Nootka Report

Sorry so late Salty Dog been busy. Just head out from the lighthouse until you get into the sandy bottom (check your charts) and start jigging. We just drift using 8 inch power bait grubs with horse herring. Doesn't have to be deep either. We have caught them in as little as 120 ft of water out there. Seems to work for us.

As for the limit discussion. I can't even imagine not being able to finish off 4 springs and the occasional coho that we bring back from Nootka in a year. One 20-25 lb king gives me roughly 8 meals. My math tells me that with eating salmon once per week (conservative),I'm out a little more than half way through the year:(. Course I make up for that using nootka row on the local silvers in the rivers.

We also made an extra trip for halis last year and with two trips limits (6 fish) I ran out prior to leaving for this years trip. I guess if you have your other half or your kids with you then that might be a different story but I think the possession limits in place are fair and reasonable as long as you follow them.

here is the whole para:

"Fish caught by a sportfisher that is being prepared, cooked, or consumed away from the sportfisher’s ordinary residence ( i.e. while staying at a camp ground, overnighting on a boat, residing at a hotel, etc.) is included as part of the fisher’s possession limit. The amount of fish a person is preparing to
consume cannot exceed the possession limit. The head and tail of all finfish and the carapace (shell) of any crab caught must be retained until the fish has been consumed."....

Quick call to the DFO will clear this up. IF I am in the wrong, I will donate the fine to Salmon Enhancement at Tahsis. E-mail to them has been sent.

You are right, too much bravado in my post, from now on I will just post lures and depths that work.

BTW, get off the canadians are persecuted in the US bender, we have trouble enough with our own.

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

quote:Originally posted by tomictime

wow, your right, the 50+ year old couple struggling to raise twins with a dead mother should not have a few fish rained on them. But then I guess the local grocery has everything they need. Local for them is 3 hours to C-River.
that's great that you were willing to share your catch Tomictime. but what you fail to understand is that this does not allow you to kill more fish than your limit which is twice the daily limit. read the regs.

quote:as to the other trip, you can read into it what you want. A total of 9 people all w BC liscs were on the boat or the buddy boat at various points in those 5 days. Followed all the rules.

Watch my rig like a hawk, I am legal - always.
Actually you are not.

quote:Originally posted by tomictime
BTW, get off the canadians are persecuted in the US bender, we have trouble enough with our own.
Fair comment TT. Actually I wouldn't know too much about the persecution in the states. I rarely go there. (Fishin' usually better up here);)

I apologize for turning this into a bigger issue than it should have been. I just wanted to let you know that that the rules were not being properly followed.
Cheers and good fishing. beers all around[8D]

Was there this past weekend. Ended up takin home 4. All but 3 were boots tho. catchin them on plugs in moutcha bay or however u spell it. No clue on anywhere else except I know they're still doin well outside.

any new reports from nootka would be great. i am heading out from the 26th to the 30th. never been there so i am pretty excited. i'll give a full report when i get back but i guess the season will be winding down then. any suggestions for general areas to fish in late august. thanks

Fished Kyoqout last weekend, limited out on springs biggest 44 lbs, halis to 35, and two 20 lb lings. We were 10 miles out, also heard reports of a few albacore being caught.

Salty,
My understanding is that at the end of Aug, you need to go offshore for fresh fish, or right up the inlet for big dark ones.

Last weekend I fished and fished and fished. Brined cutplug, anchovies, spoons of all makes and models, hootchies, .........nothing for two days except mackeral and a few jacks!

Lighthouse, burdwood etc. Very few fish on the board at critter cove.

My first time in Nootka was not productive. Great people and beautifull setting however.

Burdwood should be better late in the season, particularly for large coho. Try Bajo gap also, should get in to bright fish.

Hey SaltyDog,

I am headed up there the same time as you. I will see you up there. It is my first time to Nootka also. I am in a 25 foot Maxum named Tomahak.

