Saltwater fishing on Vancouver Island in September?

James57

I'm new to the board, but have been enjoying absorbing all the info on here. I've got a week from September 13-19 this year and am planning a trip up to Vancouver Island with the girlfriend and the dog, but I am not sure exactly where yet. I've got a 16 ft. Duroboat and tend to lose my breakfast at the first sight of a swell, so am looking somewhere protected to fish. I'm thinking it will have to be mostly a coho trip that late in the year and I expect to focus on them, but would love to have a chance at a chinook or hali. We'd prefer to stay in doors, but are trying to keep the trip as cheap as possible so will camp if we can't find somewhere for 100ish a night.

Been reading a lot about Nootka/Esperenza and it sounds like the fishing can be phenomenal there with all the returning fish in the inlet and the conditions are good for a small boat. Tahsis looks like it has some good places to stay late in the season, but the road sounds pretty rough.

Campbell River looks has a ton of lodging options and marinas, but it looks like the fishing isn't as great as some of the more remote places.

Telegraph cove/Port Hardy also looks like a potentially great option. Would anyone be able to share some info on how the fishing is up there in mid-September?

Would really appreciate any help!
-James

Do you have a GPS?

Even a handheld unit will help-the chance of fog later in the season makes one a necessity in some places.

Port Hardy/Duval Point is often flat as a board @ that time, Coho fishing can be stupid good and accommodation prices drop after Labour Day, don't be afraid to ask for someone's 'Best Price' it's not as if guests are beating down the doors @ that time.

Always positive reviews of this place http://www.cluxewe.com/

Dogbreath,

Thanks for the tip. I always have two GPSs on the boat now after an extremely unpleasant experience involving fog, dead batteries, and a mud flat.

The Port Hardy area really looks great--especially with a paved road the whole way there. Based on some old forum posts, it looks like the coho retention regs have frustrated a lot of people up there. As far as I can tell, it looks like there should be ample limits of clipped fish this year (in particular 4 in Hardy Bay).

The Salmon University article makes Hardy Bay itself and around the corner at Duvall Point seems like a perfect place for a small boat. I'm sure that article is a little bit optimistic, but Hardy Bay seems like a good place to start, then if we get bored with it and the weather is good maybe venture a little further afield.

Hardy is great for a small boat. I had no problem with my 18' boat. Duvall and Daphne Point (on the other side) are close. Good fishing in the early morning. The wind often comes up in the afternoon. Easy place to catch some fantastic springs. I'd like to go back!

Back