Merc 9.9 pro kicker?

Macdeep

Hey so kickers- not all seem to be born the same as far as smoothness and ability to keep a steady mid throttle 2-2.5 knots.

I like the steer and throttle from the helm idea, but I’m not sold on my 9.9 pro set up. It runs like it could save me in a pinch but I’m struggling to troll on it.

It seems like it has 2 options- idle or 75-100% throttle.

Going to live with it for now and see if I can make it work by 1) putting in more time to see if I just need to warm it up more or get used to it etc. or 2) spending some $$ for a carb clean etc to start the season next year. It trolls ok off the main so I can live with it for now.

Question is- should I plan to switch to a Yamaha kicker next year or put in the $ to get the merc tuned up?

I’d even consider ditching the steer from the helm for a regular tiller kicker if they’re gains in performance. Certainly I enjoy the ability to fish solo and steer on the tiller while battling a fish etc. but I’m easy either way, just settling into a new boat platform.

Mine had a spark plug issue early on, despite having less than 6 hours on it (strictly back up engine). It does push my boat along well, 1.5 to 7 knots and everything in between. Perhaps the throttle cable is problematic?

Last edited:
Hey so kickers- not all seem to be born the same as far as smoothness and ability to keep a steady mid throttle 2-2.5 knots.

I like the steer and throttle from the helm idea, but I’m not sold on my 9.9 pro set up. It runs like it could save me in a pinch but I’m struggling to troll on it.

Going to live with it for now and see if I can make it work by 1) putting in more time to see if I just need to warm it up more or get used to it etc. or 2) spending some $$ for a carb clean etc to start the season next year. It trolls ok off the main so I can live with it for now.

Question is- should I plan to switch to a Yamaha kicker next year or put in the $ to get the merc tuned up?

I’d even consider ditching the steer from the helm for a regular tiller kicker if they’re gains in performance. Certainly I enjoy the ability to fish solo and steer on the tiller while battling a fish etc. but I’m easy either way, just settling into a new boat platform.
It's not functioning properly. How old is this thing? If you bought it used then it's probably a gunked carb issue.
A modern prokicker is injected. I presume yours is older if it's carbed.
I'd take a new 9.9 Merc prokicker over a 9.9 yamaha ht any day (yam isn't injected). I have owned both and put thousands of hours on both. The Small carbed engines are really prone to issues from fuel sitting in the carb to long among many others.

It's not functioning properly. How old is this thing? If you bought it used then it's probably a gunked carb issue.
I'd take a new 9.9 Merc prokicker over a 9.9 yamaha ht any day (yam isn't injected). I have owned both and put thousands of hours on both. The Small carbed engines are really prone to issues from fuel sitting in the carb to long among many others.
Agreed. Yamaha needs to get with the program here!
I’d take a Suzuki setup over anything right now. Fuel Injected and Japanese reliability.

Edit: I’d take anything over my nothing right now.

Anyone have experience with Mercury's 5hp propane motor?

Ya it’s a 2013, and bought used. The thermostat was a lump of salt so replaced that. Did all the 100hr stuff right away. Oils were ok, just used. Impeller was cracking but intact- replaced. Did spark plugs too.

Runs smooth and responds with some sensitivity when on muffs, both in gear and on throttle only. Throttle cables seem good.

It’s a whole different animal once it’s in the water.

Idle seems weak, doesn’t respond to the throttle until it’s revving well past trolling speed. Down riggers were well back of 45 degrees with those mini flashers on instead of the regular 11” ones. GPS said 3.5-3.8 knots in not much current going with me.

Of course at nearly full throttle it seems very happy.

I didn’t let it warm up much though but I’m sure it will need a throttle cleaning and perhaps some adjustments.

Is that something a guy who can do a 100hr service but otherwise relies on YouTube for other mechanical issues should try and tackle? Or am I better off with a bill for a few hours of shop time?
I'd take a new 9.9 Merc prokicker over a 9.9 yamaha ht any day (yam isn't injected). I have owned both and put thousands of hours on both. The Small carbed engines are really prone to issues from fuel sitting in the carb too long among many others

I've got a 2017 9.9 pro kicker. As mentioned by a few people already, it's almost certainly a dirty carburetor. If I don't get fuel stabilizer in mine before winter it runs like absolute garbage the next season. Every time, without fail. Clean the carb, it's good as new again.

If you're challenged changing a flat tire, best take it to a shop. Should only cost one hour of shop time max. If you're even a little bit mechanically capable, it's an easy job. There are YouTube tutorials that walk you through it. It's not hard, just don't lose any of the little pieces.

If you're doing thermostats and impellers you can clean a carb no problem.

Ship Happens hooked me up with a trollmaster and it's awesome , I can dial my 9.9 pro from dead idle up to full throttle .1 of a knot at a time if I want

I've got a 2017 9.9 pro kicker. As mentioned by a few people already, it's almost certainly a dirty carburetor. If I don't get fuel stabilizer in mine before winter it runs like absolute garbage the next season. Every time, without fail. Clean the carb, it's good as new again.

If you're challenged changing a flat tire, best take it to a shop. Should only cost one hour of shop time max. If you're even a little bit mechanically capable, it's an easy job. There are YouTube tutorials that walk you through it. It's not hard, just don't lose any of the little pieces.

If you're doing thermostats and impellers you can clean a carb no problem.
Sounds like I have some YouTube time ahead of me 👍

Are you running on 87 octane? I’ve found my kicker doesn’t like 89 or 91 it’ll need to run near full throttle to run smoothly.

Right now I'm running regular gas, but likely to switch to what ever the Hyde Creek Petro has for marked boat gas. Not sure if it's regular or premium.

But otherwise, I did the carb cleaning without too much trouble. No major gunk built up, but I'd guess that the ports were not 100%. Will be better prepared next time though - will be replacing the gaskets next time I get a chance. They were showing their age for sure.

She started up much happier than before. Filled a tote with water and ran it that way instead of on the muffs. Did a little test in gear and she seems to have much more throttle sensitivity that suggests it might troll nicely now, but will be doing some fishing this weekend so here's hoping it's fixed up to troll.

id also throw a whole can of seafoam in your tank so your main and kicker will get a clean out ... can never hurt that stuf is the best
Done and done. Did that when I filled up after discovering that kicker wasnt kicking as expected. Already got a new can for the next tank.

that stuff is awesome. It revived my lawn mower this spring.

I have a new Merc 9.9 EFI Prokicker and Yams which already stated carb only .I have remote throttle at helm which I prefer

Back