Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Emailed the pic to the Coast Guard. They said the chain tangles on itself and pulls the float down. They said it should have been marked and that tomorrow the navy will untangle or at least mark it.

What a beauty of a day out there today[BW DAVES] webcam at Pipers.Anyone hitting fish?I'm going out tomorrow!!

What a beauty of a day out there today[BW DAVES] webcam at Pipers.Anyone hitting fish?I'm going out tomorrow!!

Yeah beauty day for sure. I'm still working on the boat. Hope to have her in the water by the end of the month. I was in the harbour chandler this morning and they said they have heard of a lot of fish being caught. Good luck tomorrow wildwest :).

Spent about 4 hours off French Creek today, and the bloom is much better than it was last week,still some, but quite fishable.
The fishing has picked up as well. 3 fish today, 8,13 and 18lbs. caught by a couple of Alberta friends. The wife of the pair has never even seen the ocean, prior to this trip, and her husband, only twice before. She caught the two largest,and handled them like a pro.
I took her husband to Sooke about 11 years ago, and then 2 years ago some co-workers of his talked him into a trip to Queen Charlotte Lodge, where he caught a 65 1/2 Chinook.
Talk about luck for these two.
Lure-washer

Had a great day on the water today. Set some prawn traps over the tide change and finally managed to get about 70 today. We fished the highway while the traps soaked, no luck in the fish department. Probably gonna head back out tomorrow too

Yeah, it was a beauty today for sure. Not many calm ones like it. Did well on the prawns. Crab and fish eluded us. One bite off Entrance and that was it. Not much for bait or fish on sounder. Sure lots of boats out, but radio was quiet.

Ling and Rockfish

Hi all!
Just wondering if anybody will be fishing the bottom for anything as I see that Ling and Rockfish will open as of May 1st.
Thinking about doing some jigging after dropping the crab traps in the Nanaimo area does anyone have any suggestions for bait,tackle,spots etc. Dont want your secrets just some ideas for a day out on the water. Thanks and good thread so far and some nice pics. BTW have a small boat so cant go WAY out but fingers wouldnt be too far of a stretch.

KV1,
You will have to go a ways, because of the Rock Fish Conservation areas in and around the harbor. Try just on the west side of the Hudson Rocks (fingers). Theres a hump or 2 that often gives up a ling or rockfish. If the waters flat, sneak over to Entrance and fish the reefs on the near end or far side. If the wind comes up from the South-east you can get back behind Gabriola fairly quick. If it comes up from the North-west you will be in trouble if you don't leave soon enough.
Good luck.

Ling and Rock Fish

Thanks Stress Medicine. I have looked at the RCA's and they seem pretty straight forward with the GPS and landmarks. Thanks for the tips much appreciated. Good luck fishing.

Has anyone every stayed at the Silva Bay Inn? Pages? I wonder which would be better?

Thanks

Algae, Algae and more Algae....had to clip off the last 40-50 ft of line because of the snot in the water. Made it unfishable closer in. Got our one bite off the fingers down about 140' and lost it as it somehow got tangled in our other rod.

Saw several at the cleaning station Sunday morning,..where and how deep seemed to be a big secret.If anyone asked me I would tell my leader lenght,depth,bait holder etc,etc ....I wouldn't care.

Saw several at the cleaning station Sunday morning,..where and how deep seemed to be a big secret.If anyone asked me I would tell my leader lenght,depth,bait holder etc,etc ....I wouldn't care.
185' 500', spackleback hootchie,42", 11:00 am Sunday 16lbs

Back