Thinking about selling my boat...

bcbassfishing

Still pondering it over but thinking about selling my boat. I know most of you will figured I"ve suffered a brain injury or somthing but it just doesn't get used enough right now.... Need some opinions if I should concider or not. Prices seem all over the map but none are actually built like this one either
Hewescraft 18 ft sportsman with pod and rear dance floor reworked for storage and fishing space.
NEW Yamaha 115 maybe 20 hours on it now.
Tandem axle trailer
NEW scotty 1106's
Humminbird Helix 7
Garmin Echo maps 7
Garman Striker 5
Probax seats
8Hp Yamaha kicker with power tilt and pro troll system
Hydro steering
VHF radio
Sirus stereo
extra fuel tank in bow for kicker fuel
half soft top with sides and drop down
and more stuff then I can even think right now. So would you sell or just hang on to it ?

Attachments

• Resized_20220801_115409_5376.jpg
    Resized_20220801_115409_5376.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 148
I'd hang on, life changes quickly sometimes. You didn't stop liking fishing I'm guessing. A year or two from now replacing it will be considerably more money

Depends how much you use it. Do you enjoy the things that go along with owning a boat? Is there something else in your life that brings you more joy than owning a boat that you’d rather own or do? Have you ever been on a charter ? Did you prefer it to boat ownership? I’m sure you could fetch a decent chunk of change for it.

Still pondering it over but thinking about selling my boat. I know most of you will figured I"ve suffered a brain injury or somthing but it just doesn't get used enough right now.... Need some opinions if I should concider or not. Prices seem all over the map but none are actually built like this one either
Hewescraft 18 ft sportsman with pod and rear dance floor reworked for storage and fishing space.
NEW Yamaha 115 maybe 20 hours on it now.
Tandem axle trailer
NEW scotty 1106's
Humminbird Helix 7
Garmin Echo maps 7
Garman Striker 5
Probax seats
8Hp Yamaha kicker with power tilt and pro troll system
Hydro steering
VHF radio
Sirus stereo
extra fuel tank in bow for kicker fuel
half soft top with sides and drop down
and more stuff then I can even think right now. So would you sell or just hang on to it ?
How much you want for it?

Well to blanket these question ... Yes we enjoy fishing very much but it's not a quick tour down the road to a lake to use it. I enjoy it very much and I spend huge amounts of time tinkering and tweeking things. Spend more time sitting in the yard playing with things than in the water though. Only charter I've ever been on was in Mexico and untill he learned quickly we knew what we were doing out there, the experience would have been aweful unless we called him out on just taking us out on a boat tour (yes we caught fish after). As far as boat ownership... I've owned boats for over 20 years and I think it's the people who want to go that makes the experience worse. Girlfriend doesnt come out much anymore, my boy loves it but like I said its not readily available to drop the boat in. Kind of a wack of money tied up for something that see's maybe 15 days a year on the water. As far as price I have no Idea what it would be worth right now.

i wouldnt sell it though. its big enough for everywhere in BC. and you wont get your moneys worth. service engines annually and let it sit.
idk why people think they must use something a certain number of hours annually to own it. as long as its maintained its a hunk of metal ready for use. who cares if you use it only once a year. its there when you need it.
i own a crane i use only once a year for lifting 3 tons. if i was to rent one it would be a pain to get it on a weekend. so it sits, oiled and wrapped in plastic until needed. then it travels 200 ft, lifts the stuff i need lifted and goes back, get sprayed with oil, gets wrapped and sits. is it worth it ? absolutely. its there when i need it. its not doing anything but taking up space.

Last edited:
i wouldnt sell it though. its big enough for everywhere in BC. and you wont get your moneys worth. service engines annually and let it sit.
idk why people think they must use something a certain number of hours annually to own it. as long as its maintained its a hunk of metal ready for use. who cares if you use it only once a year. its there when you need it.
i own a crane i use only once a year for lifting 3 tons. if i was to rent one it would be a pain to get it on a weekend. so it sits, oiled and wrapped in plastic until needed. then it travels 200 ft, lifts the stuff i need lifted and goes back, get sprayed with oil, gets wrapped and sits. is it worth it ? absolutely. its there when i need it. its not doing anything but taking up space.
True to a point, Zurk, but if it's tying up capital that could be used for something else that has come to be a priority...

For me, the biggest investment in my boat may well be the time I've put into setting it up the way I want it. The wish list is pretty short now, but still some tweaking happens as hours are logged and I better understand what I want the boat to do and how to get there.

if you treat boats as an investment, they are literally a terrible investment. if you sell them the capital you have tied up in a boat gets reduced by half if not more. yes if you have a need rather than a wish to do something with it that is different. i.e. you need a new extension on your house because the inlaws decided to move in. yeah thats a valid reason to get rid of your boat. i dont think this is the case in this instance, however. its just a boat which is "not being used enough" on a random whatever metric. i dont use my boat enough either, i dont think anyone does. but if i was to use my boat enough the wear and tear would make it look like those worn down charter boats in 5-7 years. and no one wants the headache of an ex-charter boat. i took a look at some in the carribean and man they beat those things to death with overuse. 8000 engine hours on both engines each, everything worn down to within an inch of its life.

. i.e. you need a new extension on your house because the inlaws decided to move in. yeah thats a valid reason to get rid of your boat.
LOL thats the worst reason to get rid of a boat. Its more of a get away from my current job situation thats why I'm thinking about selling.

LOL thats the worst reason to get rid of a boat. Its more of a get away from my current job situation thats why I'm thinking about selling.
i dont get it. how does selling a boat help you change jobs ? i normally use my resume to do that.

It's not often spoken of on here, and the OP may not be in this situation, but people often finance the puchase of a boat. It could be that the financial obligation is preventing a move to a more satisfying, albeit less lucrative job.
I definitely financed my SS. It was North of 100k. No lost pride here

Back