Lures, Tackle and Stuff we used to rave on about...

Used to use the 4 inch green apex back in the mid 80's off Parksville with great success. Caught a lot of salmon with those. Bet they would still work if a guy gave them a chance again. LOL

Used to use the 4 inch green apex back in the mid 80's off Parksville with great success. Caught a lot of salmon with those. Bet they would still work if a guy gave them a chance again. LOL

They still work awesome....last time I fished them for stale biting Coho we limited a crew of 3 in short order....when bait couldn't catch a cold...

The grandparents kept their boat moored at the old marina in front of Qualicum Beach, 17.5 glas ply called "Rip-off". We would head over to Lasqueti or the Sisters look for herring and get the rake out. That's all we ever used, herring 15 to 25 pulls and power mooch.

This thread deserves a better response than what I had alluded to before, mainly the live herring barges that were a major part of a mooching guides life in the 1980s. Magician asked the question about a piece of fishing tackle that was employed a lot at a particular time and is seldom used in this day and age and after some thought I would have to say it was the no. 1 Deep Six Planer. In that period of the late eighties when downriggers were still rather new and most were the Scott Plastics little blue manual model that could handle at most an eight pound weight maybe ten at a pinch, almost all guided cruisers in the Campbell River area trolled a herring strip or a cut plug behind a planer and that method caught many Chinook and Coho including some very large Tyee.

I particularly remember a local guide catching his guest a sixty pound Tyee on a planer and a bucktail fly on the periphery of the Tyee Pool that won first place in the coastwide Daiwa derby that existed for almost a decade. If any of you would like to see a picture of this fish including the actual bucktail and spinner it was caught on, just visit River Sportsman and it is hanging just over the fly tying department.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly (and I am not saying I do....):confused:, originally the deep 6 and other planers were built because downriggers were illegal. Considered to be Commercial gear, they were not allowed for sport fishing. Same thing about electric downriggers when they were first introduced, as they were also considered to be commercial gear, until sport anglers started to challenge that for handicapped anglers who could not crank up the old Armstrong models.

Could have been all old wives' tales as I was still so very young, a mere babe in the woods compared to a lot of you much more 'experienced' sporties. :cool:

If I remember correctly (and I am not saying I do....):confused:, originally the deep 6 and other planers were built because downriggers were illegal. Considered to be Commercial gear, they were not allowed for sport fishing. Same thing about electric downriggers when they were first introduced, as they were also considered to be commercial gear, until sport anglers started to challenge that for handicapped anglers who could not crank up the old Armstrong models.
Yes for a short time one needed a MD's clearance to operate electric downriggers but planers were on the market in one form or another for decades before that.

Buzz bombs and Zingers.....when there were herring sheets...

Berry's Flashtails and FuddleDuddle Bucktails used to slam 'em.

ah...cut plugs..I have a soft spot for those...

Way to go mentioning the Fuddle Duddle Bucktail the finest weapon in my fly box for skip fly fishing hungry Coho that were harassing herring in the kelp beds off Cape Mudge. Now for those guys that are wondering what the heck we are talking about. The fuddle duddle was a bucktail tied with a deep purple back, a few hairs of pink in the center over a white belly. Many tiers produced this fly in polar bear hair and deer hair but I think the name was coined originally by Bruce Colegrave who was working for the Radiant Tackle company back in the early 80s. They had come out with a line of bucktails in deer hair and they had invented some great names for the different flies in their collection such as Spring Fever, Ginger Jake and Bills Beau but the name Fuddle Duddle came out of a raucous parlimentary session at a time before cameras were allowed in the Parliment buildings. Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau had let go a remark that may or may not have been a bit rude to a member on the opposite side of the house and when the reporters of the day questioned him after the session he said oh no he had merely said fuddle duddle and a new bucktail got a name.

