook-up ratio increases dramatically.

Sheesh, isn’t life grand? That is a tad bit of a strong reply there, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Well, I guess that pretty much proves some can fish “longer than most” be “110% sure” and after years, not really know or have a clue - on what they are talking about, doesn’t it? WD-40 just might increase your “rate significantly”; however, had you read those posts a little closer… I believe they clearly state WD-40 will “mask” all your stink!

Now here I am trying to provide good, solid, valid, provable advice and information. Then here you come and with, “Can say what you want” and then go on to state how you have been and are violating regulations (that would by the Fisheries Act), for all these years. Then go on and in essence, suggest it is okay for everyone to do that? How many years did you say you have been violating the laws and polluting? Yes, It is ILLEGAL, what part of that did you miss or not understand? If you read those ingredients again, I believe that was up to approximately 85%, total “PETROLEUM OIL!” So, let’s see if I got your facts right? You are stating it is okay to "break laws," "pollute waters", and eat "petroleum oil polluted fish"! You are 110% sure of that! Yep, you surely don’t have to “pretend to know” or not know any science, but could you at least stay within regulations?

BTW, rather than posting that… you could just call DFO and let them know when and where to meet. Better yet, just give them your address and maybe they will just mail you, your tickets? That would be one violation - per occurrence! Oh, they will also take all those fish you polluted!

Have a great day and... Enjoy those fish! :eek::eek:

Oh forgot, I am sure everyone will be glad to know my grandkids still believe in Santa Clause.

Wow, I hope someone hacked your account Charlie otherwise you lost all my respect!

All the talk lately about respecting various points of view on the site and you come out with that rant.

To think your opinion regarding salmonid olfactory response is the gospel is funny!

As for polluting, when you stop using an internal combustion engine we can talk, otherwise spare me with the hypocracy.

My comments were simply reflecting my experience....period.

P.S.- the fact most theories regarding anadromous salmonid migration to their natal streams is at least partly due to their olfactory sense, would indicate to me, that salmon base a significant portion of their survival on smell.

You want to start a real controversy and suggest that a women touching your bait (keep it clean) or spoons,hootchies may produce more fish because of the fermones she produces. Certainly seems to work on my boat because my wife's rod is which ever rod has a fish on. LOL

Too funny, and all this time I thought it was just my wife's side of the boat that caught all the fish...now we are suggesting it's pheromones. Next thing I expect to hear is we should avoid sex the night before going fishing....that's where I draw the line!

Back