Nootka Report

I was there for 4 days and just got back.............slow to say the least.
I fished outside a little a had minimal success... the odd bright spring still coming through.....fished Birdwood a couple of mornings and only saw a few fish hooked each day out of about 40 boats....mostly small coho.
Not many boats fishing from the head down to the outside...
The head up at Moutcha Bay was full of fish but mostly black fish and the guys up there were mostly foul hooking them with buzz bombs.....
The general concencus from all the guides I talked to over there this year was that it was slower than normal....I guess the hatchery cutbacks years ago are starting to show...

actually Finaddict, I am not admitting ANY wrong-doing...did you not read and understand DFO's reply..what I did was completely legal, I just decided to donate to enhancement anyway....

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

quote:Originally posted by blindpig69

Way to go Tomic. I notice that of all those that were so quick to persecute you, not one has stepped up to the plate...So much for putting their money where their mouth is. GL to you.
Those of us who were quick to "persecute" were simply trying to get Tomic to understand the regulations. As I was not the one who contravened the regs, my conscience is clear.

BTW good on yah Tomic for checking, learning and admitting the wrong doing. Takes an honourable man to admit the mistake and make amends. Very impressed.:)

Cheers

Season ender for us. Hali still around & plentiful out at 270' off Tatchu pt. Inc a 77#. Top hali lure for us this year was Berkley glow 6" powergrubs w belly teasers on the trailing hook. Next best was B2 in glow. I use 50-65# spectra to minimize drag. I find hookup rate goies way down w backtroll as boat will crab slightly sideways.

Springs sparse in the surfline at Ferrer. What Richmake said was spot-on. Our best setup for Springs this year depended on light:

brigt days the green stripe UV Hotspot w purple haze UV head was best.

on grey low light days, red hotspot w truck glow head worked best, bloddy nose in glo was also good.

All Chovies fished 8' behind flasher w 30# fluro. Fun at the boat :)

tight lines, see you next year and great hospitality in Tahsis, thx Bernie and Bill. Safe winter to you and yours.

JD

Lots of good times this summer in Nootka sound but its now over for me after 7 weeks I’m back in Sooke and looking forward to doing some fishing of my own. The season was fairly slow compared to previous ones. I was told that bad feed at the hatchery 4 years ago played a major role in fish sizes and just a smaller percentage of fish making it through Alaskan waters. Halibut fishing was good to us. Here is a pic of a 25 lb tuna caught while salmon fishing 12 miles off shore it hit an anchovie being trolled in 25 feet of water the school could be seen skimming the surface.
LodgeLivin066.jpg

Also a pic of me catching a 21 lb spring on our day off with some other guides from the lodge. We refer to this as man over board style fishing. Lots of laughs and Good times!
mob2007.jpg

Thanks for the update guys. Looks like a halibut and... tuna? trip. Hey Mornin looks like fun but I still think I`ll bring the boat.:)

Spring fishing was still good at burdwood and escalante rocks for morning and tide changes. lots of big coho now on the inside waters. For a productive day head out to the highway near the explosives dump. september is the best for flat water offshore. no reports of chum yet but there coming. with the amount of springs still travelling the highway fishing should be good down island right though september.:)

quote:Originally posted by tomictime

actually Finaddict, I am not admitting ANY wrong-doing...did you not read and understand DFO's reply..what I did was completely legal, I just decided to donate to enhancement anyway....
TT, The 'ruling' you got from DFO did not address the question. It is correct that you are able to give your salmon away to anyone you want. What you are not addressing is that those salmon that you give to others as gifts count on your possession limit and that possession limit is for all fish caught until YOU return to your normal place of residence. That possession limit is double your daily catch and the fish that you gave away count on your license. Here is a hypothetical scenario that runs pretty close to what you did.

Day one - Fishing is really good and you catch your limit of two springs - count them on your license and return to camp happy

Day two - Fishing is still really good and two more springs are taken and counted on your license. That evening you meet up with your Canadian friends and give away the two that you caught today

Day three - you go and nail two more and record them on your license.

Day four - you are on your way home and a Canadian fisheries officer stops and wants to see you license and your catch. You show only four fish in the cooler but show 6 fish on your license. You claim that these fish were given away to a friend. Fisheries officer lets you know that it doesn't matter what you did with those fish, they count on your license and in your possession and you have over harvested. You get fined. The fisheries officer fines you based on having 6 fish on your license in a three day period without returning to your normal residence.

Its great that you have donated to salmon enhancement, but your 'ruling' by DFO did not address the issue in question which is the harvest of more than a two day possession without returning to YOUR permanent place of residence. Those fish are counted on YOUR license.

Having said that, thanks for coming into our country, spending your money and sportfishing. In my view that is what they are there for. I would also like to say thank you for being conscientious enough to look for the ruling, and for caring about our fisheries. I wish that many of my own country men were as conscientious about the fishery as you are.

Cheers[8D]

He finally figuerd it out. Defanitly some good laughs out of that prank. I think he will stop asking us what we caught em on now.:D

Good times![8D]

Way to go boy's love the sh$t awesome pic.... I will challenge you some day on the bigger fish on the line in the water....

SWC, I just got back from Nootka. Fishing was slow and the water on the outside was rough due to N/W winds. Did not find any springs heard of a few around Discovery and Burwood. Coho we found were all native, fishing between the light house and Burwood in front of Bligh between 35 and 50ft. 12mi out we picked up 3 hali all to about 25lbs lost one at the boat about 40?. Hooked about 5 giant (humbolt) squid, they were everywhere. The first one we hooked we thought for sure it was a big spring, it ran then just sounded then took more line, until we got it to about 30ft behind the boat and saw this big brown blob. Got it up to the boat to release it and it sprayed my buddy, he came up all wet good for a laugh:D. Talked to some guys on the ferry back that did ok out of Bamfield. FYI Critter still has fuel they are open from 10-6. Good luck.

If you contact DFO and give them your exact situation, they will give you their interpretation of the rules. I suggest you do that! But, YOU do Not have to return to your permanent residence... only your fish! And you can not continue to fish until the fish have been confirmed to be at your permanent residence. Hence, for example you can fly fish out and continue to fish after they have arrived at your residence. Also, I disagree with the fish in your possession statement. The card can not exceed your annual limit. That has nothing to do with possession limits. If you give fish away (which can be done) has nothing to do with fish in your possession, only your total annual limit, which can not be exceeded!

Just my two cents, but I have this in writing from DFO.

I have done that in the past!

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

so charlie, do you do that? Do you come and fish, get your limit, ship it home and go get another limit?

Back