scent on your gear?

C

catcher

Do any of you guys put scent on your gear? or is it just a waste of time and money? I'm always looking for something that will help fill the tub.

Thanks

Always use charlie whites x-10 scent whether hali or salmon. Definatly can trigger hali and i think it helps catch more salmon also. If you watch underwater strikes on camera youll see alot of fish come up to the gear check it out then leave. I dont think they use scent much for hunting prey but when they tuck in behind your gear i think the scent can help trigger a response.

Used to believe in it in the past not so much now.

Not that it doesn't work but if there's Dogfish around it'll draw 'em in for sure.

YMMV.

I always use scent and even injectable scents on Hali baits and it seems to always outfish whoever else is in the boat. Course I always give them the slow side of the boat. LOL' -Salmon I use it if I think about it or things get slow and then I try anything-I usually fish anchovy so I don't think it's so critical for me. Seems to me it's what you have confidence in!

I use Butt Juice for hali and Smelly Jelly for salmon lures. For me it is more about reducing my human scent/oils then attracting fish.

I'll use smelly jelly on salmon gear. But I find that when there's new people fishing with me they get obsessed over scenting the lures. If I do a quick pull and drop it again they practically panic if I don't apply more scent. They whine and worry about it until I pull the gear again and apply some. So using scents actually probably costs me fish with the amount of extra down time.

yup, hide the human scent for salmon, and ya buttjuice for the halis.. dont get it on yer fibrglass or you will see the pink stain for quite awhile...

I was going to reply with some smart a$$ comment like, I always rub my hali jig in my arm pit cause hali's like to eat dead things :cool:...but I'll pass that temptation. Yep, I like to use smelly jelly and trigger X to juice it up.

Funny enough I have not been using it out at kitty because of the dogfish.yet I still caught them consistently as you know.
wonder how many I would have caught if I had used it?

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellant product that was highly recommended to me many years ago by an old commercial fisherman is called Nil-Odor. He swore that washing your flashers, hootchies ,spoons etc. preseason helped to eliminate any human scent or fuel odors on your tackle. It's very concentrated and requires just a few drops in your wash tub. It costs about five bucks at Safeway and lasts many seasons. You could also put a few drops in your on board rinse bucket as needed.;) eman

Yes for hali and no for salmon. I've never concerned myself with human scent on the gear.

I've been experimenting with threading a scent soaked cotton ball into my hootchies. So far, so good, but haven't done this long enough to conclude it's merrits.

Halis.

Lot of stink from my setup. Use tide to spread downside of structure I'm set up fishing...

Works every now and then...

For you scent freaks-go to napa or lordco or any car parts place-they have a material for soaking up oil only-I find if you cut it in strips and electrical plastic strap it to jigs or tie it into a hootchie it soaks up the scent and disperses it over a long period of time. I think those cloths are also used to soak up bilge oil as well so may also be at marine stores. Oh yeah one other way to use it-take a plastic prescription bottle with a locking cap attach it with a swivel to the junction of the spreader bar-poke lots of little holes in the cap-stuff the bottle with the oil retaining cloth-soak with your favorite scent-replace cap and now as you fish the scent continues to spread. Replenish once in awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't used scents much, but a trip with my brother-in-law, and then another with a guide in Montana taught me the wonders of WD-40. No Sh#t. It actually works. Saw it in a Field and Stream magazine years before this too. On the trip to Montana my son and I boated over 300 lbw. of Lake Trout in two 4 hour outings. Two different days, two different areas of the lake. I don't know why it works, just that it does. The trip with the b-i-l was for Bass in the Kootenays. 36 fish caught and released between 4 of us in about two hours, and probably just as many long releases or missed strikes.

My grandfather and I once cut up my grandmas Shamwow into strips and soaked them in butt juice. Caught a few halis on that day!

-Steve

Back