Help Me Mod my Boat!

Well, I went up to take a look at the boat yesterday...took a lot of measurements so I can figure out what I’m going to do, might do, or won’t do over the winter.

But I got really lucky and was able to scratch the most important mod off the list
:

Get the Lewmar anchor off the boat and replace it with this:

5823F875-6AE7-41B3-B9B6-F5F55189246A.jpeg

Wow, a Rocna 15 off Craigslist for $ 200......it’s been in someone’s backyard for a few years...check out the shackle the guy used—-completely rusted, more appropriate for a 10 lb anchor

This one is a beast, a bit of overkill for the Commander 28, but the next size Rocna under that is under-kill so it was a good find

Funny you should mention that. I tossed and turned in bed last night thinking about the towing issue. I tried picturing what it would be like towing that thing through downtown Victoria in July.....and through the mountain pass on the way to Port Hardy

When I asked if the trailer was part of the deal I was informed that most people who have Commanders don’t trailer them.

I have a 7.3L F250—I’m sure it’ll pull that boat. I guess the question is, will it stop that boat once you get it up to speed.
If powerstop makes a brake kit for that truck it will be a game changer. Approx $1000 for rotors and pads is well worth the upgrade!

Well, I went up to take a look at the boat yesterday...took a lot of measurements so I can figure out what I’m going to do, might do, or won’t do over the winter.

But I got really lucky and was able to scratch the most important mod off the list
:

View attachment 84488

Wow, a Rocna 15 off Craigslist for $ 200......it’s been in someone’s backyard for a few years...check out the shackle the guy used—-completely rusted, more appropriate for a 10 lb anchor

This one is a beast, a bit of overkill for the Commander 28, but the next size Rocna under that is under-kill so it was a good find
You’ll love that. I have the same Rocna 15 anchor on my Commander 30 with 200’ of chain. Sets within a few feet and stops the boat cold.
I only use a shackle to the anchor. No swivel.
Take care retrieving it. I motor up on top of it and get chain almost tight then let weight of boat pull it out.
Another trick is to mark your chain when anchor is just below water. Then you can idle forward and wash off before pulling fully up.

:

View attachment 84488

Want to trade a 10kg for it?

Yo, Rain City—-I’m going to be a scum-bag and take the 10 Kg Rocna off my Kodiak before I sell it and that’ll be the spare for the Commander.
I have a 6 year love affair going on with that 10 kg Rocna—-it was on my Arima for 2 years, on my Skagit Orca for 2 years, and my Kodiak for 2 years....it is hands down the best $$ I have ever invested in ANY piece of boating equipment. My daughter asked me this summer....why is that boat dragging anchor? (It was blowing gale at the time)

My response...they have a Bruce or a DElta. We have the Rocna.

Yo, Rain City—-I’m going to be a scum-bag and take the 10 Kg Rocna off my Kodiak before I sell it and that’ll be the spare for the Commander.
I have a 6 year love affair going on with that 10 kg Rocna—-it was on my Arima for 2 years, on my Skagit Orca for 2 years, and my Kodiak for 2 years....it is hands down the best $$ I have ever invested in ANY piece of boating equipment. My daughter asked me this summer....why is that boat dragging anchor? (It was blowing gale at the time)

My response...they have a Bruce or a DElta. We have the Rocna.
Please bronze it when you do decide to retire it. I love my Rocna as well. They're like me arguing with my wife. They just keep digging.

If powerstop makes a brake kit for that truck it will be a game changer. Approx $1000 for rotors and pads is well worth the upgrade!
I was told by the guy who tows those 28’s on a daily basis with his F350 from the manufacturer to the distributors that the 7.3L gasser tows it fine
My understanding is there’s not a big diff between the F250 7.3L and the F350 7.3L other then increased payload on the 1 ton and maybe stiffer leaf springs.....I’ll be towing it shortly on the Interstate....that’ll give me a pretty good idea how it feels.

I remember going to pick up the Kodiak (10,000 lbs) with my old Titan XD and when I got her home I remember thinking...Dude, wrong tool for the job...which explains why I’m now driving that F250—really glad I opted for the 7.3L—-after dragging the Kodiak to Port Hardy this summer I undertstand why they call that 7.3L ... “Godzilla”....it never skipped a beat on steep hills and I never got the feeling that 10 speed was overworking and going in and out of gears when it shouldn’t have been

I’ll look into that brake kit, though——that’s a good idea though I’m interested to see how the Karavan trailer performs with the EOH once the 28 is loaded and fitted

I was told by the guy who tows those 28’s on a daily basis with his F350 from the manufacturer to the distributors that the 7.3L gasser tows it fine
My understanding is there’s not a big diff between the F250 7.3L and the F350 7.3L other then increased payload on the 1 ton and maybe stiffer leaf springs.....I’ll be towing it shortly on the Interstate....that’ll give me a pretty good idea how it feels.

I remember going to pick up the Kodiak (10,000 lbs) with my old Titan XD and when I got her home I remember thinking...Dude, wrong tool for the job...which explains why I’m now driving that F250—really glad I opted for the 7.3L—-after dragging the Kodiak to Port Hardy this summer I undertstand why they call that 7.3L ... “Godzilla”....it never skipped a beat on steep hills and I never got the feeling that 10 speed was overworking and going in and out of gears when it shouldn’t have been

I’ll look into that brake kit, though——that’s a good idea though I’m interested to see how the Karavan trailer performs with the EOH once the 28 is loaded and fitted
C6110E4F-2F2E-4757-8443-C4915570619C.jpeg
14000# from Edmonton to CR on a Karavan. Had to set the bunks and axles to get the right balance but towed and the E/H disc brakes worked great.

Not wanting to hijack the thread with the boat. Thought the discussion was about the trailer. That Sea Sport is a nice unit for running up north and less hassle with permits. I think you will be happy with the Karavan.
The Pursuit won’t travel much on the trailer anymore as it’s use is mainly for dry storage.

Back