Pacific Cod

Clipper

I was picking up what I believe to be Pacific Cod the other day and was wondering if there are any size or catch limits for these fish? I can't find any info about them in the regs.

Codfish...
No size limit and 8 a day :D

There are lots of P-Cod on the ECVI. We catch them all the time off Hornby, Cape Lazo etc. They are thru out the straight. Now if I could only find Black Cod.

If you dont mind me asking, which method do you use for catching these? (Jigging, trolling etc?)

Mostly caught trolling on the hump off the end of Quadra fishing for springs down on the bottom. Bait, or flasher and hootches catches them.,.........BB

One quick question - Are you guys sure that what you are catching are Pacific Cod and not Pollock?

I've caught some Pollock on the inside near Bowen Island in the past, but the only Pacific Cod I've seen were at the bottom of the Alaska Panhandle in Dixon Entrance. Also a good spot for the occasional Black Cod.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Sushi - I think (I have been wrong before though) you are right, most of what we catch at the hump in CR is Pollock or Hake.
And if you want please help right now it's re-donkulous for these little buggers! Though there are fish we call Grey Cod that we catch out there as well. Some even get pretty hefty. I took one home to eat last year after several years of wondering if that's what they were. The meat was a little soft but tasted just fine cooked.
Doesn't mean it was a Pacific Cod but it looked like it and it didn't taste all that bad either.

Copied and Pasted From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pacific cod, Gadus macrocephalus, is an important commercial food species. It is also known as gray cod, gray goo, gray wolf, grayest or grayfish.

What we catch here is cod. You can tell the differance by the noodle under its lower jaw. Pollock does not have the little noddle. P-cod and Grey Cod are the same fish

UCM060495.jpg

Pacific Cod

Pollock.gif

Pollock

web_finalblkcodillustr.jpg

Alaska Black Cod (Sablefish)

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

The first picture is the fish that we catch here all the time. There is lots of them around. I bet I catch 8-10 of them every day I am out trolling for salmon. They range from 2-10lbs. Most of them though are 3-4lbs.

Yup the first picture looks more like the critters I catch that we call Grey Cod. BUT, the second picture looks like the smaller critters that are a real problem chewing on my gear all the time and I never even know they're there.
Here's another photo of them I found on the internet that looks JUST like them:
3255861.jpg

On a side note about 3 years back (maybe 4) I caught a sablefish in the narrows that was 15lbs. I didn't think we had them around either so I brought it back to the dock and had the DFO guy ID it. He agreed it was Black Cod and he said he hadn't heard of any around here before.
Made for a good dinner.

Assassin that's correct I found that picture on google under "fishing pollock".
What I was trying to say was I think we have BOTH species out on the hump. The smaller ones are Pollock and the larger ones with the dongles under the chin are the P-Cod/Grey Cod.
Sorry if I haven't been clear.
Again, I'm not saying this is the way it is, just my observation.

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

One quick question - Are you guys sure that what you are catching are Pacific Cod and not Pollock?

I've caught some Pollock on the inside near Bowen Island in the past, but the only Pacific Cod I've seen were at the bottom of the Alaska Panhandle in Dixon Entrance. Also a good spot for the occasional Black Cod.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Hey Jim
I have caught Pacific Cod before in Howe Sound and in Georgia Strait but its been a while. The one I got up by Anvil Island years ago was quite large at about 3' long. The only photo I could find was one we caught several years ago on the bottom in about 190 ft while fishing winter chinook at French Creek. See photo (I enlarged the lower jaw so you can see barbell)

IMG_3361pacificcod.jpg

IMG_3361barbell.jpg

J.L. Hart's Pacific Fishes of Canada shows 4 similar looking fish which includes the Pacific Cod (Gadus macrocephalus), Pacific Tomcod (Microgadius proximus), Pacific Hake (Merluccius productus)and Walleye Pollock (Theragra chalcogramma).

All of the above, except the Hake, have 3 dorsal fins. The Hake has 2 dorsal fins ( the rear dorsal is long with a lower profile section in the middle) The Hake also has no barbel on the lower jaw where as the Pacific Cod has a long barbel on the lower jaw. The Pacific Tomcod has a very small barbel and this fish only grows to 12". The Pollock has a very minute or no barbel. Other than the smaller Pacific Tomcod the others can all grow to 3' in length ( slightly more for the Pacific Cod)

Forgot to include the Sablefish in my descriptions of the other 4 fish. The Sablefish has only 2 dorsal fins so similar in that way to the Hake but the difference is that the Sablefish's rear dorsal is much shorter in length than that of the Hake. The Sablefish has a forked caudal fin and grows to 40". See ident photo of Sablefish in Sushi's post above.

I've caught tomcod in the southern strait, but never true pacific cod down here. I've caught Pacific Cod on the north island, very good eating fish. Never caught a sablefish though I'd sure like to. Sable fish are awesome smoked, (also known as Smoked Alaska Black Cod). Had a friend who used to give me Sablefish now and then and it was by far my favorite fish smoked. I have an old book from the 1960's that said Sablefish used to be caught off the mouth of the Fraser. Unfortunately, overfishing has obviously reduced a lot of species range. At one time Halibut were even commercially fished right in Vancouver harbor.

Back