Way to go mentioning the Fuddle Duddle Bucktail the finest weapon in my fly box for skip fly fishing hungry Coho that were harassing herring in the kelp beds off Cape Mudge. Now for those guys that are wondering what the heck we are talking about. The fuddle duddle was a bucktail tied with a deep purple back, a few hairs of pink in the center over a white belly. Many tiers produced this fly in polar bear hair and deer hair but I think the name was coined originally by Bruce Colegrave who was working for the Radiant Tackle company back in the early 80s. They had come out with a line of bucktails in deer hair and they had invented some great names for the different flies in their collection such as Spring Fever, Ginger Jake and Bills Beau but the name Fuddle Duddle came out of a raucous parlimentary session at a time before cameras were allowed in the Parliment buildings. Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau had let go a remark that may or may not have been a bit rude to a member on the opposite side of the house and when the reporters of the day questioned him after the session he said oh no he had merely said fuddle duddle and a new bucktail got a name.

one of my earliest and fondest fishing memories involves these fuddle duddles.....I was looking in a shoebox the other day and I have a dozen of these...I still remember the one night bagging a limit of both Springs and Cohoes on this damn buck tail.......the Cohoes came first as the herring were all this color....and as the Sun started to disappear over the Island..the sky was pink, purple, white and grey...whamo....a 10 second shift of the engine into neutral and a double of 25 pounders hit hard. We landed both and tossed them out again. We landed both, put them out again and literally hooked up our second double in probably 2 minutes after we put the rods back in the rod holders and made another pass into the herring sheet.

yup, deep sixes...and a Berry's Flashtail used to be golden....yellow and white and green/blue and white used to rock. Chrome Island, Norris Rocks, Eagle Rock, Tribune Bay...look out!

Fresh raked liveys were killer too but when the fishing got slow..a livey on a 2 ounce with 40 pulls on a Longstone on a drop off Whaling Station Bay used to get it done....sure fire.

Damn those are great memories. I guided 5 years in the Charlottes and have experienced the Ultimate salmon fishing ever.....funny how my best memories were way back when long before that.

Thanks Tyeefisher....here's a fun clip for you... :) :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Cm90OgzKA

Thank you, for that Magician, I had no idea that it was even covered on youtube, I was working completely by memory. But there was something extremely important about that incident. I grew up in the Trudeau era and I was very taken by Trudeau mania but this event stood out in my memory because it was like finding out that your hero wasn't quite what you thought he was. But you are right the best fishing experiences I have ever had been right here at home in our own Georgia Strait. I was lucky enough to spend my youth as a fishing guide amongst calm seas and warm summers and the fishing in the early seventies was amazing. I was really grieving for the loss of our fishery during the nineties but the last couple of years I've seen a real change out there the Coho were back in 2013 like I hadn't seen in eighteen years and all of a sudden the kelp beds were full of bait and the bonaparte gulls were stitching the skies waiting for individual coho to chase the herring up to the surface so they could fill their bills.

The chinook fishing last summer was absolutely great and the winter fishing has seldom been better. Maybe there is hope after all and by the way I threw the flies out a few times last summer and while it was a little slow we still caught a few Coho out there and my old favorite the Grey Ghost was producing well enough to have been a lot of fun on light tackle.

Yes for a short time one needed a MD's clearance to operate electric downriggers but planers were on the market in one form or another for decades before that.

My dad was one of the first inC.R. To get an electric down rigger with a doctors note. He had only one lung due to asbestos contamination..
How about the red zap strappy tags you had to buy for your springs? Not gear, but still a blast from the past.

Yes, those red zap straps that had to go on any Chinook that was caught , a condition of your fishing license, I have a picture here of a fifty pound Tyee that I guided for guests in the Tyee pool in the mid to late eighties and it has one of those protruding out of its mouth. But I believe it was only for the one year and I think I still have some still kicking around here in an old filing cabinet.

mmmmmmm strip

I recall Herring Strip was a staple then anchovies really took over and strip bit the dust. Strip always gave some fantastic strikes. I still fish strip on occasion when I feel inclined to cut a few.

Found one shop last summer that had frozen Strip. Not quite the quality and only one size (smallish).

Put it out quite a few times and picked up all manner of small fishies, nothing of size though.

There is a lot of strip teaser heads still hanging around my fishing tackle collection and I am not entirely sure why I hold on to them. I know about the Baitrix thing a few years ago but as far as cutting bait or trying to run down an expensive and limited supply of herring strip because of past success well I think I have moved on. For those of you that like a little trivia from a bygone age I used to wash my teasers after a hard day fishing and then use a Q tip to apply a light coat of mineral oil in order to keep the plastic from turning cloudy.

Back