Garmin Warranty Experience, in a Good Way

Flashman

Figured I would share a surprising warranty experience I had recently.

Bought a used boat in 2017. It came with a fairly high end Garmin multifunction display. Last year the screen started to delaminate. I figured it was over 5 years old, I got it used, didn't have a receipt, would be a total waste of time trying to talk to Garmin about warranty. I had no idea what the warranty on it was anyhow. It was a discontinued model. A buddy encouraged me to give them a call, said maybe they would have some kind of trade in credit like Simrad runs. Ah what the hell it's just an e-mail. Not much effort required.

Low and behold they e-mailed back asking for a phone number to reach me at to discuss it. Talked to the guy who explained they didn't make my model anymore but they would send me the equivalent current year unit. Full warranty coverage, no charge, free shipping. They would send me the new one, after taking a credit card deposit then I could send my old one in. That way I wasn't without a display at all and they would refund the deposit when they got my old one. They even gave me a shipping label for free return shipping of my old one.

Never would I have ever imagined this kind of service for old marine electronics.

That's unexpectedly excellent.
I've been grumpy about Garmin since last week when we spent an hour trolling for lings around and across a 95' hump that was actually170' at all times. Like they paid some kids to create content for their fishing chart.
Screenshot_20230813-150521.png

Back