new to nootka

D

dragonballs

Just curious as to how the weather has been outside. July 20-27th is going to be our first trip to nootka. How big of a boat do you recommend to fish the highway...

I don't think the size of the boat is the issue, as long as you use your head and watch the weather... Having said that, if you are in like a 15footer I wouldnt head out cuz it can get nasty quick. But anything in around 20 and up your good.

It is all weather dependent no matter what size you have but I have seen 16 footers out there. I run a 18.5 foot Campion Explorer and find I have to pick my weather, I think 21 foot + would be best.

We run a 21' Customweld up there and fish outside part of the time. We got in swells up to 5', nothing real big, but at 5-6' swells I head back in, tough to fish that anyway. My uncle runs his 18' Tiderunner out there with us, but it's important to have at least one partner boat when running out, no matter how big a boat, you never know what can happen.

thanks for the info Iam running a 22 ft deep vee weldcraft with a chartplotter (no radar) if the weather is decent we will try to hook up with another boat going out to the highway. slow and steady seems to win the race.... thanks again and keep the info coming. I am impressed with everyone's willingness to help. I will take a laptop to tahsis and hopefully send some pics and info during my trip.

db, my rig is at the end of the dock at Westview, you can hail me on 16 "Something Catchy"

You should be fine but watch the weather, we usually head out first thing4-5am then try and head back in by 9-10. You will see the fog comming!!!!! Thats why they call it fogust by august.good luck:D

We'll be up Aug7-13, stop by Critter say hello if anyone else will be up then. We run a 24' new Grady, 21' Custom Weld and 18' Tiderunner.

D

tomictime we too will be staying at the marina. we should get in late afternoon on the 21st. plan on putting in at gold river and fishing our way up. I will give you a shout on 16. dragonballs

Back