Offseason Upgrades - 1997 Pursuit Denali 2460

el.Pereh

I am looking to get a new kicker without a tiller this offseason and get some throttle control going up at the helm. Has anyone done this on a denali?

I am curious if there is a model of throttle control designed for twin outboards where I could use one side for my I/O main and the other side for the kicker.

If not, where have you put yours?

Subscribed. About this time each year I wonder exactly the same for myself, usually following and afternoon of effing around with the ez steer bar like last Saturday. My outcome remains the same, more ez steer pain and slide down the slippery slope to a) convert this boat to outboards or b) buy another boat...I am simply using a yamaha 703 control box side mounted near the helm.

put a ram on the kicker ....
if you have hdy steering then just tap into that and put a set of 3 way valves in ...
done no more messing with tie bars .

servo control for the throttle. $100 mod at most been discussed before ....

i run a I/O and kicker in fact only use the remote to fire the kicker no cables to throttle or gear just put in forward manually .

In my case the hole for the transom very likely won't support more cables either, I'd be all over the 3 way valve config and shift manually. Time for some more internet sleuthing...

put a ram on the kicker ....
if you have hdy steering then just tap into that and put a set of 3 way valves in ...
done no more messing with tie bars .

servo control for the throttle. $100 mod at most been discussed before ....

i run a I/O and kicker in fact only use the remote to fire the kicker no cables to throttle or gear just put in forward manually .

Do you mind posting a photo of your setup?

I do have hydraulic steering. Does it affect the steering on your main at all?

I am not handy with these things. Has anyone had a good experience with a shop in the lower mainland that can take care of everything for me from parts/engine to install? I dont want to **** around.

Do you mind posting a photo of your setup?

I do have hydraulic steering. Does it affect the steering on your main at all?

I am not handy with these things. Has anyone had a good experience with a shop in the lower mainland that can take care of everything for me from parts/engine to install? I dont want to **** around.

I believe sfbc member @wescan marine has experience with this sort of config. Im also interested as well for sure. I think the 3 way valve goes inline before your main steering ram. Flick the valve and the fluid is now diverted to your lines that are connected to your kickers steering ram. I'm very keen hear as well...

That’s exactly how mine works. Having the kicker on a separate ram was an awesome upgrade.

I spent some time today with my head stuffed into the transom and I'd say its pretty damn straight forward. You may even be able to tread the valve onto the main steering ram and then run the hydrologic line to the kicker ram and bleed the systems equally. I've never spent much time wondering about how this works but it is seeming straight forward I guess i gotta mark down the exact model of the main steering ram and work from there.

The through hull for the power, fuel and remote control cables has limited space so hopefully the hydro cable is thin to the kicker. Ez Steer your days of trying to drown me are numbered!!

AB1752
when your Gibsons next swing by and i'll show yeah .....3 mins from the ferry

my hdy steering is done on 3/8th air lines and compression fittings running AW32 fluid. i tapped into the old merc ram on the Gimbal for the alpha leg using steel brake lines and 3 ways where put in before the ram other set hoses drilled a thru hull for the lines to go to the kicker ram .

I spent some time today with my head stuffed into the transom and I'd say its pretty damn straight forward. You may even be able to tread the valve onto the main steering ram and then run the hydrologic line to the kicker ram and bleed the systems equally. I've never spent much time wondering about how this works but it is seeming straight forward I guess i gotta mark down the exact model of the main steering ram and work from there.

The through hull for the power, fuel and remote control cables has limited space so hopefully the hydro cable is thin to the kicker. Ez Steer your days of trying to drown me are numbered!!
I'm almost certain it's not that easy on an IO because the pressure in your power steering doesn't match that in the kicker. Or maybe that's just for my seastar ram? This is what I was told anyways. I wanted to be able to steer my kicker from my upper helm but was told no dice. My kicker is steered from wheel #3 at the back on it's own system.

my kicker has a seastar ram
the I/O is using the old ram from the merc which pivots on the gimbal housing
was told it can't be done well guess it can as its been working like that for the past five years.
as said it runs on AW32 not red power steering fluid.
there is no more power assit to boot which give more HP back to the engine .... one less belt &pulley to drive ....

but feel free to go blow your money on shop rates
i do my fishing on a low income and try do most of my mech/electric work ....myself
and i trust me ..... lol

Last edited:
More research is definitely required and I'm sure there are different applications. I'm fairly sure what I am thinking of is how @wolf has his configured and he's running a similar Volvo config to mine.

Are you looking for steering and throttle? For throttle a trollmaster pro 3 plus is pretty awesome, wireless throttle control.

I was initially looking for throttle, now have realized how nice it would be to not run my tie bar.

Has anyone had a good experience with a shop that has taken care of this for them? Doing this myself is not my bag

I agreed and when I made it down to the image of the 6 way valve I immediately started calculating, yet again, the costs of an overall outboard conversion lol. I have a few guys I will call and ask what they think too.

We have a 1999 2460 Pursuit Denali and had the same issue when we first got it - we were working with an ez steer system which was a pain in the butt to say the least and after 1 season we said forget this noise - we had to get kicker control in the helm and this is what we did and we have been happy with it and it has worked great with no issues whatsoever - I have attached 4 photos (have no idea why 2 of them have loaded upside down, sorry about that). We put a standard ride-guide steering system in at the helm with a small steering wheel, ran steering cable through the side wall and out the back. To exit the boat at the back corner I bought a standard angled stainless steel stanchion base, then I sikaflexed around the cable and the stanchion for waterproofing. Ran it out through that with a tight turn into the transom assembly of the kicker. Put a standard Yamaha steering bar on - works great. I bolted the steering bar on with stainless bolt and wing nut so I can easily unhook the steering bar and steer the kicker if I want on nice sunny days with a clamp on with a tiller handle extension. I still have to shift and throttle though from the helm station but this set up has worked perfectly with no breakdowns whatsoever - cost was under $500.00 in materials. Considered other systems but cost and longevity of those systems with some of them needing continuous electrical power we decided to go simple and low maintenance. PM me if you want more info.

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 57
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 57
  • cables 1.jpg
    cables 1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 58
  • cables 2.jpg
    cables 2.jpg