Net holders

habberdasher

I am tired of loosing nets I think I saw a thread some were using Scotty rod holders attached to a rail I have a small Arima and the net gets in the way in a vertical holder and falls off of the bow

i solved this by extending my net handle and laying the hoop portion on the bow of my boat hooked in the rail. hopefully that makes sense.
what about rail mounting a scotty orca rod holder?

I have an Orca mounted to a rail. Works great for the 6ft net I use. on my 21' boat. I'll get pictures when I'm out this evening.
For smaller boats, I've hooked the net over a bow cleat or radio antenna and it's super secure.

I've done some interesting MacGyvering but at last am happy with my net holders.
Every boat is different, as is every net.
It may take some trial and error to find what works best for you.

Here’s what I did. Mounted a Scotty Orca holder on my starboard Side rear portion of the rail. Had a custom piece of stainless tube made and mounted to one of the front rails that works as a hook. The frame of the net gets hooked around the custom hook then the handle locks into the Orca on the side rail. Quick access and locked down for travel. Kinda hard to see the hook piece but it’s just right of the black bumper. It’s

71EBD5E1-C2D4-4FCE-8D4C-A13006DFC406.jpeg 248B7E05-CA78-4CE0-A4B8-4DD99E4D0757.jpeg

Like above I used an Orca on the side rail on my Arima. Hoop of the net was on deck between side of cuddy and bow rail. Orca made it easy to release to use

I have an Orca mounted to a rail. Works great for the 6ft net I use. on my 21' boat. I'll get pictures when I'm out this evening.
For smaller boats, I've hooked the net over a bow cleat or radio antenna and it's super secure.
Hooking the net on my bow cleat cost me the (possible) fish of a lifetime. A rod holder with the net ready to go is the only way to go.

One other trick in case your net goes overboard is to pop off the the end cap and fill the rod handle with wine corks, and recap - works for most nets. Gives it enough flotation to circle around and grab the net before it sinks. Great excuse to buy more wine too.

One other trick in case your net goes overboard is to pop off the the end cap and fill the rod handle with wine corks, and recap - works for most nets. Gives it enough flotation to circle around and grab the net before it sinks. Great excuse to buy more wine too.

did that once till I found out the corks got lodged in the locking release mechanism and I could Not close the net nor move the corks because they’d gotten wet and expanded Be mindful of this if you go this route. .

Be careful that your actual netting doesn't drag in the water, else it will catch in bigger waves when you are on plane. It will do this with enough force to bend the hoop of your net.
Don't ask me how I know this happens.

I keep mine in the cuddy of my little boat, usually I manage to put something that will tangle close enough to get caught in the net. I find this really makes the most of the excitement of netting any of the fish I might be able to retain. When I first lived in Manitoba and discovered the stillwater trout fishing, I didn't have a net. Generally I have always either just released trout grabbing the bend of the hook or if I was keeping one, even with fairly fine tippet, lift it into the boat or the float tube. I caught a few small fish which were no problem, but then I got a 25" rainbow. I really wanted to keep and eat it, but there was no way you would lift it over the side with 2x tippet. I finally used a bailer I had in the canoe and chased its head in and grabbed it by the tail. It was very tasty on the BBQ, especially as it had been years since I had had a bbq salmon that I had caught. I bought a net.

Be careful that your actual netting doesn't drag in the water, else it will catch in bigger waves when you are on plane. It will do this with enough force to bend the hoop of your net.
Don't ask me how I know this happens.

i have one of those scotty net minders on my net. pulls it back so this doesn’t happen. i also use it when netting fish so the bag doesn’t get caught in everything. automatically releases when fish is in the bag

Back