Pacific Cod

Seems that the Pacific Cod made an impressive comeback since last year on southern VI. I only knew them from an older "How to catch bottom fish" book and from fishing Swiftsure Bank. Since last summer there are tons of small Pacific Cod all over the JDF (< 2 lbs). A few are somewhat larger and worthwhile keeping. Hope they stick around until they are 10 to 15 lbs because that would be a fun fishery then. Wonder though what brought them back? Is it because of declining salmon, rock fish, ling stocks that there is an empty niche to be filled? Is that gonna be our replacement for salmon? But then again, apparently they were more plentyful in the past when there were more salmon too. Hm. Maybe it's a good sign of general improvement to west coast fish stocks and the salmon, rock fish and lings will make a similar comeback down the road. Pacific Cod are fast growing species - so maybe there is a glimmer of hope...

Well that is good news Chris that the Cod are moving further south. There were even reports of several Halibut caught in Vancouver Harbor last summer. I can't ever remember hearing reports of Halibut caught in the Harbor in all the time I've fished here. Maybe there is some hope for improvement.

Heres another pic of one i got off french creek. I caught tons but this is the biggest and only one i bonked at only about 5 Lbs. Couldnt get much meat off it.They really seemed to just show up last year and i never remember them before that.

001-1.jpg

I have caught a grey cod before very similar to Pacific cod at Polly's Point and also one at Cous Creek in Alberni Inlet while fishing for salmon. Both released.

Have been catching them for years around Gower Point/Camp Byng. They seem to prefer a sandy bottom and are generally found over 80 feet. I've caught them with all sorts of different jigs. They school, so if you catch one... there are more around.

Nice to see you guys are catching Pacific Cod on the inside. I haven't seen any out here on the west coast yet. I'll have to check with some of the other guides.

These fish are great for making fish & chips.

I once got one that weighed in at 25 pounds. Caught it while drifting for Halibut off of Wales Island in Dixon Entrance.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back