Nootka Info

One time I hit the Tahsis road after a period of rain. We drove an obstacle course of rocks the size of cars which were too big for the track hoes that were rebuilding the roadbed from the land slides.

Funny part, "Highways" had put orange cones on the tops of the boulders, apparenty so you would see there was an obstruction on the road. I would have thought an 8 foot high boulder was evident enough.

That is the fun of driving to Tahsis. It's only gas you are burning. Getting trailer parts out of Nanaimo costs alot more.

Drewski

My boat is a 24 foot Wellcraft with a pod so 27 feet long, and with a full load of fuel she is very heavy. It was scary, and as I said I would never do it again. We had to put the truck into 4 low to avoid burning out the brakes going down the 18% grade...and when the sign says 18% it is! Best bet is to run around from Gold River unless you really need your truck and camper. If you do, then allow lots of extra time, and have her in 4 wheel low at the top of the hill so you don't ride your brakes. Sorry for delay in responding.

Other thing to watch is if the road hasn't been graded the pot holes can be hard on your boat trailer.

Hi Searun
How big of a boat did you take to Thasis, and how long ago was it?
We're going up in early July for 5 days. Just wondering about the road. I've heard that its not that bad. And then I heard people say that they would rather go via water from Gold River.
Thanks for any info.

I second the other opinions about the road being manageable , I have an 18ft with built in 35 IMP gallon tank , I did not have any problems , but then I wasn't pulling anything over 20ft either , as for the parking fee in Gold River , was that in town or at the Indian Reserve parking site ?
Last time I parked there cost me $10 per day , for what its worth ..........

AL

Well, I know of a lot of people who have trailered into Tahsis, including a guy with an eye patch and a 36-ft Donzi who made it in safely ... we're with ya, Concerned Angler!! It gets ugly in the summer, with more traffic. The worst part of the road are the first 30km where Gold is responsible for upkeep, but again supporting the Concerned Angler, use common sense. For a reasonable-sized boat, it's fine ... if a girl can do it ... [:p]

Back