Nootka Info

juandesooka

Hi All

Calling all Nootka Sound experts! I am looking for info on a Nootka adventure proposed for this summer. I've been looking around a bit on this site and on the web, and found some info, but I still have some questions and I hope that some of you with experience in this area can provide some answers.

The trip will probably be 4 or 5 days. Originally I was thinking of a roughing it camping trip with the boys. Now that I know of these boat-in lodges, I'm also considering a more family oriented trip with my wife and daughters. Or maybe do both!

The trip will be a dual fishing/surfing trip, surfing if there are waves to be had, but fishing for sure.

Questions:

Lodges: I'd be looking for a boat-in place offering moorage and a room. I've seen recommendations for Critter Cove and Hoiss Point. Others recommended? Any ballpark on what kinds of prices I might expect? Are any of these more "family oriented", maybe with things to do on land too for my 7 and 9 year old daughters who might not be keen on 12 hour fishing trips?

Camping: sounds like there is drive-in camping at Cougar Creek and Tuta. Recommendations on either or others? I guess another option is the little cabins at Friendly Cove, where I stayed for a night 2 years ago and found pretty decent. Alternatively, we could put down an anchor somewhere and do our own thing, although a complication is where to store all those tyees for the next day's fishing (half joking, not trying to anger the fish gods, but it is a logistical problem for a multiday camping trip).

Gas: available at Critter Cove I understand, elsewhere too?

Boat Ramp: sounds like the best options are to put the boat in at Gold River and motor to where you're staying or to take the road to Cougar/Tuta, to have the truck where you're camping. Just how bad is the road down there? I hear mixed reviews, from it's a nightmare to no problem. I have a 18' boat with a trailer without brakes. Should I be concerned? Do-able or best avoided?

Boating weather: is it reasonable to pursue outside boating in an 18' Campion, assuming a good day with decent weather? On a decent day how long a run is it from Friendly Cove to Bajo Reef?

Fishing potential: that seems to be covered well in prior threads, tons of great info in fact, thanks to all who have contributed.

Any and all info most appreciated!

John

Well, lottsa questions. I'll throw in my two bits worth based on my experiences.

Chinootka lodge is also an option but as it's a floating lodge would not provide your kids with much room to run around.

As far as I know Critter Cove has the only gas in that area.

Trailering in an 18' boat will be now problem. Road conditions vary throughout the year depending on how much traffic and how recently things have been graded but you will have no problem in getting to Cougar or Tuta.

Getting out to Bajo in an 18' is also not usually a problem depending on weather but get out early as it almost always gets rougher towards noon.
Thats all I can add right now.
Good luck and maybe we'll see you up there.

There is gas at Critter Cove. Also at Friendly Cove during the summer. Other options are Esperanza and Tahsis and Zeballos.

Be aware that the only gas in Gold River is 13 KM from the water - a good place to top up the boat on your way in before you launch.

Also, there is Nootka Island Lodge that is just a mile or so from Friendly Cove. They can provide rooms, meals, and moorage that is closer to the outside fishing grounds.

Lots of choices.

Hey juandesooka:
I was surprised to hear that you do not have brakes on the trailer. When I bought my 542, I assumed they were pretty much standard and required.

If you have never driven into Cougar Creek, then I would recommend that you take a drive and make the determination yourself without a boat. Without trailer brakes, even part of the drive to Gold River along Campbell Lake is going to put a strain on your vehicle. The are some pretty steep hills on the Tahsis road before you get to the Cougar Creek turnoff. Hard on the engine going up and hard on the brakes on the way down. The Critter Cove website advises against driving in for good reason. Aside from the pounding and hills there is also the dust that will get all over and in your new ride. The boys in the logging crummies have no compassion for a guy crawling along taking his time.

I drove in once with a smaller boat and would never think of driving in with my 542. If you do it I hope you at least have a full-size pickup with good brakes. A far better solution would be to drop the boat in Gold River and then if you need a vehicle have the wife drive it in.

The Gold River Launch is good unless there is a really low tide. The Inlet is best run before 10:00 am earlier the better. After that the inflow wind sets up. Coming home the last hour of daylight is usually doable as well. You can run in better with the following sea through the day but it will be bumpy and wet. Watch out for logs and deadheads.

Tahsis may also be a possibility for your requirements with family as there is more to do there on land.

Have been going up to Nootka for about 10 years now. The last 8 at Critter Cove. The rates are good and the facilities are more than you would expect at a self serve lodge. Save yourself the grief and put in at Gold River, but not on a low tide. The run is only about an hour with a full load depending on the boat. Go in the morning before the wind blows up. The cost for a 3 night stay with moorage is about $650. Availibility could be an issue, but with the dollar the way it is you might get lucky. Check the web site and let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

Cheers,

I have done the Nootka many times. I drive in with a 29' motorhome pulling a 22' boat. It has always been driveable with my combo unit. However, I am returning this year but bringing a new boat and will be splashing at Gold River and running the boat while the motorhome will be driven by partners.

I cannot recommend Tuta. However I can easily recommend Cougar Creek for a couple of reasons. It is shore based and allows for lots of space to roam for the family. Cougar Creek is there for NON-potable water and Critter Cove is very close for potable water. Critter Cove is very close for fuel and supplies. It also has showers and, even though my motorhome has a shower, I usually take my loonies over every second day for an extended clean-up. Meals are also available there when the need for a change occurs.

