Fishing Salt Spring Island

Alex_c

I am going to be house sitting on SSI for a number of days in the next few weeks, and I am wondering if it’s worth bringing my boat over. I’ll be staying on the west side of the island, and it looks like both the public boat ramps are on the east side. Is there any fishing on the east side? I know of a few spots on the west side, but it’s a really long trek in a small boat around the island. Obviously there is a cost to bringing the boat over, so unless there are some great opportunities I probably won’t bring it.

Is tent island close enough? I can’t really comment on the fishing there other than the odd report mentioning tent and a few good reports from a friend who fished it during last years MSF opening

Is tent island close enough? I can’t really comment on the fishing there other than the odd report mentioning tent and a few good reports from a friend who fished it during last years MSF opening
It’s about an hour there from Ganges it looks like. A bit too far for a solo trip in the winter. There’s a very rough launch at Fernwood, but I’m not sure about parking.

It’s about an hour there from Ganges it looks like. A bit too far for a solo trip in the winter. There’s a very rough launch at Fernwood, but I’m not sure about parking.
You could go South to Coal. We got into fish all over that area during the Galiano Derby. I'm assuming there are winters there?

Hmm yeah, seems like it would be a more protected run, and a quick boot into Sidney if something goes sideways

Hmm yeah, seems like it would be a more protected run, and a quick boot into Sidney if something goes sideways
There were guys catching up at the South end of Salt Spring too. Fishing is easy man, they're everywhere. Right?

Just my .015 cents but I was in a much bigger boat then you have last August and I saw some really sporty conditions around Moresby Passage on tide changes with a bit of wind. And this was August, not January. I'd be watching the weather and tides with a keen eye in a 16 foot boat fishing this time of the year but I'm guessing you already know that

Just my .015 cents but I was in a much bigger boat then you have last August and I saw some really sporty conditions around Moresby Passage on tide changes with a bit of wind. And this was August, not January. I'd be watching the weather and tides with a keen eye in a 16 foot boat fishing this time of the year but I'm guessing you already know that
Yes, definitely. Sort of why I’m on the fence about bringing the boat and taking solo trips in unfamiliar water. Probably better off just bribing a local to take me out for a case of beer, a bag of island lettuce and a couple brown bills. Yes, that’s an open offer lol.

Yes, definitely. Sort of why I’m on the fence about bringing the boat and taking solo trips in unfamiliar water. Probably better off just bribing a local to take me out for a case of beer, a bag of island lettuce and a couple brown bills. Yes, that’s an open offer lol.
Better be electric lettuce if you’re going to salt spring!

Fernwood launch is pretty rough, but you could launch in Fulford harbour w a 3m tide, a bit less if you have a roller trailer. Depending what the tides are doing that could give you a few hrs to fish around Coal or Moresby. But better if you tie up for the night at the public dock in Fulford and get a couple days fishing. Might even be some crabs around that area. Let me know when you are there, I may be back then and up for a fish.

Fernwood launch is pretty rough, but you could launch in Fulford harbour w a 3m tide, a bit less if you have a roller trailer. Depending what the tides are doing that could give you a few hrs to fish around Coal or Moresby. But better if you tie up for the night at the public dock in Fulford and get a couple days fishing. Might even be some crabs around that area. Let me know when you are there, I may be back then and up for a fish.
Do you launch at Drummond park at Fulford? Not really much info online, not even on the SSI Harbour Authority web page, but Navionics shows a ramp there. What’s it like?

I used to launch there when I had an 18’ Lund. It’s more of a beach than a ramp, but works at high tide.

I used to launch there when I had an 18’ Lund. It’s more of a beach than a ramp, but works at high tide.
I’ve trimmed my motor all the way up and dumped my boat off the roller trailer into 1’ of water before - the joys of frequenting the Vanier Park ramp lol. Should be good to go on a high tide.

3m tide was basically my cutoff, but an easy loader w bunks could get you a bit lower, or rollers still lower.

Attachments

• DA6E285B-6303-4321-A4CC-0F1E621C4EA0.jpeg
    DA6E285B-6303-4321-A4CC-0F1E621C4EA0.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 39
That pick is a failed attempt when the tide was 2.7m or so. Guess I am not going to find any buyers for my Tundra here :)

Hm might have to give the truck a fluid film shower beforehand. That looks do-able, I have a small lift and 33’s so I should be good slamming the brakes and sending the boat off the trailer

Back