Salmon in Victoria lately?

Hmmmmmmmm, me thinks that those few that are around, are picky,,,,;) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I've been out a couple of times lately off the waterfront and also off the Bedfords. I have seen an amazing amount of fish on the sounder but I have also seen many huge bait balls. It seems to me that there is definitely much more bait around this year than I have seen before. It makes sense to me then that the fish would be harder to catch (more picky)given the over abundance of bait.

JUST give it a couple more weeks maybe four and the winters will be around. have at lest 5 different colours of spoons ; purple haze hoochies ,white, and armyttruck,goeshrimp,57chev, greenspiderback and also 5in.apex,3.5 also in two or three colours. I don't use flashers on the rod, but for hoochies ,less than three feet to flasher. I use cheap dummy flasher on cannon ball then three feet up clip your spoon, small plug 4,5 in apex.When winters are in and not the seals ,you well have no problem getting one to eat. Bye dec, you will have a favorite lure, so when the bite is of just stick with it sometimes the bite is later in the day. if the bait around there should be fish at some point .For how deep 120 to 180 water front ,oakbay close to bottom,for whirldbay 120 to 150 I caught many at that depth .someday 30 springs between the three rods, I only take maybe one to eat that day. sometime there lots 3-6lb then I use only single hooks good for releasing and no net for releasing . wintersprings is my favorite fishing .mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[8)][8)][8)]

The winter or feeder springs are already here. If the wind lets up then go out and enjoy it. It can be fantastic fishing and if you go now you may hook the odd coho or chum inclusive...Don't wait - go now!

The winter or feeder springs are already here. If the wind lets up then go out and enjoy it. It can be fantastic fishing and if you go now you may hook the odd coho or chum inclusive...Don't wait - go now!

are the feeders out on the flats in good numbers? Or is that not a good place to go. It is just so convenient for me. I can be there in 5 mins, and i know the area so i am comfortable there. I could go elsewhere, like esquimalt or something, but i haven't done that yet. I think i just need to get the right combo down for the flats. What leader would you guys use out there? I was using a purple haze flasher with a white/purple sqiurt, and a betsy gold flaher with a glowing blue hootchie(i forgot the name of it). Both with approx 60" leader.

are the feeders out on the flats in good numbers? Or is that not a good place to go. It is just so convenient for me. I can be there in 5 mins, and i know the area so i am comfortable there. I could go elsewhere, like esquimalt or something, but i haven't done that yet. I think i just need to get the right combo down for the flats. What leader would you guys use out there? I was using a purple haze flasher with a white/purple sqiurt, and a betsy gold flaher with a glowing blue hootchie(i forgot the name of it). Both with approx 60" leader.

Appreciate your optimizm Chris.
It's been a pretty bummin' couple of weeks

Now if the wind will let down for the weekend :D
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

Appreciate your optimizm Chris.
It's been a pretty bummin' couple of weeks

Now if the wind will let down for the weekend :D
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

quote:Originally posted by rico

Forget the flats for now, i have better luck between Trial and Clover , or out to constance.
Try a coyote spoon on one side and squirt on the other.
5' leader is too long on the squirt, shorten it to 42".
Also, put away the betsy until next summer, and use a green/glo
or purple/glo flasher, and fish deep !
keep the gear as close to the bottom as possible.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Thanks for the tips rs. Just wondering, what troll speed do you use? My boat is not much of a deep see boat. I don't know if constance is a good idea.

2.5 knots is about right, gauge it by the angle of the wire if no GPS available.
Constance is about a 5 mile run from Oak bay.
Watch the weather reports, no problem running there in good conditions.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

so, to launch from cattle point, constance is about a 12 -15 minute boat ride?

well, i am gonna go, but i can't for a week and a bit as the family and i are going to disneyland. I cant wait to get back and go though:). Thanks for the help rs, it really helps. It's a huge learning curve, but i'm getting there.

Sloooowwww on salmon this morning off the waterfront :(
we found that halibut like coyote spoons dragged along the bottom
though :D
Got to meet a fellow SFBC member and fish out his nice 26' striper

Thanks Ten Mile !!

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I was at Island out fitters early this after noon as I was getting ready to leave this truck pulls in with a huge Halibut in the back.. they get the scale out and put this beast up, weighed in at 185 lbs. !! I got the kids out of of my truck to go see it on the scale there looking up at this beast and the look on there faces were priceless.. I did not get any detail of where they caught it or what.. I should of asked..

Back