Gibbs Cod Jig

Fishdreamer

Crew Member
I recently won a Gibbs cod jig in a raffle and am wondering if anyone has used these, and if you've been successful with them? I normally use bait or pipe jigs but am willing to try this but just don't how long I should keep using if I don't hook anything.

I recently won a Gibbs cod jig in a raffle and am wondering if anyone has used these, and if you've been successful with them? I normally use bait or pipe jigs but am willing to try this but just don't how long I should keep using if I don't hook anything.
All of them I’ve used have worked good cod will bite anything most of the time biggest thing is proper weight for depth your fishing

Do you have a picture which one??

Fifty years ago, that was the standard, although not necessarily that big. Unless you're fishing really deep where there are strong currents, or you want to build up your upper body, pumping that behemoth up and down will test your strength and endurance.

They wouldn't have been around this long if they didn't catch fish, but most people today use a more streamlined design that sinks faster at lower weights.

They work well. Tiresome to fish but they definitely work.

Attachments

• IMG-20220511-WA0001(1).jpg
    IMG-20220511-WA0001(1).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 152
I caught my biggest halibut on one of those. Smaller 10oz version. Squeeze some scent into that red plastic and put a little bit of bait on one of the 3 hooks. The wire holding the hook did bend but that might have been after it was boated. I put a split ring on the hook and bent it back. All good. They are also good at catching rocks so keep that in mind if you’re on a reef. 👍🏻

They are also good at catching rocks so keep that in mind if you’re on a reef. 👍🏻
Here here....we used to use at least 80 lb test or more which was helpful when it did catch a rock, just wrap the heavy test line round a rear cleat and knock it in gear at idle, the hook gets straightened out and you get your jig back.

Last edited:
Gillnet deckhand, twelve years old, every time we pass Cape Caution, out would come the Norwegian Jig with 200# test mono on a plywood board.
Let it hit bottom, then 'reel' up. Would always catch something tasty. Usually rockfish, but a couple of big lings and one halibut to keep it interesting.

But, that was meat fishing and now I'm in charge we try and do it with more sport. I guess I was in charge at age sixteen, so that was awhile ago!

Back