On a GOOD day fishing outside can be done. However I would recommend that you make friends at the campground and arrange to travel with another boat (very easily done!) so that if problems occur help is readily at hand.

What I enjoy about Cougar Creek, other than it is very friendly and it is right on some of the best fishing. I have limited out and been back at camp in under 45 minutes from morning departure. The one drawback of Cougar Creek is that there is a shortage of docking space. Be prepared to raft on the dock so bring lots of bumpers and ensure you lock your valuables up.

If you have more questions...ask.

Fishing Guide
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

You may be hard pressed to find many choices of accommodation as most lodges book up very early so my recommendation is to get on it asap.

Bajo is a 20 minute run from Washer Rock (open ocean) and not suitable for a small boat unless the weather is good, so check the conditions before you head around the corner. If you get a stable weather pattern and low winds I would have no worries with an 18 foot boat - just watch the conditions carefully.

Camping is a little tight at both locations. If you do camp out make sure you take everything off your boat and lock it up. Lots of theft issues - especially down riggers.

Hey Holmes: Were you chefin' last year? Have never had a bad meal there. Forgot to mention to Juandesuka that there are always half a dozen kids roamin around at Critter, more kid friendly than Couger Creek and the dock fishing can be steller. Add to that some ice cream and it should be a no brainer.

Critter all the way.... I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else... unless of course you require an RV to stay in then you'd have to look elsewhere, but for just a boat or boat/cabin, Critter is the place to be. Great Staff and facilities!! And well you gotta try Cams Critter Burger!!! They come highly recommended! ;)

i agree there is great fishing and other things to do out of tahsis.

I've camped at most of the places in the Nootka area...Tuta is central but rough, Cougar is central also but busy and hard to get into sometimes, and Moucha Bay is the farthest away from the open ocean (although by later August the fish are almost right at your door). The common factor is that there is not a lot of land-based activites for the kids...no nearby hiking, biking or fresh water lakes, so you would have to be creative to keep them entertained on shore. Hiking, biking and lakes are around but you would have to boat or drive to get to them. You would have to be pretty much self-sufficient at all the campsites as most have no grocery, gas or other shopping faciltities.

Critter Cove has all the amenities and is close to much of the summertime fishing action within the Sound...mote things for kids to do on the docks etc too.. may be your best option but don't delay for long as it gets reserved early in the season.

Bajo is an early morning activity - as noted by others it does get rough once the wind (westerly in summer) starts to blow - best to go with other boats. Another option is to hire a guide for a few hours - they can show you other places which are also good for hali's etc but don't require the long run out and won't get your guests seasick [xx(].

Good luck!

I'll third that! Critter Cove is the best. Every year we try to go in
June,July and Aug and if all is good try to squeek on more trip in for the middle of Sept. Real friendly staff and a great bunch of guys usually up there.Watch the weather,be flexible in your fishing locations and it a good time to be had by all!! Just remember "Book Early" they fill up fast.;)

I'm in...booked 3 nights in early July at Critter Cove. From what people have said, that seems the best bet, especially for first time fishing Nootka. We can camp and rough it next trip, for this one it'll be the easy life... ;)

Planning to put in at Gold River, motor around...leave the logging road for another trip (someone else's boat and trailer first maybe?).

So stoked! Thanks to all who replied. Good luck out there.

John

Great plan, I once dragged my boat into Tahsis and would never again do that nightmare again with a big boat...the logging road has 18% grades - very scary!

Critter Cove is the best by far, and the food is seriously great. I rent a floating cabin every year but we like to eat at Critter Cove because the food is great and reasonably priced. You can get just about anything you need including tackle, bait and gas.

Hi Searun
How big of a boat did you take to Thasis, and how long ago was it?
We're going up in early July for 5 days. Just wondering about the road. I've heard that its not that bad. And then I heard people say that they would rather go via water from Gold River.
Thanks for any info.

Anything I have ever heard says avoid it at all costs... unless you maybe have a small aluminum boat??? Never been down myself but this is what I heard.

quote:Originally posted by Blacksheep

Hi Searun
How big of a boat did you take to Thasis, and how long ago was it?
We're going up in early July for 5 days. Just wondering about the road. I've heard that its not that bad. And then I heard people say that they would rather go via water from Gold River.
Thanks for any info.

I have driven the road to Thasis several times and twice with a large boat! My boat is far better off going by water and so is yours! It's not worth the wear & tear on your brakes and equipment, let alone the dust and dirt that has to be cleaned up after the drive. But, if you do drive there is a wash station right as you enter the town to wash all the dust/dirt off. Again, my boat goes by water! :)

Charlie

juandsooka, I just have to throw in my two cents..we launched at Gold River and I am thankful. The girls drove the truck up to Tahsis and when they picked us up the truck was covered in a light gray silt that reminded me of when Mt St Helen's erupted. On the way back the girls saw three trailers with boats sitting in various spots on the road. No tow vehicles were hooked to any of them.. So, if you don't mind spending two to three hours to clean your gear and the possibility of having to leave your boat alongside the road you can make the drive. For me it was worth the 45 min to get to Tahsis via Gold River by water. I left my trailer in the fenced area at Gold River for about $5 buck a day and when we go there the trailer was still there and I still had my wheels and tires, even the spare...Just my opinion.

Back