What are they biting?

Hublocker

I aplogize in advance for the dumb question, but I haven't really angled for salmon since I was 12 in 1965.

I grew up in Port Hardy pulling a 4 1/2 Tom Mack behind a rowboat.

My friend has a small sailboat so we tried sailing out towards Point Atkinson yesterday, but the wind died down, so having bought fishing licences we thought we'd throw some lines in the water. Looking through his father in law's tackle box he inherited, we found some flashers and green and white hoochies, so I deployed one of them. We idled around the Point Grey Bell Buoy, also trolling with a Gibbs red Golf T that my friend said was deadly for coho for him when he was a kid.

It's a sailboat so we have no downrigger, just those old clip-on lead weights with the split ring on the end. I tried to get the flasher down at least 60 feet , but I was just guessing. We got no bites at all.

In any event, if we want to catch a spring before it closes or the odd errant coho, what should I have been putting behind the flasher?

Also, there were a lot of pinks jumping at the surface. If we want to fish those should we just be casting wth pink Zingers or Buzz Bombs?

Last edited:
I aplogize in advance for the dumb question, but I haven't really angled for salmon since I was 12 in 1965.

I grew up in Port Hardy pulling a 4 1/2 Tom Mack behind a rowboat.

My friend has a small sailboat so we tried sailing out towards Point Atkinson yesterday, but the wind died down, so having bought fishing licences we thought we'd throw some lines in the water. Looking through his father in law's tackle box he inherited, we found some flashers and green and white hoochies, so I deployed one of them. We idled around the Point Grey Bell Buoy, also trolling with a Gibbs red Golf T that my friend said was deadly for coho for him when he was a kid.

It's a sailboat so we have no downrigger, just those old clip-on lead weights with the split ring on the end. I tried to get the flasher down at least 60 feet , but I was just guessing. We got no bites at all.

In any event, if we want to catch a spring before it closes or the odd errant coho, what should I have been putting behind the flasher?

Also, there were a lot of pinks jumping at the surface. If we want to fish those should we just be casting wth pink Zingers or Buzz Bombs?
I would go pick up a Deep diver planer, lemon lime glo flasher and a 3.5” herring aid glo looney
Spoon. 5ft leader. Good luck.

id guess your only 10 ft deep if your using the split ring style weights. get a dypsy diver, or get a cheep small manual downriggers off marketplace or even ditch the flasher and run just the spoon

Back