New Boat on Order!

SaintSix

I have my order in for a new 18ft Silver Streak Carmanah hardtop with a 115 yami, delivery is expected in March. My last boat was a 190 hewescraft Searunner hardtop. from that boat I kept my trap puller and crab and prawn traps and my Hali Anchor. On the Black Friday sales I bought a Lowrance hds live 12' and a TM185m Airmar transducer. For those who have a silver streak with a 115, what prop did you go with?

I still need to buy a VHF radio and antenna. I'm looking for advice on what everyone has and if they would recommend or steer clear from anything? Also if there's any Installers that are recommended on the island?

I have my order in for a new 18ft Silver Streak Carmanah hardtop with a 115 yami, delivery is expected in March. My last boat was a 190 hewescraft Searunner hardtop. from that boat I kept my trap puller and crab and prawn traps and my Hali Anchor. On the Black Friday sales I bought a Lowrance hds live 12' and a TM185m Airmar transducer. For those who have a silver streak with a 115, what prop did you go with?

I still need to buy a VHF radio and antenna. I'm looking for advice on what everyone has and if they would recommend or steer clear from anything? Also if there's any Installers that are recommended on the island?

I didn’t change mine I’m using the prop that came with the motor. Did you get the hydraulic steering? I originally had the cable that was standard and switched to the hydraulic, I would recommend you do they have a high end hydraulic steering package. On the cable system they use, the cable lays on the pod and stuff could get caught on it. Just a suggestion.

Get suspension seats - your back will thank you! Also dual batteries with ACR switch and fuel filter with clear inspection bowl. Can't go wrong with Standard Horizon or ICOM DSC VHF radios. If you want to smooth out the ride install some trim tabs - again your back with thank you.

Changed the stock 17” prop to a stainless 17” Turning Point . Not happy with the rpm’s. Tried a 15” Aluminum T.P. but burned a little more fuel at cruise so had the SS repitched to 16”. Happy now. Added a Blue Seas ACR, onboard charger for home. Sonic Hub,fan,usb chargers. Extra bilge pump and on and on. Harbour Chandler are good to deal with. Have Fun!

Congrats on your new build!
I received my 18ft Race Rocks at the end of October and love it. I went with a fairly plain build and only added the 115hp Yamaha, suspension pedestals, dual batteries, dual wipers, Raymarine plotter, swing tongue trailer, rod holders, and drop curtain.
Keep us updated.

Get suspension seats - your back will thank you! Also dual batteries with ACR switch and fuel filter with clear inspection bowl. Can't go wrong with Standard Horizon or ICOM DSC VHF radios. If you want to smooth out the ride install some trim tabs - again your back with thank you.
They come with suspension seats on the Carmanah.

I didn’t change mine I’m using the prop that came with the motor. Did you get the hydraulic steering? I originally had the cable that was standard and switched to the hydraulic, I would recommend you do they have a high end hydraulic steering package. On the cable system they use, the cable lays on the pod and stuff could get caught on it. Just a suggestion.
Yes not only did i get the hydraulic steering upgrade i also got the second station so ill have a corner transom wheel, i fish a lot by myself so its nice to play a fish and steer without having to dip your rod tip down to go under the hardtop

Changed the stock 17” prop to a stainless 17” Turning Point . Not happy with the rpm’s. Tried a 15” Aluminum T.P. but burned a little more fuel at cruise so had the SS repitched to 16”. Happy now. Added a Blue Seas ACR, onboard charger for home. Sonic Hub,fan,usb chargers. Extra bilge pump and on and on. Harbour Chandler are good to deal with. Have Fun!
I was following your post about propellers thats what originally got me thinking about it. now i'm just trying to pool information before the time comes.

Option I added were rod holders, net holder, welded steps, compass, dual battery /w 4way switch, auto bilge, hydraulic steering with a second station, dome light, passenger wiper, drop curtain, scotty plugins, 1 usb and 12 volt come with it stock, same as suspension seats. The trailer I added horizontal guides, led lights, disc brakes and a spare tire. I went with the Highliner, did any of you guys? How do you like it?

Things that might get added in the future is a kicker tied to main and a washdown and id like to install a heater with vents for the window. I had trim tabs on my Hewescraft but found I rarely used them (maybe inexperienced on when I should have?)

I got the highlander with the disc brakes. Its a good trailer had a bit of trouble with the lights the indicator lights aren’t a sealed unit and the individual lights are hard to change. I also found that I didn’t use the drop curtain much. I wouldn’t get it again I also got a slope cover for the rain, I wish I spent the drop curtain money on that instead.

