Lost Prawn Traps

C

Cam Coatta

Does anybody know if there are avenues to pursue to recover lost traps? My buoys are marked with my name and phone number. It is possible the traps were snagged by a passing log barge.

chance is they may be under water check at slack tide may get lucky otherwise log booms usually play for keeps and I have never seen those come back personally:(

chance is they may be under water check at slack tide may get lucky otherwise log booms usually play for keeps and I have never seen those come back personally:(

Yep... go back at low tide. You might get lucky, but they're lost if a boom or barge got them.[V]

Yep... go back at low tide. You might get lucky, but they're lost if a boom or barge got them.[V]

Not looking too positive. I had already checked at low tide and I know I used sufficient rope. Not a good start to the season.

Not looking too positive. I had already checked at low tide and I know I used sufficient rope. Not a good start to the season.

The small square style traps can go a surprising distance before they make it to the bottom with tides running like they have been the last few weeks. Also without additional weights in front of the first traps two small squares will walk with the tide if you set them where it's running pretty good. I stopped using the squares cause they kept walking into the abiss in the area I prawn... With the heavier traps I also started using much bigger bouys to avoid the "getting pulled under when the currents running" thing.

Failing any of the above being the case you've been ROBBED :( Which really sucks!!!

The small square style traps can go a surprising distance before they make it to the bottom with tides running like they have been the last few weeks. Also without additional weights in front of the first traps two small squares will walk with the tide if you set them where it's running pretty good. I stopped using the squares cause they kept walking into the abiss in the area I prawn... With the heavier traps I also started using much bigger bouys to avoid the "getting pulled under when the currents running" thing.

Failing any of the above being the case you've been ROBBED :( Which really sucks!!!

A couple years ago I got a message from the Coast Guard in Powell River saying that they had found my traps - from Schooner Cove.

A couple years ago I got a message from the Coast Guard in Powell River saying that they had found my traps - from Schooner Cove.

Log barges heading into the river and the backside of gambier island are a good spot to look. I have buddies that work on the tugs and it seems every few trips they end up with a string of gear. Unfourtunatley most times they have no means to manouver around gear thats set and run at night alot. Loosing gear sucks. Hopefully it wasn't stolen.

We have received our traps back a couple of times. Of course, a small town helps I am sure. Unfortunately though, they had been under water for so long, they weren't much good anymore. Once they went under because the bouy had collapsed and the other time, I think we must have dropped them into a hole.

So, while there is a chance they will come back, the probability that they will come back in time that they are still usable is slim.

Back