First Time Radar - Advice

Flounder_pounder

I'm looking to add radar for the 2024 season. Planning to hit the boat show for some deals. My current display set-up is a Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 2 GPS (10 Y/O unit). I'm leaning towards purchasing a new 9" display/radar combo. The new unit would be designated for navigation & I'd keep my current unit as a sounder until one day I choose to upgrade it as well.

I'm not brand loyal, so I'm interested in what you're using, and how it handles our PNW weather, (would like to keep things $5K or less...) It looks like I could add an older model dome (3g) to my existing unit (If I can find one) curious if anyone runs that specific set-up, and if it would be worth sourcing a 3G dome and saving the $$$?

Cheers,

I'm looking to add radar for the 2024 season. Planning to hit the boat show for some deals. My current display set-up is a Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 2 GPS (10 Y/O unit). I'm leaning towards purchasing a new 9" display/radar combo. The new unit would be designated for navigation & I'd keep my current unit as a sounder until one day I choose to upgrade it as well.

I'm not brand loyal, so I'm interested in what you're using, and how it handles our PNW weather, (would like to keep things $5K or less...) It looks like I could add an older model dome (3g) to my existing unit (If I can find one) curious if anyone runs that specific set-up, and if it would be worth sourcing a 3G dome and saving the $$$?

Cheers,
I'd look for good deal on Lowrance Live 9 or 12, lots of sales out there. Same look and feel as your current HDS 9, likely your charts will work and then add a Halo 20+ (Zurk seems to be the man on this). You can then use your current screen and network it just as a sounder and use your new one as full map with radar overlay (I think you'll need a point 1 antenna or an autopilot antenna). Members have had troubles with the 3G radars, where I have an older Simrad unit and it is still going strong. Sometimes old open box units come up on eBay but rarely are they complete.

i would get the halo 20+/zeus 3s bundle. its a 9" chartplotter with a halo 20+ radar which gives you a 60Hz refresh rate and 2 bands so you can watch weather and close up radar at the same time. it has track while scan for upto 10 targets with MARPA auto track.
Tĥat's what I use. It's good. Use with digital compass for overlay.

I'd look for good deal on Lowrance Live 9 or 12, lots of sales out there. Same look and feel as your current HDS 9, likely your charts will work and then add a Halo 20+ (Zurk seems to be the man on this). You can then use your current screen and network it just as a sounder and use your new one as full map with radar overlay (I think you'll need a point 1 antenna or an autopilot antenna). Members have had troubles with the 3G radars, where I have an older Simrad unit and it is still going strong. Sometimes old open box units come up on eBay but rarely are they complete.
Thanks! This seems ideal

Whatever you do make sure you have the overlay. If you can find a 3g around you will save a bunch of money. Those 24 plus halos are really expensive.

I run a 3g with the HDS 9 and also have a 7 networked. The radar works awesome. With the overlay over a chart takes guesswork out of it.

Whatever you do make sure you have the overlay. If you can find a 3g around you will save a bunch of money. Those 24 plus halos are really expensive.

I run a 3g with the HDS 9 and also have a 7 networked. The radar works awesome. With the overlay over a chart takes guesswork out of it.
Have you had any reliability issues with the 3g unit?

Have you had any reliability issues with the 3g unit?

No issues with mine . But some have quit over time. They just stop working but some are fine for years . I bought mine used. Would probably do it again.

The halos scare me a bit. Lot of money for something that isn't proven yet over time to keep working. Based on what happened with 3g I am hesitant.

It's crazy those old furono last years and years.

No issues with mine . But some have quit over time. They just stop working but some are fine for years . I bought mine used. Would probably do it again.

The halos scare me a bit. Lot of money for something that isn't proven yet over time to keep working. Based on what happened with 3g I am hesitant.

It's crazy those old furono last years and years.
Good to know. I'll definitely look a bit more into the 3G option. As long as it does its job and gives me a few good years ill be happy.

Island Fisherman just had a good article on radar. I recently subscribed to the magazine and have found it to be very informative.

Hopefully, this link will work

Thanks for that link, I learned a fair bit. New to me boat has a radar but I'm very inexperienced in use and setup. I have to look at my system more to see if the chart plotter will connect to the radar directly, right now they are separate... Overlay would be really great.

Thanks for that link, I learned a fair bit. New to me boat has a radar but I'm very inexperienced in use and setup. I have to look at my system more to see if the chart plotter will connect to the radar directly, right now they are separate... Overlay would be really great.

When new to using radar, use it as much as possible every time your out on the water especially on perfectly sunny days! get to know what your on screen targets look like.
Then when you really need it you'll be comfortable and competent in its use..dont wait till its foggy as fk

When new to using radar, use it as much as possible every time your out on the water especially on perfectly sunny days! get to know what your on screen targets look like.
Then when you really need it you'll be comfortable and competent in its use..dont wait till its foggy as fk
Ya thanks I will do for sure. Only time I spent looking at radar was in a crew boat in the snow in the dark in Kwatna inlet. Guy running the boat wasn't expected with radar and wasn't doing well at it, luckily one of my coworkers had been a commercial fisherman and got it sorted out. Was a perfect example of needing to know what your looking at.

great advice! When I first got mine I used it every day to get it dialed in safely

Good advice, it’s also mentioned to do this in the article that bill310 linked. Definitely will be turning mine on more this season

Back