Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Off Gabriola yesterday in 600 700' water and fishing at 154 on 1 rigger and 170 on the other. First fish was nice, didn't get to see it but it didn't stop running until it go off. We did get 2 more, a 17 and a 20 marble. Using the kitchen sink, green flasher and 6' leader.

Thanks for getting this thread going, Always good to get some info before we head out and start fishing.
Has any one caught anyting of size yet? We are gonna try out by rocky point and the fingers this weekend or maybe early next week, After we hit up the Chandeler for Pirate days( oh ya...Candy store)

I was out 2-3 miles past the Fingers today. No action and some algea in the water. A few boats but nobody catching from what I saw. Beautiful day. Rolled white and green gear 140'-200'. Current was strong and a bit of chop late morning.

I was out 2-3 miles past the Fingers today. No action and some algea in the water. A few boats but nobody catching from what I saw. Beautiful day. Rolled white and green gear 140'-200'. Current was strong and a bit of chop late morning.

I heard a report of further out like 5 miles today at the HC. I'm hoping to get out this weekend sometime and follow the pack!!! I haven't fished the East side for so long I can't wait. Going to try for lings and hali's as well what the hell.

Fishing off Nanaimo has been pretty consistant this past week. We've had our best fishing mid-day leading up to the low tide. 110 to 180 feet in 500 feet of water. The 3" Silver Horde spoons have been deadly for us.

Some fish in the high 20's, I know of a 29, a 27 and lots down from there, they are out there, just have to find em. Good luck to all.

HT

Ok, this for you south island guys that my be sceptical...

Attachments

• 25# May 2012 (Small).jpg
    25# May 2012 (Small).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 162
Well since it was I who reeled in the fish on Cheech's boat, the scale was hovering between 25-26lbs. Lost another very similar about 10 mins prior to that one as well. Here is another angle of the same fish..

Burnsey22May20121.jpg

I couldn't figure out what that scale said

Last edited by a moderator:
well, we fished thrasher hard on friday night and knew pretty quickly we had missed that push that happened the week before, we know the system there and tried the whole gammut, didnt get a sniff on a gorgeous night, stayed in silva bay and there were millions of either fry or a small bait fish all through the bay, first light again off thrasher, after an hour and a half of deadness went to 5 fingers where it was dead as mother teresas sex life. pulled pin and called it a day at 10am. Was at Ucluelet 2 weeks previous and only hit one silly spring in 20 hours of trolling, but saved trip with 65 pound hali, tuff start. Got to love those frozen pinks at superstore,mmmmmm

Yesterday at Thrasher 7 AM fishing with Eriks from the Forum, we nailed 29.5 lbs. 110 feet on splatterback hoochie.

Attachments

• Erik Thrasher Rock Spring Compressed Med.jpg
    Erik Thrasher Rock Spring Compressed Med.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice fish guy's!!! I was out yesterday doing some sea trials and saw a few dandy's at the Brechin cleaning station as well. Anyone fishing the evenings during the week? I was thinking of a couple evening fishes after work this week.

Big wind in the forcast for days to come...BUMMER ...I'm itchin to get out there....Did I ever mention how much I hate fishin in the 3 foot chop??????

Big wind in the forcast for days to come...BUMMER ...I'm itchin to get out there....Did I ever mention how much I hate fishin in the 3 foot chop??????

Yeah it doesn't look very good till Friday. I still may go for a burn if it doesn't look too bad. Anyone can fish in calm seas lol.

Nice fish guy's!!! I was out yesterday doing some sea trials and saw a few dandy's at the Brechin cleaning station as well. Anyone fishing the evenings during the week? I was thinking of a couple evening fishes after work this week.

Hello Sculpin

I fished Saturday from 5:00 to 8:30 Kept 1 at 20# ( not bad for first fish of the year), tailed and released one that measured 28", lost one that looked to be in the 20# range, and had one other hit that did not stick. Went out again Sunday morning and nada.

h.e.h.

With all this wind and chop lately those fish are damned lucky we arn't out there bonking a few of them!!!!!!

Any reports from today? Friday May 18th, hope there was a break in the wind for guys to get out... thinking about hitting it Saturday...

Back