Lures, Tackle and Stuff we used to rave on about...

fishin_magician

All the things we used to fish with...

In recent years it seems the items we use when fishing have changed and fishing reports recommending what tackle we use and are most successful on have changed as well.

I recall Herring Strip was a staple then anchovies really took over and strip bit the dust. Strip always gave some fantastic strikes. I still fish strip on occasion when I feel inclined to cut a few.

Lucky Louie plugs.

Hoochies...in my home area...Army Trucks were a staple, it used to be on the radio "you got your truck on?" Now you don't hear about it...hardly ever. Then it was Purple Haze, purple haze, purple Haze.... Or white or white-yellow or green and white...none of this "gotta be glow" stuff unless it was a straight up glow. The Spackleback was popular too. South Bowen it was bait, a 700 spoon and the old standby....a simple uncomplicated Green-Aurora White with sparkle. Also the Howe Sound Special....

When we went off Nanaimo-Gabriola we used to put down 5" Tomic 179...had to have that down...good lord... Used to be dynamite!! The 232 was 365 days a year......and a 500 when the day was right.

for the Coho show we used to put a hot shot out and limit in no time!

Spoons...had to be a 50-50 Tom Mack from a no. 3 to no. 5... And a straight white. J79... All day everyday. Luhr Jensen Diamond Kings...oh yeah! 232...gotta have it.

Then the Coyote pack hit and it was Cop Car, Yellow Tail, and the whole line up...then came Silver Horde...etc etc.

Times have changed... What's different in your area? What about the days gone by?

Late 70's in Alberni harbour was a Tee spoon behind a Abe n al, herring strip or a Alaskan plug

Speaking of Alaskan plugs, was at the local tackle store last week and noticed he's got about a half dozen of em on his oldies shelf. Hundred bucks a pop. Hes got a few Louie's and some macs squids too but I never asked how much after hearing the price for his Alaskans.

Don't know about now, but I spent holidays and summers in Chemainus in the 70s. Tom Macks, green or white/pink Henry Smith, herring strip, and white hootchies were what Grandpa put down at Tent or Porlier. I got a 32 on a green and white bucktail in the kelp outside Porlier in 1977, but that was a one time thing. Also got a few winters off the dock at Christmas time in the early days of buzz bombs or on a fresh herring jigged beneath the dock.

Nice thing about cut plug herring---- if you mentioned that phrase to a sportie in 1950 and a sportie in 2015, both would immediately know what you're talking about.

It's probably because it's so easy to spell and just so easy to say....it just rolls off the tongue.....

Buzz bombs and Zingers.....when there were herring sheets...

Berry's Flashtails and FuddleDuddle Bucktails used to slam 'em.

ah...cut plugs..I have a soft spot for those...

And dont forget raked fire cracker herring , 1-2 oz with 8-10 pulls off the kelp beds.

Apexes.. The small all the way to the largest...I remember putting these down on an original blue scotty to 55 feet about 25 feet back....hang on!

straight White, Green and White, Pink and Yellow...lol.

Luhr Jensen J Plug...with the harness. my first TYEE one that one. likely still around somewhere.

A Point Defiance Spoon...behind a dodger....a medium Chinook would bust the hook right off the spoon sometimes...

Herring scooped up by pretty young girls in shorts and the ever so fashionable yellow rubber deck boots at a time when Campbell River boasted four bait barges with lineups of guide boats every morning at five AM.

Live herring from the Hyak fuel barge in Gibsons. Mooched on a 9' leader below a bright orange 2oz crescent sinker. Love mooching. Wish there was still live bait available somewhere south of Secret Cove!

Mercer's Secret Cove may be the only BC live bait supplier left not sure about the island if there is any ???

anyways anyone do a VHS to DVD conversion

have an old copy of Salmon No1 with Gary Cooper

bet that will bring back a few....lol

Green or yellow flashtail fished behind an Abe 'n Al rotating chrome flasher was the ticket 30 years ago in Blackfish Sound.
Before that the Tom Mack dodger and TM spoon was as deadly as they come anywhere.
In the 70's it was mooching live bait before downriggers were avail to get down deep to the Chinooks.

My first ever salmon was a 5lb Coho I caught on a tea spoon and dodger off the spit at Hornby Island from our 12' Springbok aluminum boat around 1970.

Great memories!

Tyeefisher.....As a young man guiding in the riviera in those days.....i gotta say the girls in the cut offs and bikini tops really made my morning bait run!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of that stuff still works but you have to drag it to get anything on it instead of falling in love with "something new"

Cut Plugs still work. Pretty much everywhere and for everything. If I had to choose to stick to one method for the rest of my life, mooching a cutty would be it:D

Apexes.. The small all the way to the largest...I remember putting these down on an original blue scotty to 55 feet about 25 feet back....hang on!

straight White, Green and White, Pink and Yellow...lol.
Damn! beat me to it! I remember that they were going to be a huge revolution in how we fished and EVERYONE had to have them. I still have a bunch in the tackle box, but never seem to use them anymore. I guess the tackle companies have caught me too many times on too many other latest and greatest revolutions ;-)

Back