Aluminum boat suggestions

Eagle Craft/Daigle on the left, Bridgeview on the right. Not as much deadrise on the Eagle Craft either. It’s an all-around smaller boat, but they built lots of them for lodges and they are still hanging around. You can see the deflector rail added at the entry area. That's my boat on the right, the Eagle looks like it will fit inside mine when you stand behind them.

View attachment 91659
yah that looks similar to the one i’m looking at. what do they typically sell for?

Sandheads can be very rough in the summer. The standing waves coming out of the river will be devastating to a 16 ft aluminum. Personally I would steer towards a 17 to 19ft if aluminum is your thing, especially with 3 to 4 people. If you buy a 16 ft, you will be turning around or staying home alot. Even the harbour can be uncomfortable with a nw wind.
I realize your space is limited, but something larger with a folding tongue trailer would be better suited for ocean fishing. My vote would be for a heavier fiberglass boat for comfort but thats me.

True on a 16-17 ft. boat a soft top most likely will provide more useable space. I have a 20 ft. welded aluminum with a hardtop and it works great for all types of fishing in all types of weather with lots of deck space. My hard top is 20 years old and will never need to be replaced in many lifetimes.

Comes down to specific boat design, personal choice, comfort levels and how much one wants to spend on initial purchase price vs ongoing maintenance costs.

True on a 16-17 ft. boat a soft top most likely will provide more useable space. I have a 20 ft. welded aluminum with a hardtop and it works great for all types of fishing in all types of weather with lots of deck space. My hard top is 20 years old and will never need to be replaced in many lifetimes.

Comes down to specific boat design, personal choice, comfort levels and how much one wants to spend on initial purchase price vs ongoing maintenance costs.
Here's some math on hard vs soft tops:
In 2021, the base cost of a Lifetimer 2200 Cabin was $96K, a Lifetimer 2200 Hardtop was $64K, and the Lifetimer Weathermaster 2200 soft top was $39K. This suggests that a hardtop is going to cost somewhere between $25K and $57K compared to replacing the canvas on a soft top for ~$2-3K. So one hard top works out to ~10 to 20 soft tops, which assuming a life of 5 years means you'll be good for 50-100 years of soft tops. On the other hand a hardtop will likely last more than 50-100 years.

Longer than you wanted but maybe?

Back