(How to) retrofit Bauer prawn trap with rot cord

Cachalot

Hey all - I know the question on whether Bauer prawn traps need rot cord, etc has been asked here before, but my $0.02:

1. Currently DFO is suggesting the use of rot cord on all traps- and hints at its eventual adoption as a condition of license: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html

2. Theres been some discussion as to whether the non-gated and open hole of a prawn trap means that prawn can escape and abandoned traps pose little risk as ghost gear.

My take is that DFO will soon mandate, and that as is, one can't be certain that abandoned Bauer traps (with their exceptional life span and design) dont pose risk as ghost gear to orawn or bycatch. I believe they could.

So if you are wondering how to retrofit your traps I can share my solution.

20230703_142909.jpg
For those not endowed in the ways of Red Green or handiness - you only need one or two of the tools above. Your objective is to remove the metal wire holding the access port on the traps and replace esch with rot cord. Rot cord is just cotton cord but can be bought at Island Outfitters for a couple bucks.

1. With the metal rings still attached ( you need this to keep the tension of the wire that makes the gate hinges), start by tying tight reef (square) knots adjacent to metal wire. Use a thief knot if you want to show your friends and bore them with knotty knowledge. Because rot cord is more delicate, I tie a knot for every lattice square.

2. AFTER all knots are tied. Use one of the tools above to cut or pry the wire hinges. Take your time as to avoid cutting into the plastic dip protecting the trap.

3. Make sure the gate opens and closes properly. You now have a trap that is proactive in regs, fishes the same, and if you were to ever lose it you can at least take comfort its not harvesting your future prawns :)

Cheers all. I hope this very basic tutorial helps at least a few. Feel free to do a neater job than I did brlow. Happy fishing

20230703_143119.jpg

Or you could tie in a piece of rot cord between the bungee and the clip that secures it, no need to mess with the access hatch clips.

pretty sure the prawns would still have to open that door once it finally rots away. I’d think they would go out the four other holes before it rots away and all the bait inside is gone
You could very well be right - but I did test. The force of the bungee pulls the gate completely off when the cord isn't holding it in pace. It's assumed that prawn will escape the trap holes if left, and likely some do. I'm not sure if all do, or if other bycatch could.

Or you could tie in a piece of rot cord between the bungee and the clip that secures it, no need to mess with the access hatch clips.
Thanks Sly - you're likely correct that that would be the simplest approach. I thought about it, but my concern was that if the bungee rot cord went, then the gate would remain shut. Having it strung this way allows for the bungee to physically pull the gate off once rot cord becomes weak. I did a test - seemed to work.

Back