Fuel Burn of Twin Suzuki DF300’s on a 28 Foot Fiberglass Boat

MpG is maybe useful for some however it's not an accurate representation for a marine traveling vessel for several reasons. It's not used and will make things more complicated.

That's really good numbers with a 25ft boat with a single 300. I'd say you'll never do better than that.
Ok, I have to inquire how mpg isn’t the most accurate way of judging your fuel economy? I’ve got the c10 gauge which ties into my lowrance for gps, uses the sog gps combined with the fuel burn from the engines computer.

Ok, I have to inquire how mpg isn’t the most accurate way of judging your fuel economy? I’ve got the c10 gauge which ties into my lowrance for gps, uses the sog gps combined with the fuel burn from the engines computer.
I agree.. the end product of GPH, speed and the amount of hours traveled comes out to gallons per mile, or miles per gallon depending on which way you calculate it.

10 gallons per hour for 10 hours at 20 miles per hour. You've used 100 gallons and traveled 200 miles. Pick which way you want to calculate it.

Either 2.0 mpg or 0.5 gallons per mile

RPM is irrelevant to the equation.. doesn't matter if your doing that at 3000 rpm or 4000 rpm.. your fuel burn is your fuel burn

Last edited:
Alot also depends on water condtions flat calm or rough and TIDE
yesterday coming in and with a huge ebb the tide i was at 4100 rpm and 43 ltrph i was doing 28 mph wish it was like that all the time LOL

Alot also depends on water condtions flat calm or rough and TIDE
yesterday coming in and with a huge ebb the tide i was at 4100 rpm and 43 ltrph i was doing 28 mph wish it was like that all the time LOL
Well of course, but if your using gps sog combined with your fuel flow that’s calculated every micro second by your electronics to give you a instant read out on your mpg, I don’t see how anything is more accurate for judging your fuel economy at that point in time. But ya of course if I’m loaded and traveling against the current I might get 2- 2.2 mpg. But unloaded going the other way I’d be at 2.4-2.6.

Back