Renfrew

Is there another boat launch besides the Port renfrew marina ? seems the low tide is at 7:00 am tomorrow

quote:Originally posted by saltybeaver

Is there another boat launch besides the Port renfrew marina ? seems the low tide is at 7:00 am tomorrow

i believe there's another ramp at the native campground
not sure what kind of shape though ??

Used the Native luanch a couple of times this season. just your normal gravel luanch. Low tide can be a pain. The channel is deepest next to the Native docks and then 90 degrees across to right side of the river at the end of the docks. Watch for a sand bar past mouth of the river. I have the prop to prove it.

quote:Originally posted by Hoochiebob

quote:Originally posted by Hoochiebob

Good weekend up at Rennie-busy though.Day 1 was a bank trip and day 2 at the beach.Some pic's for http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/hoochiebob69/swiftsurehaliaug07.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/hoochiebob69/SUC50489.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/hoochiebob69/humpback.jpg
Found some real big fish on the bank!
hooch

put the lin to the pictures inbetween the

The native launch is not bad, bit rocky, I use it on low tides, eg. 3 ft. You place your money in an envelope metal box at the top of the launch. If the tide is around max flood you need to have a good eye when you load on the trailer as the boat will be pushed upstream.

Any reports from Renfrew? I will be headed up on Thursday for springs. I think I have a good idea where to start...Hit Owen Pt and head west to Logan and Camper. I will be pulling Tomics and the usual flasher/chovy combo. How far from shore, within a 100yds? in about 60 ft of water? Is there anything I am missing here for the general picture to have some success? You guys have been a big help, and I appreciate the info. you have shared with me. It sure makes fishing a lot less stressful when you have an idea of where to start!

LastChance, I'll be up for a couple days starting tomorrow with Yo Mama and Luna. If your around I'll find you and share a bevy with you.

TT

was up there on saturday ......one mid twentys in the boat one too the boat and another bent the hook and snaped off . In front of the nitnat seemed to be the best place seen lots of fish cought nothing too big logan seem pretty slow from what I could see .
I believe anchovie is what most people use but how the fu.. do you keep the black cod off. speed???? sombody please tell .

has any body else gone the lake cowichan way :D

Was out on Friday for the day. Worked pretty hard for our 17 pounder. Got that one off camper. Saw a few get caught, but wasn't great. Nice weather though. I packed my float coat and long johns when I should have packed shorts.

We launched my 19' boat at the native launch, it was fine other than not having a dock to load everybody into the boat.

We went through Lake Cowichan, a bit of washboard, but not too bad.

Was also out Friday only 2 fish a wild coho and a #28 Spring which I caught at the very end of the day off Camper. Saw a fair amount of fish caught and heard that Logan was on fire with a couple over #40s caught their. I was trying out those pretied teaser hook setups with two trebles most of the day and did not get one bite with them. Switched back to a single treble and two hits within 20 minutes including the one keeper. Left me wondering if those double treble setups scare off fish or if it was pure luck.

Pre-tied dual trebles? Noooo. Two trebles will add so much drag and weight to the setup your roll will look like a train wreck. Number 3 treble tied with a 3-0 single “RED” gamakatsu using 30lb Maxima. Get a knot book and make’m yourself.

You heard it here first.[:eek:)]

Seafun I have used the red gammies as trailer with success, I just came across those double treble setups from Rhys Davis and thought I would give them a try.

Went up last thursday, just got back Sunday! Fished Friday & Saturday. Friday caught one 17lb & 28lb off camper. 90 ft of water, at 45 ft. Anchovy spec, green flasher. Saturday fished Camper again. One bent hook & another broke line. Decided to call it quits and trolled toward the bay in about 100ft of water caught 2 springs trolling in... at 32ft deep both mid 20's. Guess I should have quit sooner! LOL All in all... good fishing![8D]

I have been pulling up different maps on the internet and looking at Google Earth and Google Maps. They don't seem to call out Logan Creek. Is Logan Creek like 2.5 miles west of Camper Creek? I am just trying to get my bearings here. It looks like there are quite a few creeks between renfrew and nitnat.

Hello I am new to the forum and am looking forward to talking fishing and boating with the crew here.

I was over at Nitinat on the weekend and we fished Swift Shore both Sat all day and Sun. morning and all we saw were lots of coho and about 7-8 undersized Spring's. Halibut were fairy easy to catch got our limit both days. Didn't see any guys out of the mouth of Nitnat narrows on Sat. but ther about 7-8 boats out on Sunday around noon when we came back in. I would have liked to try it but had a buddy in from South Africa and wasn't to keen on sitting there for hours waiting for the chance at a big fish. Does any body hear know if anybody was getting any action of off Nitinat?

Cheers
Jimmy

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

this might be a dumb question - but what area do most guys troll for springs on the bank? Near the west end of the closer? Also is it worth it or stick to the beach right now?

At Swiftsure, use a seven-inch Tomic plug #602, #493, #500, #530, #700, #803, #111. Get them down to 90 to 125 feet quick with a 15-pound ball to get through the wall of coho, and troll FAST 3.5 to 5 knots. 5.5-inch #3 Apex trolling lures, and 5.5 to 6.5-inch spoons (no flasher — Coyote, Diamond King, Tomic Roadrunner, O'Ki Titan in Green and Glow are also hot — but be prepared to release a few hundred wild coho).

The beach is good but use anchovy in a gold "Betsy" JDF head at least six feet behind a gold "Betsy" flasher trolled dead slow, if the pink salmon aren't in too thick

Back