Multi-function display advice

searun

Hoping for some advice from folks who have been there done that.

I'm podding and re-powering my Grady 265 Express this year. So that means an opportunity to move up to fly-by-wire controls and also re-jig my dash display. I'm going to run twin Suzuki 300's, and hoping to have all my engine and fuel info displayed onto either a Garmin, Lowrance, or Simrad unit. Hearing that Suzuki may not configure or rather interface to Garmin. I checked out Lowrance, and they seem to have software compatibility. There seems to be an interface adapter for Suzuki that may work with Lowrance, but maybe not Garmin. Not sure, hoping for some advice on that. Getting down to point where I need to purchase a display unit. My other desire is to be able to display all my fuel tank status (2 tanks) and fuel management onto the same display unit.

Thanks in advance for advice.

get a couple of nss 12 evo 3s and you should be set.
Thanks, I have 2 HDS 12 units already in the dash, plus a B&G (simrad) 9 inch at back of boat. Looking to install another (9 inch) unit into the dash for engine and fuel management to replace all the old school round gauges for fuel, tach etc.

and, yes its a big boat with lots of dash space, and yes perhaps going a little over-board on electronics....but why not

Thanks, I have 2 HDS 12 units already in the dash, plus a B&G (simrad) 9 inch at back of boat. Looking to install another (9 inch) unit into the dash for engine and fuel management to replace all the old school round gauges for fuel, tach etc.

and, yes its a big boat with lots of dash space, and yes perhaps going a little over-board on electronics....but why not

Why dont you do what Derby did and just run a standalone Simrad GO7 or GO9. Leave everything alone. You can also network the Simrad to work with everything you have. Simrad will work with all your HDS units with just gages.

Lowrance vs Simrad doesn't really matter since their both made by Navico and effectively interchangeable. If you go with a one of the "higher end" units (HDS or Evo), you will be able to network your radar / sounder to the new unit as well if that is important to you. If it is not, then a lower cost Hook or Go XSE will save you some cash. You'll still get all NMEA 2K data, but will lose fishfinder / radar networking.

The Suzuki MFD posted above is rebadge Furuno unit with the Suzuki software pre-loaded on. I'm not a Suzuki expert, but you should talk to your dealer and find out if you will lose any functionality if go with a Navico display vs the Fururo option. For example, you might not be able to get alarm codes, access troll control, monitor engine hours, etc. if you use a Navico display. Depending on whether these functions are important to you, it might make sense to consider the Furuno MFD.

FWIW, I repowered last year with twin 300 Verados - digital throttle and shift is amazing and I will never go back to cables! For engine data, I went with a Mercury Vesselview 9 which is just a rebadged Simrad Go9 XSE with included components to interface with the Verados. My other electronics are Furuno, and I could have got some of the engine and fuel info over NMEA 2K to the Furuno network, but certain features and functions require the Simrad display such as cruise control, troll control, Active Trim, etc. The Simrad unit is great for engine info and I can use the MFD for mapping / GPS, AIS and sending routes to my autopilot, but the Furuno (first gen TZ Touch) is so much better for those things that I never bother. Overall I'm happy with the setup and it could only be improved if I could access the full Mercury functionality on a Furuno product.

You should be able to monitor your fuel two ways: 1) using the engine to compute fuel burn and calculate the fuel remaining, and 2) getting the tank levels from the senders in your tanks. Option 1 is a bit more involved as it requires manually adding fuel into the MFD each time you add fuel to the tanks, but is is more accurate (and what I use).

Lowrance vs Simrad doesn't really matter since their both made by Navico and effectively interchangeable. If you go with a one of the "higher end" units (HDS or Evo), you will be able to network your radar / sounder to the new unit as well if that is important to you. If it is not, then a lower cost Hook or Go XSE will save you some cash. You'll still get all NMEA 2K data, but will lose fishfinder / radar networking.

The Suzuki MFD posted above is rebadge Furuno unit with the Suzuki software pre-loaded on. I'm not a Suzuki expert, but you should talk to your dealer and find out if you will lose any functionality if go with a Navico display vs the Fururo option. For example, you might not be able to get alarm codes, access troll control, monitor engine hours, etc. if you use a Navico display. Depending on whether these functions are important to you, it might make sense to consider the Furuno MFD.

FWIW, I repowered last year with twin 300 Verados - digital throttle and shift is amazing and I will never go back to cables! For engine data, I went with a Mercury Vesselview 9 which is just a rebadged Simrad Go9 XSE with included components to interface with the Verados. My other electronics are Furuno, and I could have got some of the engine and fuel info over NMEA 2K to the Furuno network, but certain features and functions require the Simrad display such as cruise control, troll control, Active Trim, etc. The Simrad unit is great for engine info and I can use the MFD for mapping / GPS, AIS and sending routes to my autopilot, but the Furuno (first gen TZ Touch) is so much better for those things that I never bother. Overall I'm happy with the setup and it could only be improved if I could access the full Mercury functionality on a Furuno product.

You should be able to monitor your fuel two ways: 1) using the engine to compute fuel burn and calculate the fuel remaining, and 2) getting the tank levels from the senders in your tanks. Option 1 is a bit more involved as it requires manually adding fuel into the MFD each time you add fuel to the tanks, but is is more accurate (and what I use).
Hds units will show all engine data with the exception of alarms, but the interface isn’t as appealing as the Suzuki display maybe the simrad looks nicer. 2019 150 and gen 3 hds7 for example. I think there is a dashboard that shows as gauges but that was easier to read the information for me. 6B61862A-67A0-41B7-B814-EAFD72938480.jpeg

Last edited:
Hoping for some advice from folks who have been there done that.

