Crabbing fundamentals

New parts ya learn about. Never heard of hog rings before.

I like to use Steak soaked in Milk. My old commercial friend used old red meat soaked in milk and said it can’t be beat. I have had really good success.

BBB

So many floats in the Bay itself this year! How can anyone be catching anything with consistency?

Where does one find those stainless crimp rings?
Try Amazon for hog rings: For plastic dog fencing Canadian tire garden center comes in a roll, make a 12X12 square and fold corner to corner.

Eden Farms 3/8" Stainless Steel Hog Rings, USA Made, for Crab pots, Cages, Traps, Fencing, Sausage Casings, etc.​

Well thanks again everyone, huge success! I caught more crab than I've ever seen in my sparse and abortive career to date. Newly thawed chicken carcasses with some fish oil drizzled over them caught the best haul. Subsequent sets had fish heads and prawn heads added to the chicken, but didn't improve the catch rate. Came home with 10 keepers plus a couple more we ate on site.

I zap strapped a simple rectangular bait box into the centre of a 24" x 24" Danielson type trap with one of the two drop down doors crimped closed so it couldn't pop open and collapse the trap when hitting bottom. I also added a 3" pencil lead weight to keep each door closed. 9 lb lead weight clipped on 20 ft before the trap, as per prawn trap doctrine. I used leaded line but doubt I'd go that route again, the rope is stiff and hard to handle. 3/8" poly is less money, handles and splices way nicer. Just use a clip weight or two to stop it floating.

Sunshine coast crab like fresh bait. 50-125 works good around Thormanby, I stay clear of Buccaneer bay.

First morning out in a 14 ft loaded with crab and prawn traps, I needed to make space in the boat so I just dumped the crab trap right outside our dock area in Buccaneer Bay at 90 ft. Figured I would pull it and move it later. Came back after 6 hours and whammo!

20221002_184157.jpg

I couldn't believe it given the number of floats I was seeing in there back in the summer. We moved the trap around a little and tried 45 ft and 60 ft water in same area, 3-4 keepers per set in those spots. I guess it makes sense, there are two minor fresh water sources entering nearby in what is an otherwise pretty dry area. And the local commie boat seems to always have a trapline set in that bay.

Once we got low tides during daylight, I collected a big feed of clams, and a few of them went in the trap with the chicken for a 2 hr soak. That one produced four keepers plus a red rock that was as big as the dungies. I figured crabs eat clams naturally, crack a few open and see what happens.

strap the bait or bait holder to the top. keeps the small ones from diminishing the bait so fast.
Good point, I'll make the modification when I go back in spring.

Back