All Areas - DFO Crab Multi-Sectoral Meeting - October 19, 2018

Whole in the Water

Thought I'd post this to let folks know about this upcoming meeting in Nanaimo. I'd like to attend but unfortunately cannot. Hopefully others that represent the rec. sector can. IMO the rec sector needs to get DFO to do the following to better support and represent the rec sector:
  • Close some key areas to commercial harvesting (i.e. places close to popular marinas, boat launches and fishing areas). Examples would be Pedder Bay and Port Renfrew, etc.). Commercial crabber can basically fish anywhere and there needs to be some places where the rec sector can hope to reasonably catch some crab that doesn't require special equipment, boats or travelling long distances.
  • Close commercial crabbing in places that are key salmon fishing areas (e.g. Otter Point, Muir Creek, etc.). At the very least have them set their traps deeper as they have the equipment to do so and not cause hazards to rec fishing and navigation.
Just a few of my thoughts and sure many on this forum have many more. The key is to go to the meetings and make our positions known to DFO. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Crab,
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish
Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN1077-General Information - All Areas - Crab Multi-Sectoral Meeting - October 19, 2018
The annual Crab multi-sectoral committee meeting is being held October 19, 2018
at 9:00 a.m. at the Coast Bastion Hotel in Nanaimo. All representatives that
have been previously identified by the Department are invited to attend.
The Crab Sectoral Committee provides a forum for the exchange of information
and views from all users and Fisheries and Oceans Canada on cross-sectoral
issues important to the conservation and management of the fishery.
The Sectoral Committee has the following goals:
•Allow the exchange of information between representatives and Fisheries &
Oceans.
•Advise on the development of annual Management Plans for the fishery.
•Advise on the development of long-term management strategies for the fishery.
•Provide information and advice regarding stock assessment and biological
research for the fishery.
•Recommend representatives to other advisory bodies, as required.
An agenda is being developed and will be distributed upon request prior to the
meeting. Representatives who would like to propose agenda items are asked to
contact Steven Groves – Regional Crab Lead (contact information below).
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Steven Groves
Section Head – Invertebrates and Pelagics
Resource Management
BC North Coast Area
Fisheries & Oceans Canada
417 2nd Avenue West
Prince Rupert, BC V8J 1G8
Tel.: (250) 627-3455
Email: Steven.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Steven Groves
Chef d’unité, Invertébrés et Pelagics
Gestion des Pêches
Secteur Côte Nord de la C.-B.
Pêches et Océans Canada
417, deuxième avenue ouest
Prince Rupert, BC V8J 1G8
Tel.: (250) 627-3455
Email: Steven.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN1077
Sent September 27, 2018 at 14:56
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

It's nuts all the crab pots (I think its crabs) that have been off the Victoria waterfront basically the whole summer. Right from 70ft off Esquimalt anglers out to 200 ft and possibly beyond. I have never seen commercial trapping in that area go on for so long.

watching commercial boat hit bedwell bay everyday.. sport areas only should be a thing.

Thanks for posting this, it's a big issue over here in Powell River. The commies have pretty much cleaned out the best spots and for the last few years have been working over what used to be marginal spots that only locals would fish with rowboats or kayaks. Used to be most folks would drop a trap or two at Harwood before fishing and pull at the end of the day. Now most of the people I know don't even bother. If you get anything in your trap it's females or males just undersize.

If I can believe the scuttlebutt, one of the "marginal" spots has had some sort of "suggested closure" for a couple years. From what I heard DFO requested that the commies bot fish there for certain parts of the season to allow better success for local rec fishers. As you might guess it had limited success.

A lot of us would support some commercial closures and I'm going to pass around this info as well as write an email; I won't be able to attend the meeting.

Another thought I've had is that perhaps a simpler solution to the problem would be to just increase the commercial size limit to 7'. Right now there seems to be an abundance of 6-3/8' males so all things staying the same you'd think the result of increasing the limit would be an abundance of 6-3/4" males that we then could keep. I can't imagine that rec fishers harvest could impact the population enough to effect the commie catch? And also the Commies would be forced to harvest bigger crab which I think would (in the retail world) compete better with larger crab from elsewhere.

used to be marginal spots that only locals would fish with rowboats or kayaks. Used to be most folks would drop a trap or two at Harwood before fishing and pull at the end of the day. Now most of the people I know don't even bother. If you get anything in your trap it's females or males just undersize.

The same has happened in our area, I don't even bother setting a trap anymore.
Sad....
:(

I totally agree. Obviously the Comm and Rec sector need to share this resource, but that is not happening! The Comm sector blankets large areas for long periods of time virtually wiping out any rec sector harvesting opportunities. There needs to be some areas that are for rec only harvest and maybe some size changes like mentioned above.

The Comms can go farther and deeper to get their catch, Rec's can't, so let the Comms fish deeper and farther away and leave some closer, shallower spots for rec only. The rec sector needs to pressure DFO to make these changes are it will not happen.

I have communicated my concerns to my south island SFAB rep who will be attending this upcoming crab meeting.

Back