Renfrew

quote:Originally posted by Cornfed

Islanderguy - How deep were the springs? Were you running big plugs? I was out there but the silvers were so thick it was hard to get a rig down.

Yes, big plugs running at 140 - 180 ft. Water depth was about 200ft. I was surprised to see that small springs and coho would strike such a large plug.

Fished Wednesday at East Point, bankers hours 2-5 for 2 springs. 1 20 and 1 teenager. yesterday was too lumpy to stay out long. Fished from 2 to 3:30 but it was too snotty at the point. Picked up our traps for a good crab dinner. Hauled out and came home this am.
T2

Tsquared - nice job with bankers hours! When you guys fish along the bank (shore) along renfrew, is it a flasher/chovy fishery? I have been going to swiftsure for quite some time now and the flasher/chovy combo just gets destroyed by dogfish or coho. Do the coho not run very close to shore until you get down towards sooke?

Islanderguy - I usually run the 6/7" 602, 603 or 500 tomics and am looking to add to my arsenal. Have you tried the UV plugs yet? What is your opinion or favorite plug?

Tight lines gentlemen.

Cornfed--If you stick close to shore on the spring tacks, you can USUALLY get away with chovies. If you move out into deeper water then you get nailed with the coho and pinks. Down here in Sooke (my usual hangout)the spring fishermen have been trying to find that magical spot where you can get springs without too many coho/pinks chewing up your bait. There are a few such spots around.
T2

Was in Renny on Fri night, Saturday. Had success with chovie/flasher combo. No problems with Coho or Pinks. We found the springs in the top 45 feet of water.

quote:Originally posted by xavier

Was in Renny on Fri night, Saturday. Had success with chovie/flasher combo. No problems with Coho or Pinks. We found the springs in the top 45 feet of water.

was that on the bank, or off the beach ?
any size to them ?

It was in the usual spots. East Point was very productive for us. Offshore was extremely productive for halibut. Our boat limited out on halis in one hour.

Good size to the springs for us, 1 33, 1 27, 2 25's and a couple of high teens. Our two biigest fish were caught in the top 35 feet of water.

An excellent day and a half.

Was there last Thursday full day on the banks & Friday at Logan for the morning bite.

Limited out Thursday on Halis & Salmon 15-20 lbs @ NorthWest corner by 11:45, it was wonky out and every boat had a champion hurler [V] [xx(] .

Friday got couple of nice ones, 25 & 31 at Logan top 47 ft of water. 47ft rigger caught both fish. Had a bigger one on, did a long line release...Also kept a couple of Hathery Coho.

On Thursday we did see a 40 & 50 on the scales at PRM, both caught at Kamper I believe. Nice to see the big ones this year.

Cornfed--East Point is the eastern point of San Juan bay(Renfrew)--where the lighthouse is. Logan is west along the shore from Renfrew a couple of stops. If you look on the chart you should see it. You will see the next big conglomeration of boats past the fleet at Camper Creek.
T2

Back From Renfrew this weekend. We got our Springs at Logan. 34 to 64 feet. I ran a dummy flasher and chovy. That seemed to work the Fri to Sun. Nothing yesterday but fish were being caught. A couple in the 40's by the sounds of it. Lots of fog in the AM.

Back out this weekend.

MJ

When do the Renfrew Springs usually stop running or when does the run slow? I am going to try to make a trip up August 18th. Will it be worth it or will it be dead?

Cornfed you should still be in the heart of the springs at that time. I am heading up on Aug 22 and I am hoping for good things. They have their derby on Labour Day Weekend so that is a sign that it still good then. I have fished srpings there the weekend after Labour Day and it was still pretty good. I have heard that it usually starts to slow down for springs after that but I have not been to Renfrew that late.

My uncle got back from a 3 day trip to Renfrew yesterday. He and his buddy kept 8 springs (their bag limit) between 21 - 30 lbs. They lost a couple of other good ones and through back several in the teens. He has fished a lot and he said it was as good as he has seen Renfrew.

Good luck:)

Wow! The some what sober part of my stagg starts in on my cousin's boat up there. Getting megga excited so go!

Just back from Renny ~ seined the blue line on a test fishery. Still very few sockeye showing up. Checked the docks and they are still limiting hali on the Bank with a few small springs thrown in the mix. The beach boys were hooking into some nice fish. One guide landed a 35 and a 40 yesterday and lost 2 of the same quality beside the boat today and boated a 25. Barbless hooks to blame for today's losses I was told. [B)]

Good weekend up at Rennie-busy though.Day 1 was a bank trip and day 2 at the beach.Some pic's for [ihttp://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/hoochiebob69/swiftsurehaliaug07.jpgmg][/img]
[/ihttp://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/hoochiebob69/SUC50489.jpgmg]
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/hoochiebob69/humpback.jpg
Found some real big fish on the bank!
hooch

Going out there tomorrow.

What VHF channel do most guys use out there?

Back