Renfrew

now this might be a silly question, but what do the black bass fall under for management purposes? rockfish?

tks LC, there are so many around, and they are tasty but have had many disscusions trying to figure out what was legal

As LC said they are indeed a rockfish (Sebastes). And like other rockfish, do take years to reach sexual maturity. 3 per day should be enough. They can be a better choice than other species of rockfish for catch and release(fly fish/light tackle) because they sometimes suspend in schools in the top 30 feet and won't blowout their bladders if caught near the surface.

"The black rockfish, Sebastes melanops, is one of about 60 species of rockfish in the family Scorpaenidae. The black rockfish is wide-ranging recorded from Amchitka I., one of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, to San Miguel Island in southern California. They are a schooling rockfish that often congregates off rocky reefs nearshore to deep banks in open water to 1200 feet. They are a popular sportfish known as black bass. Length to 23 inches (59 cm)."

On occasion when I have a family to come fish with me, I strongly suggest the kids don't come out to the bank, because there will be puking and whining and crying and so forth. So we run out the evening before, the Zebco trout rods get deployed, and the kids get to load up on some quick action. When filleted, they have NO lateral bones like a Quillback. They also get a lot larger then most quillbacks you are likeley to see.

yes they are fun to play and generally a bit bigger, and can be found very shallow on the edge of kelp beds, so catch and release is possible , tons of fun and a nice meal at the end of the day, i like to make fish and chips out of em, tried the panko crumbs, mmmmm,
and like LC said you can take out kids or the less experienced and everyone has fun

Hey guys I have been wanting to fish the westcoast but Im wondering if my boat would do the trick , its a 17Ft hourston ,Sounder,Vhf,70 evenrude /hP kicker ? Im hoping to get into the sooke water's for some nice big springs[:p]

You're fine in Sooke with it.Just pay attention to the wind and tides if you haven't been to Sooke before.That's also okay for Renfrew inshore.Good idea to at least have a map GPS at Renfrew.DAN

I will be up at Renfrew next Wed, Thurs, and Friday. Do you still use a flasher when you are using plugs for springs out at the bank? I have had success with anchovies and spoons at for springs at the bank but I have never used plugs. Of course the anchovies get killed pretty quickly with the coho so I would like to give the plugs a try.

Thanks for the help:)

the bank for halibut was hot hot hot today, limits in about 45 minutes easy. One boat had 3 over 100lbs!
salmn was good in the morning, lots of coho on the bank, ok for springs. In shore the morning bite was good, and then nothing out of the enitre fleet more-less (except for my double header) until 2 when i bite began until i left at 3:00

Thanks for the info LC and the update nedard2. Nedard2 What part of the bank were you on for the halibut and what were you using for bait? I have had some success for hali out there but nothing that good.

M21

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

the bank for halibut was hot hot hot today, limits in about 45 minutes easy. One boat had 3 over 100lbs!
salmn was good in the morning, lots of coho on the bank, ok for springs. In shore the morning bite was good, and then nothing out of the enitre fleet more-less (except for my double header) until 2 when i bite began until i left at 3:00

How was the weather today? I'm heading up first thing in the morning! :) Thanks in advance.

i heard it was that good all week for halibut, but a littel slower the day before. We were using berkly gulp in blue off a spreader bar. 220-240' of water on the east corner

the westher was pretty rolly and a small chjop in the monring,but was calming down by around noon to almost glass

What is the VTS channel for the Swiftsure Bank area?

Will be at Renfrew the last week of August and just in case we get into some fog thought it might be nice to know if a tanker was bearing down....

Thanks

Thetis

Back