Purchasing new boat

R

rainbow one

I have been looking at new boats for a while now. The styles have included Silver Streak, Lifetimer, and North Shore. Does anyone have opinions on these? Is there any others I should consider? Looking for a cabin style in the 24'length. Also, Yamaha seems to have the market on the outboards. Are they that good or do they just have good marketing? All opinions appreciated.

RO

Dont know much on the boats but lots of good info will come im sure. Yamaha's a great engine its not just the marketing. In most peoples opinion best brand out there and is what most are running.

If you're looking for a welded Aluminum check out Wolf Boats up here between Courtenay and Campbell River
http://www.wolfboats.com/
By far the best boats on the market.
Beamy and very well constructed.
I've been researching Welded for about four years and there's too many that just won't either do the job or have suspect designs.
I've even seen some that the sides have stove piped (multiple ripples) sides after only one year in the water.
Wolf can custom make a 24 with a cuddy and Alaska bulkhead, powered and with a trailer for about 70k (this has all the bells and whistles)
Do your research very carefully and ask some of the owners after they've had them for a couple years.
Another one that I feel is worth checking out is Lifetimer in Duncan.

Better not forget about "Eagle Craft" paul, dont want kevvy mad at us LOL,very good boat as well but out of my price range.

Wolf

Can't beat silver streak in my opinion (obviously I own one). Best hull design and quality construction. And check out the honda motors. I've known yamaha's to have some problems but that just may be because there is more of them out there. My two cents.

Also try Cope Boats. I believe they are out of Parksville. Don't have personal experience in the larger sizes, but in the smaller, people swear by them. Smaller shop, so not too many around.

I,ve been lurking here for awhile and heve enjoyed the site immensely so figured I'd add my 2 cents to the motor question.

Check out the new Suzuki big blocks (150 hp and up) if you're looking for an alternative to Yamaha. The Yammies seem to be the favourites around here and they are excellent motors no doubt but the Suzukis are excellent as well.

I run a Johnsuki 140 on my Lund and have been very impressed with the performance, reliability and fuel efficiency. Love it!

Never heard of these guys before. I looked at the site and they look great. Planning on coming to the Island and looking at a few different boats. I will be looking at the wolf boats for sure. Do you know of anyone that has one of these and for how long? Keep me posted on anything worth looking into as I will be purchasing within a year or two.
RO
quote:Originally posted by blueorca

If you're looking for a welded Aluminum check out Wolf Boats up here between Courtenay and Campbell River
http://www.wolfboats.com/
By far the best boats on the market.
Beamy and very well constructed.
I've been researching Welded for about four years and there's too many that just won't either do the job or have suspect designs.
I've even seen some that the sides have stove piped (multiple ripples) sides after only one year in the water.
Wolf can custom make a 24 with a cuddy and Alaska bulkhead, powered and with a trailer for about 70k (this has all the bells and whistles)
Do your research very carefully and ask some of the owners after they've had them for a couple years.
Another one that I feel is worth checking out is Lifetimer in Duncan.

Right on C.S. opti all the way LOL

Lets face it all the motors out there are great now!!!I have heard bad things on all motors i did hear too about the 4 stroke yammys with head problems, v the new v tech burning too much fuel and power heads blowing up every motor will have a lemon sooner or later.
I do know most of the whale watching boats use optis so they cant be all that bad but i am bias because I have one and really like it great gas economy and huge torgue out of the whole.

Good luck Wolf

I love my 150 Opti.That said,Mercury has a promo on new motors right now offering 3years free extented warrenty.The new ETECs have a geat warrenty as well.4 VRS 2 stroke thread can happen elsewhere,I am a little leary of a saltwater supercharger on the Verado.If I went that route I think I would get the longest warrenty possible.Otherwise all the new power out there is nice and like cars nowadays they all seem to be more efficient and more reliable.What is your favorite colour?

There are quite a few builders in the custom aluminum boat building industry but they are not all equal. Things to look for are type of welding single sided [xx(]or fusion (full penatration)[8D], grade of aluminum, thickness of aluminum, amount of internal strengthing of the hull, dead rise, rigging, expierence and warranty just to name a few. Yes Daigle Welding and Marine (EagleCraft Boats) are one of the most expensive but they hold there value unlike most production line or small builders boats and are one of the strongest built in Canada for over 20 years. Remember aluminum lasts a lifetime if it's built right and is looked after, so you may want to save money by purchasing a preowned and you will get an even a bigger bang for your buck. I would be happy to show you through are plant in Campbell River to show you the differences anytime. www.eaglecraft.bc.ca

p.s. We use alot of Yamaha's but stay away from the 115's the 200's and 250's are excellent motors with no problems reported so far.

Cheers Kevin

I would like to look around your facility. I will be in the area around the 2nd of Jan/07. Thanks, RO
quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

There are quite a few builders in the custom aluminum boat building industry but they are not all equal. Things to look for are type of welding single sided [xx(]or fusion (full penatration)[8D], grade of aluminum, thickness of aluminum, amount of internal strengthing of the hull, dead rise, rigging, expierence and warranty just to name a few. Yes Daigle Welding and Marine (EagleCraft Boats) are one of the most expensive but they hold there value unlike most production line or small builders boats and are one of the strongest built in Canada for over 20 years. Remember aluminum lasts a lifetime if it's built right and is looked after, so you may want to save money by purchasing a preowned and you will get an even a bigger bang for your buck. I would be happy to show you through are plant in Campbell River to show you the differences anytime. www.eaglecraft.bc.ca

p.s. We use alot of Yamaha's but stay away from the 115's the 200's and 250's are excellent motors with no problems reported so far.

Cheers Kevin

Just talked to Doug and he said he is not taking any deposits on new orders because he is booked 4 months into the new year right now. Thanks for the information.
RO
quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

You should look at the Northwest Aluminum Craft, built in Langford. Doug will build whatever you want. If you go out to Renfrew in the summer and look at the guide boats 90 % are his, so that shows how people who are working for a living on the water perfer Northwest, his ph. # is 478-0410.:D

What size???both blue orca and I have one for sale!!!!!!

Wolf

I am looking in the 20' range with a hard top. The 24's look really nice but also are nice $$...

Back