Nootka Report

quote:and how many over a 100lbs have you released Barbender?
My biggest release was a fish weighing 260lbs (estimated). I say estimated because of the measurements taken by the guide prior to me cutting her free. As for bragging rights it would have been the biggest fish the lodge had registered that year. However why kill a 200lb plus fish when we were catching lots of them in the 30-40lb range. I caught it in Alaska at Shelter Cove Lodge in Craig, Alaska. Was personally tanked by the owner for relasing it. I can put my money where my mouth is.

Anyone taken the road to Tahsis lately? We are heading up and trying to decide whether to run from Gold River or trailer up to Tahsis. That road can get less than nice. Thanks!

Go from Gold River and go in the morning. Most any boat ride is better than the road to cougar creek or to Tahsis. Save the boat and your suspension and enjoy the ride.

quote:Go from Gold River and go in the morning. Most any boat ride is better than the road to cougar creek or to Tahsis. Save the boat and your suspension and enjoy the ride.

X2!

Great report... great pics... too bad about the broken camera!

Just back from Nootka we were out for 4 days.Best trip we've had yet.Number of springs 15-28 lbs and the bottom fishing was unreal.I finally found a great snapper hole.You could get your limit in about an hour and all nice size including some monster lings (pics to follow)

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0329-1.jpg

IMG_0324-1.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Thx for the pics beak,,, just trying to drive me nuts ahhh boy :) :) :) That one on Matty's right hand must be pushin 30# no ??
Don't worry about tips up comment you know how it go's,, people have to resort to ignorance when their jealousy gets the best of them... They have to find some excuse to make them selves feel better.

We leave for Critter in five days. Spring action on the inside?? Nice fish in the pic, I'd guess from left to right: 28lb, 31lb and 25lbs. Looks like flat water for you too.

Hell All

I'm headed to Nootka for the first time in a few years this weekend. Just wonderin about the limits for springs. Last I knew you could only keep 2 big ones. Also wonderin if there are any decent places on the inside to catch a few snapper or lings

Cheers

ok well I take it back Barbended - nice on ya for releasing such a monster fish - most men wouldn't be able to do that.

Also forgot to mention we ran into some other forum members out there Mornin Chubbyand Saltwater Cowboynice chattin with ya be sure to see you again next year.:D Have some other great pics and vid i'll try and post.

quote:eek:k well I take it back Barbended - nice on ya for releasing such a monster fish - most men wouldn't be able to do that.
No worries. Nothing to take back really. For me it is just a personal choice. Killing really big Halibut is just not something that makes me feel good. They are the future of halibut sportfishing. Why killl something that magnificent if it doesn't even taste good or is even healthy to eat. I am all for catching them and taking pictures. But kiling them...no thanks. Anyway I will get off my soap box now.

Back