I'm podding and re-powering my Grady 265 Express this year. So that means an opportunity to move up to fly-by-wire controls and also re-jig my dash display. I'm going to run twin Suzuki 300's, and hoping to have all my engine and fuel info displayed onto either a Garmin, Lowrance, or Simrad unit. Hearing that Suzuki may not configure or rather interface to Garmin. I checked out Lowrance, and they seem to have software compatibility. There seems to be an interface adapter for Suzuki that may work with Lowrance, but maybe not Garmin. Not sure, hoping for some advice on that. Getting down to point where I need to purchase a display unit. My other desire is to be able to display all my fuel tank status (2 tanks) and fuel management onto the same display unit.

Thanks in advance for advice.

I love your boats layout but never desired the the transom drop down that much. Are you just going to leave the drop down or fill it in?

Looking forward to the finished product. Once the market comes back inline this boat is on my list of potentials.

they should all talk to each other over nmea2k
I love that unit, except for the $2,700 big ones...hoping to find less expensive way. Also its built by Furuno - which won't be compatible with current set up (Lowrance) - I'm thinking of transitioning to Garmin so that was first preference, however its seeming Garmin won't communicate as well with Suzuki from little research I'm getting.

I love your boats layout but never desired the the transom drop down that much. Are you just going to leave the drop down or fill it in?

Looking forward to the finished product. Once the market comes back inline this boat is on my list of potentials.
Drop down is gone...closed in now. Built a hull extension rather than a pod, and the close in will give me a lot of storage plus a great work area for building a tackle station at back. Its looking epic, and will make a big difference in the functionality of the boat - or so I hope. I haven't figured out how to post photos - might try posting from my phone.

Surprised myself - the phone works for posting pics Not quite finished. Still needs to have the storage cabinet finished, and as well there will be a rod holder bracket added to the stern tackle prep area - I like to run all my rods straight out the back to avoid weeds and have only one place to watch the rod tips. Miss fewer bites too. Will build a tackle station from star-board that will mount along the stern enclosure top. Also will be steering and kicker throttle so I can run the boat from rear area while fishing. Will have it finished with epoxy paint.

Why dont you do what Derby did and just run a standalone Simrad GO7 or GO9. Leave everything alone. You can also network the Simrad to work with everything you have. Simrad will work with all your HDS units with just gages.
Discovered the GO9 will not network sadly as they are nice and also cheap, has to be an Elite if I want to network. Apparently the GO series is built as stand alone. Derby ran into some issues getting all his fuel mgmt stuff to coordinate. It may be a matter of installing a few fuel sending unit interface and dumping some old gauges. Hoping to have no gauges, just one display unit for a clean dash - in case I spill a beer. :)

Repowered last spring with twin Suzuki’s with mechanical controls. Went with 2 of the the newer Suzuki multifunction SMG4 gauges that replaced all the mech gauges. These gauges have nmea 2k ports that work with my Garmin electronics, allowing engine and fuel data to be displayed on the Garmin (I think you may get even more data with fly by wire controls). I’m not sure if you can get an adapter that would go straight from the engine wire harness to the Garmin MFD but that may be an option. You can also control troll mode through the SMG4 gauges so you don’t need the separate troll button that they sell.

Attachments

• 05921456-7FAC-4E95-BABF-D7E9AC822697.jpeg
    05921456-7FAC-4E95-BABF-D7E9AC822697.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 73809EA7-AD0B-493A-ACAD-F04F957001AD.jpeg
    73809EA7-AD0B-493A-ACAD-F04F957001AD.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 6249A5D0-F93B-40C8-AF4B-FC658749EB2B.jpeg
    6249A5D0-F93B-40C8-AF4B-FC658749EB2B.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 71
Surprised myself - the phone works for posting pics Not quite finished. Still needs to have the storage cabinet finished, and as well there will be a rod holder bracket added to the stern tackle prep area - I like to run all my rods straight out the back to avoid weeds and have only one place to watch the rod tips. Miss fewer bites too. Will build a tackle station from star-board that will mount along the stern enclosure top. Also will be steering and kicker throttle so I can run the boat from rear area while fishing. Will have it finished with epoxy paint.
That looks great!

Going to be very useful when finished.

One option if you want a Simrad would be the Go 7 XSR ("radar") - it has an ethernet port and should be able to network. Bit smaller than what you are looking for.

@Sharphooks has a twin Suzuki and Garmin setup, not sure how he is getting his engine info displayed. He might have some insight if he sees this and has been very helpful to me in the past with electronics questions.

One option if you want a Simrad would be the Go 7 XSR ("radar") - it has an ethernet port and should be able to network. Bit smaller than what you are looking for.

@Sharphooks has a twin Suzuki and Garmin setup, not sure how he is getting his engine info displayed. He might have some insight if he sees this and has been very helpful to me in the past with electronics questions.
Almost positive that Ethernet port on the Go series will only work for radar…… did some research before and I believe you can pay to get it unlocked but at that point the cost is more then evo series

Almost positive that Ethernet port on the Go series will only work for radar…… did some research before and I believe you can pay to get it unlocked but at that point the cost is more then evo series
That's what I heard also - will not pull down transducer or maps from your network. I liked the lay out of GO9 better than Elite. The pod project is moving along faster than I anticipated, so I have to get off the fence and make a decision shortly. New Airmar MH-185 ordered (1kw).

If you were to go with 2 of the smg4 gauges you could add them to your nmea network and get all the information your after on your current screens. They act as the “interface” and would display any alarms etc. i think you can get a kit with cabling to show the engine data without having the gauge on a separate screen as it sounds like your after but you wouldn’t see alarms or service intervals. I would assume the Suzuki(furuno) display unit would have that information but don’t know how well it would integrate with the rest of your electronics.

Last edited:
Back