Good luck

thanks for some of the reports. Weather permitting i will be heading to the bajo area, i dont think i'll get out to the highway though. if i manage to bag some fresh fish i'll relax in the inlet or even the bay. hey norsktroller i will in a 20 foot north river with a yammy on the back, i'm staying at critter cove, just yell my name "Ben" ... or anyone else for that matter preferrably those with lots of nootka experience[8D]
my only problem is that i'm fishing with two complete newb fisherman and i'm a newb to nootka so it should be interesting.
wish me luck and keep those reports coming.
thanks.

quote:Originally posted by saltydog

thanks for some of the reports. Weather permitting i will be heading to the bajo area, i dont think i'll get out to the highway though. if i manage to bag some fresh fish i'll relax in the inlet or even the bay. hey norsktroller i will in a 20 foot north river with a yammy on the back, i'm staying at critter cove, just yell my name "Ben" ... or anyone else for that matter preferrably those with lots of nootka experience[8D]
my only problem is that i'm fishing with two complete newb fisherman and i'm a newb to nootka so it should be interesting.
wish me luck and keep those reports coming.
thanks.
Good luck Salty, tell Cam and Catherine Darrel and Sandy say hi. Hit Bajo first thing AM in the 20 footer. We run a 21' and the swells usually pick up around noon and it can get pretty hairy. I had good luck at 50' at Bajo with anchovy two weeks ago. Hit the red can, just troll north to south just outsided of it, just look for the other boats. Watch the kelp to the inside of the red can.

D

I checked with DFO area 25, here is the REAL answer:

BTW will donate $100 to the enhancement group helped by the Westview derby, any of the legal eagles care to match??????

-----Original Message-----
From: Madore, Michelle [mailto:MadoreM@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 11:00 AM
To:
Cc: XPAC Ops Centre Fishery Pacific
Subject: RE: ? About Retention

Dear James,

With you Tidal waters sport fishing licence you may catch total of 4
salmon per day. Have in your possession 8. Catch 30 per year. There
is no law stating you can not "gift" salmon to a friend. Just remember
that you must adhere to our regulations

Sent: August 23, 2007 11:42 AM
To: XPAC FM RHQ LIC
Subject: FW: ? About Retention

Hello
Could you help out with this?
Shelley

Sent: August 23, 2007 10:05 AM
To: XPAC Ops Centre Fishery Pacific
Subject: ? About Retention

I will be fishing Area 25 and 125
Can you ask if it is OK to give fish to Canadian resident. Do those
fish
count towards posession limit? The can residents have appropriate
licenses and would receive fish at place of permanent residence. Fish
would be salmon and or halibut. Daily limits apply of course.

I checked with DFO area 25, here is the REAL answer:

BTW will donate $100 to the enhancement group helped by the Westview derby, any of the legal eagles care to match??????

From: Madore, Michelle [mailto:MadoreM@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 11:00 AM
To:
Cc: XPAC Ops Centre Fishery Pacific
Subject: RE: ? About Retention

Dear James,

With you Tidal waters sport fishing licence you may catch total of 4
salmon per day. Have in your possession 8. Catch 30 per year. There
is no law stating you can not "gift" salmon to a friend. Just remember
that you must adhere to our regulations

Sent: August 23, 2007 11:42 AM
To: XPAC FM RHQ LIC
Subject: FW: ? About Retention

Hello
Could you help out with this?
Shelley

Sent: August 23, 2007 10:05 AM
To: XPAC Ops Centre Fishery Pacific
Subject: ? About Retention

I will be fishing Area 25 and 125
Can you ask if it is OK to give fish to Canadian resident. Do those
fish
count towards posession limit? The can residents have appropriate
licenses and would receive fish at place of permanent residence. Fish
would be salmon and or halibut. Daily limits apply of course.

Way to go Tomic. I notice that of all those that were so quick to persecute you, not one has stepped up to the plate...So much for putting their money where their mouth is. GL to you.

quote:Originally posted by blindpig69

Way to go Tomic. I notice that of all those that were so quick to persecute you, not one has stepped up to the plate...So much for putting their money where their mouth is. GL to you.
Those of us who were quick to "persecute" were simply trying to get Tomic to understand the regulations. As I was not the one who contravened the regs, my conscience is clear.

BTW good on yah Tomic for checking, learning and admitting the wrong doing. Takes an honourable man to admit the mistake and make amends. Very impressed.:)

Cheers

Any recent reports from Nootka? I`ll be heading up 9/6. Should be some nice coho and chinook still on the outside I would think. I`ll report when I return. Thanks

Back