Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

So far as I know it the boat will be launched in the erliey A.M.As far as I can see it the bite will be closer weee hours...always better out there earlier.Have to wake up erly and get the boat at rest.I don't believe it may last longer than12;30

Just asked the wifee..what do YOU want to use...a 5.5 anchovie or a 6.5 whole herring???She said ..I don't care I always catch them!!I figure she knows more than I do!

Well got out finally... Ran the aluminum for the first time.... I was worried about having just a f200 on there... but to say the least I was very happy with boat and motors preformance...everything worked great... was blessed with a flat calm afternoon out there... Very stable and tons of room... towed well... felt good to get out there....

On the down side.. we fished the last half of a big flood... started 3 miles off the fingers, then ran to the humps, then back a few miles off again... Super thick with those grey cod... clearing the lines constantly... they were small a couple pounds so you couldnt tell when they were on...

No Salmon this time, hope the am shift did better...

Well got out finally... Ran the aluminum for the first time.... I was worried about having just a f200 on there... but to say the least I was very happy with boat and motors preformance...everything worked great... was blessed with a flat calm afternoon out there... Very stable and tons of room... towed well... felt good to get out there....

On the down side.. we fished the last half of a big flood... started 3 miles off the fingers, then ran to the humps, then back a few miles off again... Super thick with those grey cod... clearing the lines constantly... they were small a couple pounds so you couldnt tell when they were on...

No Salmon this time, hope the am shift did better...

That's great that you got out to try out your girl Brad. Cool stuff.

I am at work so southbound, went close to Thrasher and counted 12 boats fishing and spotted 6 that crossed from Vancouver. I listened on ch 68 and didn't here any fish on chatter. There was enuff boats out there that vancouver traffic radar could see them and was telling comercial traffic, there is a concentration of sporties off thrasher..

I counted over 60 boats at Thrasher about 10days / 2weeks ago, on a weekend day as I went by... maybe we are between runs... Im being optomistic, hoping there is another good run coming down our way....

or it might be time to fill up the Diesel and migrate towards the WC

It seems to have slowed down a lot. We scratched today with only one hit.

The new crew member got to see his first salmon.

diesel.jpg

diesel1.jpg

X2 Its been tough this weekend Nanaimo area. Weather has been eratic, crazy barometer swings. If you get into a fish- don't make soup with it...

Fished from 9 -5 Sunday with only two hits both close together at about 9:30. One produced a 14#'r the other just a solid tap. 1,000' of water off the Fingers where you enter Whiskey Gulf.

Had a great report from Todd @ Highroller just now. Talked to him as he was cleaning fish at the dock, caught off the fingers.

5 fish, first caught in the first 2.5 hours of the morning, a slow morning he said, but soon after they boated 4 fish in the high teens and low 20's.

Looking forward to my day trip with Todd tommorrow...can't wait!

H.E.H. will you be in the area tommorrow? hope to hear from you!

-NICK- FB

Had a great report from Todd @ Highroller just now. Talked to him as he was cleaning fish at the dock, caught off the fingers.

5 fish, first caught in the first 2.5 hours of the morning, a slow morning he said, but soon after they boated 4 fish in the high teens and low 20's.

Looking forward to my day trip with Todd tommorrow...can't wait!

H.E.H. will you be in the area tommorrow? hope to hear from you!

-NICK- FB

Hi Nick

Nope unfortunately I have to work to support my fishing habit. I was in Nanaimo over the long weekend however between the weather and slow fishing was only able to scrape up 1 fish at 19#. I am stuck in Vancouver until June 1. Best of luck on today.

h.e.h.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caught this 23.5lb fella off of the Fingers ...130ft, hoochie...Got one other 17.5lbs, released 1 other legal and one under sized and lost two more.

IMG_3636.jpg

Nice fish burnsy 22. Sounds like a great day on the water. I am beginning to rethink my decision to work this weekend.I'll have to see what the reports over the next couple of days are like.
h.e.h.

The fishing is so good now you don't even need hooks!
Nice 1 burnsey!
Hootchie did well around Shack Rk

Attachments

• Rocker 1 (Small).JPG
    Rocker 1 (Small).JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 102
We were out off Neck Pt. yesterday with Todd from Highroller Charters...Smashed on the chinooks REAL good. Slow fishing, I think not! Will be posting a full report on the main page soon enough...but in a nutshell

10 fish hooked, 3 lost, 2 released, 5 in the bucket. Biggest Todd figures was 22-23, but looking at burnsy's pic...it may have been bigger. (we didn't scale) The rest were high teens, about 15lbs average.
Incredible day on the water, with rain sun and wind, with a mild chop at times. Paraded aroung and slayed them!

Ran @ 165 and 150 from 1030am till 430pm (late start, damn summer ferry schedule!) felt bad for the 2 buddies that opted out of this day trip, and anyone else who felt yesterday was not a favorable day to fish, because IT WAS!! Full report to follow...

-Nick - FB-

We were out off Neck Pt. yesterday with Todd from Highroller Charters...Smashed on the chinooks REAL good. Slow fishing, I think not! Will be posting a full report on the main page soon enough...but in a nutshell

10 fish hooked, 3 lost, 2 released, 5 in the bucket. Biggest Todd figures was 22-23, but looking at burnsy's pic...it may have been bigger. (we didn't scale) The rest were high teens, about 15lbs average.
Incredible day on the water, with rain sun and wind, with a mild chop at times. Paraded aroung and slayed them!

Ran @ 165 and 150 from 1030am till 430pm (late start, damn summer ferry schedule!) felt bad for the 2 buddies that opted out of this day trip, and anyone else who felt yesterday was not a favorable day to fish, because IT WAS!! Full report to follow...

-Nick - FB-

Nice fish for sure Nick. It was great meeting you in person yesterday along with your buddy's. Thanks for the mold's for the lead melt party it is very much appreciated. Hope you got the pic's. Make sure you post up the go pro vid's!!! Sure nice to see so many fish at the Brechin cleaning table. The party after you guys brought in a few nice ones as well.

Cheers,
John

Hi Nick
Sorry I did not have a chance to phone back after my initial call while you were on the water yesterday. I spoke to Todd later in the evening and he said you guys did well. Congrats. I am having second thoughts about staying in Vancouver for the weekend. If the fishing stays good I may be hopping on a ferry Friday afternoon. Looking forward to your detailed report
h.e.h.

I went out last might from about 5:30-8:00. The wind was down and the fish were biting. We pulled in 2 and had another hit that never stuck between 150-175 feet down. I figure my first ever post might as well have a picture of a fish in it so here is my buddy with his beauty. The other one was a bit smaller but still mid teens.

Attachments

• 556934_3130627109920_1392020561_2200443_552080745_n.jpg
    556934_3130627109920_1392020561_2200443_552080745_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 145
Back