Last edited:
I had both on my Hewescraft. I found i only used my slope back when I was putting the boat away for a month plus. mainly to help keep water/leaves out while I was away. Hewes have the vinyl covered wood floors and I didn't want it soaking up a lot of water. Now with the Silver Streak having all welded aluminum floors I didn't bother with the slope. But the drop curtain I always used when fishing, it was great at keeping the wind out and heat in. In the summer I usually kept the centered rolled up but sides down. Its interesting to hear you prefer the other way around. I'm happy to hear you like the trailer. do you have the upgrade led lights? Or was it the stock lights that were giving you the trouble?

I had both on my Hewescraft. I found i only used my slope back when I was putting the boat away for a month plus. mainly to help keep water/leaves out while I was away. Hewes have the vinyl covered wood floors and I didn't want it soaking up a lot of water. Now with the Silver Streak having all welded aluminum floors I didn't bother with the slope. But the drop curtain I always used when fishing, it was great at keeping the wind out and heat in. In the summer I usually kept the centered rolled up but sides down. Its interesting to hear you prefer the other way around. I'm happy to hear you like the trailer. do you have the upgrade led lights? Or was it the stock lights that were giving you the trouble?
I have the stock lights the way the light unit is designed the water gets in, it’s a poor design in my opinion. With the hardtop and the slope back which cost me a thousand bucks the other seems redundant to me at least . The curtain does keep the warmth in I guess but I found it restricts moving around in a boat of that size.

I have been out on my Race Rocks 5 times since November and I love the drop curtain. Keeps the cab nice and warm on the chilly days and offers great visibility.
I got the Roadrunner trailer with led lights and swing tongue. No complaints so far.

Option I added were rod holders, net holder, welded steps, compass, dual battery /w 4way switch, auto bilge, hydraulic steering with a second station, dome light, passenger wiper, drop curtain, scotty plugins, 1 usb and 12 volt come with it stock, same as suspension seats. The trailer I added horizontal guides, led lights, disc brakes and a spare tire. I went with the Highliner, did any of you guys? How do you like it?

Things that might get added in the future is a kicker tied to main and a washdown and id like to install a heater with vents for the window. I had trim tabs on my Hewescraft but found I rarely used them (maybe inexperienced on when I should have?)

I would really recommend the wash down if you do decide on getting it, make sure you insist they shield the lever I had to go back and have them install one. Where they install it is back where you would stand when setting your downriggers and I kept stepping on it and bending it.

I would really recommend the wash down if you do decide on getting it, make sure you insist they shield the lever I had to go back and have them install one. Where they install it is back where you would stand when setting your downriggers and I kept stepping on it and bending it.
I was debating on that option, would you mind uploading a picture where they put it? or i can send my cell and you could text or email if thats easier?

This is the same advice I gave to Kinetic that I think has value;

I have the same hull and I'm looking to add trim tabs mostly to level the hull during running with three people, but also improve performance and ride.
I had an 18' k&c where trim tabs improved the ride tremendously.
The reason I'm telling you this is in hindsight I would have had extra brackets welded on to the transom ( under the motor bracket) on each side, so installing trim tabs down the road would be an easy bolt on installation where you would not need to drill into the transom.

PM me if you have any questions!

This is the same advice I gave to Kinetic that I think has value;

I have the same hull and I'm looking to add trim tabs mostly to level the hull during running with three people, but also improve performance and ride.
I had an 18' k&c where trim tabs improved the ride tremendously.
The reason I'm telling you this is in hindsight I would have had extra brackets welded on to the transom ( under the motor bracket) on each side, so installing trim tabs down the road would be an easy bolt on installation where you would not need to drill into the transom.

PM me if you have any questions!

This is what my builder did for my trim tabs. Its what I think you are talking about and makes for a clean installation and having tapped holes for the tab that are in the mount and not the transom.

Attachments

• pic224.jpg
    pic224.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 120
  • pic67.jpg
    pic67.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 122
  • pic69.jpg
    pic69.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I'll have to look into it and see, if I were to add them it would be down the road but adding brackets now probably wouldn't be to hard to expensive

This is what my builder did for my trim tabs. Its what I think you are talking about and makes for a clean installation and having tapped holes for the tab that are in the mount and not the transom.
That is exactly what I am suggesting.

During the building process it would be cheap and easy to have installed. It doesn't hurt to ask the vendor if this is do-able.
When I ordered my boat I didn't want the Cobra brand VHF radio offered because I wanted a VHF radio with GPS and DSC.
I bought my preferred radio and asked my vendor if the factory could cut out a hole in the dash panel to accommodate my radio if I sent them the template? This request was kindly fulfilled by the factory and saved me having to mount my radio on a bracket.

Back